closing of disney stores this probably doesnt go here but..

GrannyJill2

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
I really do mourn the passing of the Disney Stores, but to me they've been pretty much gone for awhile now anyway... :(

Remember when they used to carry collectables, watches, and lots of great adult clothing? Now the only thing the DS has to offer for me is the occasional antenna topper. *sigh*

I agree with you about the nice stuff the stores used to carry. Just before our mall store closed, they carried every Disney toy and a small selection of children's clothes - that was IT.

Too bad........I would gladly shop there every week if there was something worth buying.

SnowWhite5669

Originally posted by COProgressFan
egionet -

the Disney Store at the Westfarms Mall in CT has reopened after a refurb. It's not that nice though, its just a relatively generic store that seems to sell mostly crap as the disney stores do these days. It didn't even seem like they had that much plush in there either (you used to be able to find pretty much any character). Right now its filled with Halloween costumes - not too exciting.

CoP

I hate to disagree with you but I helped open that store and it is the new Castle store and is absolutely gorgeous!! There were 50 stores that were slated to close but are NOT going to close now. They are looking for investors but the company is definately doing much better. There have been 9 new stores that have opened in the last month.

COProgressFan

Originally posted by SnowWhite5669
I hate to disagree with you but I helped open that store and it is the new Castle store and is absolutely gorgeous!! There were 50 stores that were slated to close but are NOT going to close now. They are looking for investors but the company is definately doing much better. There have been 9 new stores that have opened in the last month.

I don't know... I mean the old store desparately needed to be redone since it was one of the earlier late 1980's style stores. But I found the giant Mickey head at the entrance tacky. The store was bright and loud (bright is good, blasting Disney music is not) and it didn't seem like there was any merchandise that anyone over the age of 8 would actually want. It seems like it lost a lot of its Disney charm, now it's just like any other store.

CoP

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by SnowWhite5669

It doesn't really matter how gorgeous the store is if no one wants to buy the merchandise...

Tip of the Day to Disney Marketing -

Focus your attention on the adults - we're the ones with actual $$ to spend!

:animwink:

wannabeBelle

you tell em Cymbal!!! I completely agree. Although kids go through more clothing due to changing sizes etc, than we as adults do hence the huge kids line. In addition, a little bird once told me that they had cut down or eliminated the Adult clothing in the Disney Stores as that was the most stolen merchandise!!!:rolleyes: :lookaroun :lookaroun Belle

enfilm

They closed both stores in Boston and the store in Cambridge and Watertown (suburb of Boston). and they closed the store I used to work for in CT (Danbury) They also closed the Gallery store out in Natick abot 40 min from Boston. They shipped all the classics collection pieces to the gallery store in NYC. I was incredibly psyched to see the artist's proof of a limited edition piece that had long been sold out there. I picked it up in a mili-second.

I must confess that I haven't bought anything from the stores in years though (aside from an occasional gift fot my niece). They have nothing for adults anymore (used to love the watches and embroidered shirts) and I'm getting my collectibles/ limited edition stuff from ebay. So I suppose I shouldn't complain too much that they were'nt able to make a profit

Ed

cymbaldiva

Valid points you make, Miss Belle -

Makes me greatful yet again that I chose not to actually have children! I'm also thinking that if I did, I wouldn't pay Disney Store prices for clothes for the little buggers - kids grow so fast!

What really troubles me is that the adult merchandise was stolen the most :confused: - I would've thought that it would have been the kiddie stuff...

Smaller = easier to steal

Go figure! :lol:

Coree

For everyone that has gotten used to not going in their local Disney stores because there's no adult merchandise left--go back and check it out. We have 10-15 styles of adult T-shirts, hooded sweatshirts, PJs and slippers, several styles of snowglobes that are adorable, and coffee mugs on the way. Also, the T-shirts are no longer just the standard characters we all got used to seeing--Mickey, Pooh characters, Grumpy, and Tink. Just last night we got Lion King, Finding Nemo, and Brother Bear T-shirts in--for adults! So, I guess I'm saying that the people in charge are trying to right some of their mistakes. Now it's time to show them that it was a huge mistake to take adult merchandise away in the first place because look how well it sells.

In terms of how expensive the merchandise is--yes, regular price can be expensive (although pretty much any clothes with a "label" are pricy--check out Gap Kids). However, Disney is great with sales. We have some half-price adult T-shirts which are now on $8.25, others for $12.99, we often have kids T-shirts for only $5.99 each when you buy at least two.

There are lots of changes going on. I don't know that they will save the chain, but I encourage you all to go check it out.

SnowWhite5669

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
It doesn't really matter how gorgeous the store is if no one wants to buy the merchandise...

Tip of the Day to Disney Marketing -

Focus your attention on the adults - we're the ones with actual $$ to spend!

:animwink:

Inside tip, check the stores in the coming weeks, I opened nearly 50 boxes of shipment the other night and 95% of the merchandise is for adults ;)

wannabeBelle

I would love to see Princess merchandise for us Adult size Princesses!!! I always see such cute PJs, etc for the kids and some of them I would wear but I am an adult size medium!!! Any word on that?? Thnaks for the updates on the merchandise though!!! we appreciate it!! Belle

Coree

So far, Tink is the only "princess" I've seen on the adult merchandise we've gotten in. If I see of anything on the way or we get anything in I'll post here. There has been princess adult merchandise in past years so it isn't out of the question.

nikechic

Originally posted by enfilm
They also closed the Gallery store out in Natick abot 40 min from Boston. They shipped all the classics collection pieces to the gallery store in NYC. I was incredibly psyched to see the artist's proof of a limited edition piece that had long been sold out there. I picked it up in a mili-second.

Only reason to go to Natick was for the Disney Store...well maybe that and Ben and Jerry's. But sadly the Disney Store is gone...:cry: :cry: :cry:

wdwhoneymooner

Originally posted by nikechic
Only reason to go to Natick was for the Disney Store...well maybe that and Ben and Jerry's. But sadly the Disney Store is gone...:cry: :cry: :cry:

I used to live in Framingham (next door), when did the Natick store close up? That was a tough location because it was nearly a lone freestanding spot next to a closed JustForFeet shop and a Ben & Jerry's.

nikechic

Originally posted by wdwhoneymooner
I used to live in Framingham (next door), when did the Natick store close up? That was a tough location because it was nearly a lone freestanding spot next to a closed JustForFeet shop and a Ben & Jerry's.

It closed earlier this year...Can't remember when though:veryconfu I was a little ticked off when I drove all teh way out there to pick something up (and stop at the Body Shop in the Mall) and it was closed. So I went to Solomon Pond instead but they didn't have what I was looking for.
BWT I live in Worcester...of course I am not proud to admit that but I went WPI so that probably explains it.

wdwhoneymooner

BWT I live in Worcester...of course I am not proud to admit that but I went WPI so that probably explains it.

Nothing wrong with WPI. Took a course in the campus off 128.......geez I'm drawing a blank in regards to the name of the city! Friday brain freeze.....:brick:

nikechic

Originally posted by wdwhoneymooner
Nothing wrong with WPI. Took a course in the campus off 128.......geez I'm drawing a blank in regards to the name of the city! Friday brain freeze.....:brick:

Waltham???
There is nothing wrong WPI, best engineering school around but in one of the worst cities around. (Don't even think about MIT...all they know how to do is look things up in a book, no companies like to hire them)

egionet

Waltham???
There is nothing wrong WPI, best engineering school around but in one of the worst cities around. (Don't even think about MIT...all they know how to do is look things up in a book, no companies like to hire them)

WPI is cool, but Clemson is sooo much cooler!!! Go to a real school and move to the South!!!! Not to mention Clemson is a clean town, and totally the place to be. And we are awesome engineers.

And this had nothing to do with the Disney Store. Sorry!

enfilm

The Disney store in Natick closed. I guess I'll have to go across the street to Jordan's Furniture to get my fix of a themed environment. I've been meaning to get out there and check out the Imax theatre.

What stores are left in the Boston area? is Saugus still open? Braintree?

Ed

VILLAINSRULE

I heard a disturbing rumor yesterday--that the Disney Stores will be closing their doors in February. I had remarked to some of my co-workers at the Disney Store that I thought it was odd that the last pick up dates for The Lion King and Nemo presales are only 3 days apart--in 4 years I have never seen that happen, so I got to thinking that perhaps February is the cut off date for the stores........then I heard that rumor yesterday from a source in WDW (manager of a store in Downtown Disney), and I cant say that it is true, but with all the rumors, etc, it gets you to wondering---where there is smoke there is fire, you know........Has anyone else (in WDW or elsewhere) heard anything? Is there some kind of February cut off? Has anyone in merchandising seen any plans beyond the Christmas season? I just wish they would tell us one way or the other--that seems like the fair thing to do, but I am sure the stores know if they announced imminent closings they would lose a lot of people during their most busy quarter.......:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom