*clears throat* SOURING

EPCOTPluto

It's fun. I ride for the music, but I agree... it's first thing in the morning, FP or nothing for me. Never waited more than 20 minutes for it, and I don't really think it's worth more than 30-45. :shrug:
And I also agree. It's a usual routine for us to head over to Soarin' first and get FPs. I think the longest we had to wait was 45 min. one time because we decided to use the Stand-By line back in 2005, the year Soarin' opened. It's a good attraction with great music in the queue and during the ride, but I wish they clean up the film a bit. The specks and dirt is obvious in both theaters. :shrug: Otherwise, the scenes shown are beautiful and meaningful. If not randomized. :lookaroun

diddy_mouse

When you wait Two Hours, you expect to meet Jeebus and shake his hand while simultaneously sky diving into a Volcano.

Bottom Line is, don't wait in line unless you know that it's just a ride and as such will be short and hardly worth it. Because there is no ride worth more than a two hour wait.

That said, Lee said it best. I love me some Soarin'.

I agree with all of this. :D

richiericher22

I love the ride, but i hate, absolutely HATE the wait! I've only been on it once, but the wait was about an hr and a half. But I thought it was worth it. I thought that it was extremely beautiful. The screen could have been a bit bigger, like if it took up most of the room, kind of like those dome IMAX theatres, so that way when you look up you see a sky, but I don't see that coming in the picture at all. It's a good ride and I hope they don't shut it down anytime soon. Refurb, maybe but idk, I won't be going back until a long long time. But I agree the wait was bad, but i enjoy the ride=]:)

EPCOT Explorer

To each his own. :D

I've always seen the park as primarily a place to poke around and soak up ambiance, with a handful of decent rides thrown in.

It's both to me. I talk about WS in my TR..a lot. Rediscovered it this trip, so to speak. I used to be much more heavy on FW.

Ride diversity is better, I agree. Quality and cohesivness...Meh, let's not turn this into a EPCOT Wa- I mean, thread. :D

EpcotServo

It *was* the best, when they still had their waffle fries. It's still excellent, but those fries were awesome, and a great change from the normal theme park fries. I love their offerings - so much different from what we have here. Actually, that goes for all of DL's quick service food.

Sorry, back on topic... :)

WHAT? When did they change!?!? I had them in 2007!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!??!?
:cry:

To get back on topic, John Hench insisted that Soarin' was effective because it replicated reality. It gave people the sensation of what it was really like to do something they will never have the opportunity to do in real life. But, I guess it's not affective for some people who don't see it as enhanced reality.

rickmusic53

...yeah, not a fan. *shrugs*

Im sure I am the minority here on this one, but we waited 45 minutes to get on (not too bad) BUT! Wow what a boring area to stand in, nothing to look at but cement and those games they play on the walls which got about as annoying as that song at the end of the Nemo ride (dont get me started on that big blue world song. lol) We were speaking to the cast member who was in charge of the "rope" and she was saying that 99% of the time the wait is 2 hours or more, she has seen it as high at 5 HOURS on new years!!!

When I got off that ride, I said "I wouldnt wait 20 minutes to ride that again..."

I thought......"all the hype for THAT???"...
Since you are obviously too good to wait in line like everyone else, can you do us a favor? Please don't go back to WDW. The rest of us enjoy every little part of every park and nothing sucks more than to stand in line at a ride with an "prissy ______" like you.

Future Guy

I like Soarin'. I'm not about to wait two hours for it, but I like it. My main criticism is all the hard cuts in the film from one scene to the next. Couldn't there have been some kind of transition? I'm pretty sure that even Windows Movie Maker lets you do transitions.

I don't understand why people are willing to wait so long for it, as though it were the Second Coming of Elvis and not a poor man's simulator.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
John Hench insisted that Soarin' was effective because it replicated reality
A lot of simulators do the same. And attractions. Not just Soarin' - an attraction with a run of the mill motion base cleverly engineered to be upside down and a normal Omnimax dome. Horizons had 2 of these, as a small part of the main attraction. Not as the star of the show. Or maybe I`m just too cynical after endless Discovery programs and Mouse publicity where the ride system and its meccano design is pushed down our throats like its the next gen EMV or AGV.

Soarin' could be better at replicating reality if the film was kept clean. There is no excuse for the ammount of dust. Yes, IMAX film is large, that`s why the projection rooms are meant to be clean rooms. If my local Multiplex can do it for its IMAX then surely Epcot can too?

EPCOT Explorer

^That too.

Another thing on the transitions and illusions... Why can we see the screen when we enter the hanger. Totally kills the illusion of actually flying. You can SEE the screen. Why not keep is dark? Or project hanger doors on it?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's a good ride, not a great one, IMO. Definitely not worth anything over a 30-minute wait though. And the mass of humanity that surges toward that ride first thing in the morning never ceases to amaze me. Then again so does the fact that I often find myself in that human mud slide.....

Ziffell

^That too.

Another thing on the transitions and illusions... Why can we see the screen when we enter the hanger. Totally kills the illusion of actually flying. You can SEE the screen. Why not keep is dark? Or project hanger doors on it?

:sohappy: Always thought the same thing. I never understood the lack of effort to hide that.

LoriMistress

Maybe it was meant as a joke, but... maybe you'd like it better if you spelled the name of the attraction correctly.
grammar-nazi.jpg

the-reason14

I remember the first time I got to ride soarin, it wasnt officially open and we had to go through a backstage area way back in spring 2005. OMG, it was sooo great! I remember being so happy that they cloned it as I never saw myself going to DL more than once(got to go this past summer yea!!)so I was glad it made it to epcot. Fast forward a few years, and I feel completely different. Its still a nice ride, but when I "introduced" it to my mom and aunt later in 2005 and about a year later they just wanted to keep riding it over and over. It became dull. Its nice once, or twice, but 5 or 6 times a day uhn uhn. Its not that kind of ride. But now I try to ride it atleast once per trip, if I miss it, oh well, if I get to do it, cool. But its not like space mt. so I could careless about it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
^That too.

Actually, opening some sort of hanger doors would be really cool, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom