Claustrophobia in the parks

KelsaBels

Hi, I just wanted to add that some of these people had some good suggestions to try.

Of course, (since it's what I do for a living :animwink: ), I would recommend working with someone on this. I know you mentioned you don't have insurance, but if you look around, I would think someone would be willing to work with you on a sliding scale basis. It might take some work to find a good fit who also has a sliding scale, but I would think it would be worth it in the end if it ends your panic attacks!!! Definitely work on your relaxation techniques so they become a good habit that become second nature for you. Good luck!

AutumnKlassic

My mom just recently got dignosed with anxiety, even though my dad and I always thought she had it, and started taking the medicine the doctor proscribbed her. THe first medicine did nothing, neither the second. She was about to give up when her doctor made her start writing down what was going on when she had an attack. We noticed that when anything out of her everyday norm happened that was when she got anxious. With our trip to disney I was very careful to keep her on the same sleep and eating schedule she normally has and to keep a very close eye on her. With the exception of the MVMCP night that we stayed up. She kept her attacks to a minimum.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
These are all great ideas. Unfortunately, I do not have health insurance or a physician in Florida, so I do not have access to talk therapy or prescriptions. Even if I did, I have already been on most anti depressants and anti anxiety medication in the past, and cannot take any of them due to reactions to the medications. Strangely enough, Paxil was the worst for me, which is weird because it works so well with so few side effects for so many.

Because of the specific situation I am in, which I'd rather not go into gory details here, therapy has not had an effect on my panic and anxiety disorders. Some of these breathing techniques and forced thought ideas seem like a good shot, though.

Piglet, some advice I'd like to offer is to not neccessarily be looking for places to avoid. I mean, yes, avoid M:S because of all Disney rides, you're literally stuck in a small box for that one, but don't be avoiding most others you would have tried otherwise.

An example - people have had full blown attacks of clasutrophobia in the Universe of Energy which has no restraint, is massive, and is typically uncrowded. So, it certainly doesn't fit any profile of triggers, but it can happen. I don't want you thinking you can't possibly go onto Spaceship Earth because of the ascent tunnel or into Gran Fiesta because of the tunnel at the start because someone else may have had an attack there.

I guess I don't recommend getting it into your head that you can't do something via the "power of suggestion." The thought that someone else got scared there, thus you might get scared there, and thus you might be scared of being scared in public , and thus avoid the area. If it happened to someone else, it doesn't mean it will happen to you.

And to note - if it does happen to you, one of the things you might want to tell yourself is that no matter what, someone will come rescue you. Like with RnRc, the vehicle was going to eventually move forward to unload or a CM was going to come unload the people if for some reason it really was stuck. It would never just sit there forever.

Doors have hydrolic system overrides, seat belts have an airhose system then can be disconnected, and other restraints can similiarly be undone in any sort of dire circumstances with ease. There are stairs to everywhere and walkways you'd never ntoice, but they do exist. And your friendly CM's know exactly what they're doing - and if you still have doubts, they never work alone :)

minnie2000

I've never had a panic attack, but I am a bit claustraphobic. I am OK in all queue areas, but I have avoided MS because I know I could not cope in the small ride car, and I don't like over the shoulder restraints. I am not a fast coaster person, so that doesn't really matter.

I also hate being in a crowd, so we go to WDW in the (so-called) low season. I find this also affects me in other ways - I don't like being in a plane, I will fly, but I am always glad to land, I hate boats, and even in tall buildings I feel uncomfortable because I don't want to use the lift, and I can't get out in a hurry. Also, I can't go on tube-style water slides, only the open ones.

I have never used medication, I just tend to avoid the situations where I feel uncomfortable, but if this doesn't work for you, I would try some of the suggestions people have already made.

blackerbys17

Piglet, somebody mentioned something I TOTALLY agree with. The last thing you want to start doing is avoid places that you think may cause a panic attack or where you have had one because if you start doing that, in 5 years you will find that you are avoiding EVERYTHING. Places don't bring on panic attacks, your reaction to certain stimuli is what causes them.

One thing that may help you whenever you get that feeling right before a panic attack is to recognize that what you are feeling is a rush of adrenaline. You feel that MANY times for many different reasons that DON'T cause a panic attack if you think about it. Adrenaline is your body's response to excitement, good or bad. You feel that way when you fall in love, when you are going to a fun place, when you win the lottery, so many other instances when you don't have a panic attack. Just remember that it is your reaction to your body's surge of adrenaline that causes you to feel ill.

To put it VERY simply, it really is mind over matter. If you don't mind, IT DON'T MATTER! YOU are in control of your body, your thoughts, your feelings, you are the BOSS!

I know it is hard to remember all these things when you feel ill that is why you have to start small. You need to being to desensytize yourself to these feelings. What youneed to do is make a list of places or situations that really stress you out and label them 1-10, 1 being the least stressfull, 10 being the most. Begin with #1, expose yourself to that situation or place and remember your coping statements, this can not kill you, never has, never will, this will pass, in a few minutes you will begin to feel better. Repeat this process over the next few days until you can go there or do whatever your step #1 was with no-little anxiety. Continue this process until you reach #10. Mind you, your biggest stressor (#10) might be traveling around the world so obviously, there is no time frame as to when to complete this therapy. (I have yet to do my #10 but it is coming up soon!)

The point is by doing this, you will be winning little challenges with yourself, mini triumphs and you will begin to regain control, TRUST ME! I am always available if you need to talk. FYI, I do have a AA in Psychology and generally enjoy helping people so anything I can do, I am here for you.

I promise, YOU WILL GET MUCH BETTER!:wave:

Fantasmic!329

My mom has some minor claustrophobic issues, and she can't/won't do Space Mountain, RnRC, or M:S. She got extremely uncomfortable in the queue for Roger Rabbit in DL.

I have even more minor claustrophobic issues. But I still won't go near RnR or M:S.

EpcotGrl

This might sound a little ridiculous, but have you thought of taking up yoga/meditation? I always thought it was for "crazy new age types" (no offense :wave: ), but since starting Yoga I've found it's helped everything from migraines to my fear of heights. Don't know the how or why, but any little bit helps :) Hope you find something that works for you! :wave:

rainfully

I have mild claustrophobia... I can't even watch burried alive scenes in movies without freaking out... I find myself needing to catch my breath.

The only time though I've ever had a problem at the parks was of course durring the infamous M:S. For the most part I'm okay with it, as long as the ride starts immediately after the capsule is closed. One time they closed our capsule... and it seemed to take FOREVER to start the ride... I started freaking out and I was litterally seconds away from banging on the door and yelling "LET ME OUT" when the ride finally started up...

The only other "ride" I've ever had a problem with isn't even in Disney... The St. Louis Arch!! Those capsules are so tiny... and there's a window to look out, but sometimes all you can see is a wall 3 inches away. It scares me to think that if power went out, you'd be stuck in there.

minnie2000

So what do you do? You just ruled out 99% of the attractions at WDW?

No, not at all. In Epcot, I go on everything except MS. In MK the only things I don't go on are Space Mountain, SGE (I have never been on that but Alien Encounter put me off!), and I can't remember if there are shoulder harnesses on BTR, but I haven't been on that for a long time anyway. I go on everythink in AK except EE, and MGM is not one of our favourite parks anyway so we don't go often, but the only things I avoid there are RNRC, Star Tours and of course TOT, which would be my ultimate nightmare!

When I said I didn't like boats, I only mean boats on the sea, I am fine with IASW etc.!

jtced

My issue isn't really on any rides. It's the que lines. Not the fact of how narrow they are, but how close some people behind you feel they have to get to you. (Personal Space!) I won't get in yours if you don't get in mine and it's not going to make the line go any faster!:mad:

Sorry, just had to share that. Does anyone agree? Or is it just me?

Raven66

One of the reasons I won't go on M:S is claustrophobia. That and the "landing". Big crowds are a problem too because I am short. One time I was at a concert when I was about 19 (a very long time ago :lookaroun ) well anyway, I got separated from my group and all of a sudden I was in the middle of a group of people that must have been at least 10 feet tall(ok ok they just looked that tall). I started to panic because I couldn't breathe, or see. It was really scary. Next thing I know, this arm comes out of no where and drags me out and I was safe. :sohappy: Moral of the story is, I don't like people up in my space.:D

figment1985

I suffer from major panic attacks too, and when I was on Mission Space I thought I was going to die. That was way too much for my body to handle. RnRc was hard too because I accidently made the harness too tight and I felt like I couldn't breathe! The CM didnt see me signaling to him before it was too late! I felt so dizzy when I got off the ride. Now I make the harness loose and just hold on tight.

Nicole220

My issue isn't really on any rides. It's the que lines. Not the fact of how narrow they are, but how close some people behind you feel they have to get to you. (Personal Space!) I won't get in yours if you don't get in mine and it's not going to make the line go any faster!:mad:

Agree 100%!!

I don't get claustrophobia, but I freak out when people stand right behind me, breathing down my neck! I can't stand it!

A recent story: My sister and I were in line for Indy on Wed, and this family stood right behind us, to the point where they were touching us and breathing down our necks. They did this the whole time, despite our glares. :mad:

the-reason14

Agree 100%!!

I don't get claustrophobia, but I freak out when people stand right behind me, breathing down my neck! I can't stand it!

A recent story: My sister and I were in line for Indy on Wed, and this family stood right behind us, to the point where they were touching us and breathing down our necks. They did this the whole time, despite our glares. :mad:

Im sorry, but I probably would have butted them or told them, "Look unless yall wanna see me blow some chunks, then yall needs to back up."

Nicole220

Im sorry, but I probably would have butted them or told them, "Look unless yall wanna see me blow some chunks, then yall needs to back up."
:lol: I don't think I would have said that, but I did want to speak up...just couldn't get myself to do it...:eek:

We didn't directly tell them to back up, but we sure were hinting at it.

Kandi

My mum gets panic attacks when we are in large crowds so we avoid most shows as she doesnt like to be srrounded by people. I also get panic attacks if im eating in a resturant and its really busy and hot. I'm so glad that they have air con at Disney otherwise i wouldn't beable to eat anything whilst im there!

J_Krafty24

Totally agree with you there. I have a season pass to cedar point in ohio and will make a few solo trips there to take care of my roller coaster cravings. So often I get a group of high school girls right behind me who stand so close if so much as shift my weight from one foot to the other I bump into them. I made up for it by leaving a good 3 feet between me and the next group in line but it still bugged me. Had to fight very hard to keep myself from driving an elbow into their stomach (jk - well sort of).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom