Claustrophobia in the parks

maelstrom

A recent story: My sister and I were in line for Indy on Wed, and this family stood right behind us, to the point where they were touching us and breathing down our necks. They did this the whole time, despite our glares. :mad:

I would've said something. I cannot stand it when people are that close to me and invade my personal space. I hate it when I try to move away from the people, and they just move with me. It's like they think they're going to get on the ride faster if they're up my @$$ the whole time. I've gotten quite ballsy and fed up with things in recent times, and I'm just not having any of this on my trip next month. If someone is standing that close to me, I'm going to tell them that they are invading my personal space and that they need to step back. I will be polite, at first. If they resist or try to argue with me, I will get nasty.

dreamscometrue

I had my first panic attack while canoing in the middle of a large river when I was 20 years old. I had no idea what was happening, but I was very stressed. Several years later, it happened again while in the woods cross country skiing. It became so bad that I couldn't do malls, concerts, movie theatres, elevators, etc. Within 3 months, I realized that unless I got 'help', this was going to stop me from doing many, many things.

I went for a few counselling sessions to talk and it was about me not being in control and not being able to get out of a place. My counsellor kept telling me that I had to face the fears or I'd avoid more and more things. She said 'you will be uncomfortable, but you're not going to die and you're not going to pass out'. She gave me a few strategies to stop the panic cycle and a great book to read (From Panic To Power). After a change in perspective and starting to face these uncomfortable situations (and surviving), I was able the next year to get on a plane (without freaking out :)) and fly to WDW. That first trip saw me try some things and avoid many others, but it was a good start. It is now 5 years later and, although I can relate to everything you say (I had the EXACT same experience the first time on R 'n RC), I 've been on everything and am past the point of 'SURVIVING' the rides (planes, crowds, etc.) to the point where I am ENJOYING all of those things. Am I cured? No. This will always be an issue, and it flairs up on occasion, but it is a small part of my life and has practically no affect anymore. Five years ago, it ruled my life.

My advice is to deal with this right away. It is very manageable and there's lots of hope for a future free from this issue. Been there, done that. :)

drdoom1001

I remember 2 times I've felt claustrophobia,once in a rollercoaster at Six Flags in Atlanta,it was the Superman flying coaster where there's an over the shoulder restraint as well as a leg restraint.When my legs got locked in there I felt very uncomfortable since we were held at the station for a couple of minutes.But the one time I was very very close to a panic attack was on a flight from Dallas to San Francisco where we were held on the runway for just under 2 hours just sitting there and then thinking it was over 3 more hours of flight time.I seriously thought I was going to get up and start yelling to get me out of there.I had to breathe deeply and start thinking of something to get me from wigging out.Once the flight took off and I had my window seat to look outside it was actually a really nice flight and I felt great,but I wasn't good sitting on that runway for that long!!

joelleharbert

I have minor claustrophobia, as well, but the only place I've ever felt uncomfortable at WDW (except M:S, which I refuse to put myself through) was when TOT got stuck between floors and they had to "manually" remove us. Since I had my two sons with me, I was so busy trying to reassure them that I had to overlook my own discomfort. Otherwise, I haven't had problems with anything else. It makes me feel better when I see the red "EXIT" sign located throughout the queue areas, though. Just in case...:lookaroun

dreamscometrue

I have minor claustrophobia, as well, but the only place I've ever felt uncomfortable at WDW (except M:S, which I refuse to put myself through) was when TOT got stuck between floors and they had to "manually" remove us. Since I had my two sons with me, I was so busy trying to reassure them that I had to overlook my own discomfort. Otherwise, I haven't had problems with anything else. It makes me feel better when I see the red "EXIT" sign located throughout the queue areas, though. Just in case...:lookaroun[/quot

How do they get you off ToT if it does get stuck like that? (Just curious)

MansionHostess4

I get claustrophobia when it involves large groups of people, not small places. (If that makes sense at all) While it's not clinical claustrophobia by any means, I do get shortness of breath and can have minor panic attacks.

I agree that the crowds of people can be challanging. On a similar note, I wish that people would not just stop in the middle of a walkway (especially a large group/family, etc.). It disrupts the flow of people trying to work their way through the Park. If someone needs to check a map, use a cell phone, etc, they really ought to move off to the side by a building, etc. To me, it is just common courtesy.

Laura

Premium Member
I don't believe there is any medicine specifically for claustrophobia, as far as I know. But since claustrophobia can bring on panic attack -ish symptomes, why don't you ask your doctor for a prescription for xanax or valium to be used on an as-needed basis. I wish that I had the luxury of a doctor and health insurance myself so that I could do this as well.

I don't know anything about xanax, but I don't think I'd take a valium in the park. Every time I've taken it it has completely knocked me out.

speck76

I don't believe there is any medicine specifically for claustrophobia, as far as I know. But since claustrophobia can bring on panic attack -ish symptomes, why don't you ask your doctor for a prescription for xanax or valium to be used on an as-needed basis. I wish that I had the luxury of a doctor and health insurance myself so that I could do this as well.

I use Xanax....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom