Cirque's La Nouba Closing?

walt-sent-me

Original Poster
Been a while since I've posted. We just returned form WDW where I heard from a non-employee that Cirque is closing this year. Not sure where this person got their information, but it did seem as though it might be true based on these two things...the last time we saw the show (1.5 years ago), the theatre was about half full. We also saw a Cirque employee walking the Westside of DS handing out pamphlets about tickets this recent trip. Anyone know if attendance is down or there's any truth to the closing? Would hate to see CdS leave the property or for La Nouba not to exist, but maybe a new production would get people to return and fill seats.

Bolt

Been a while since I've posted. We just returned form WDW where I heard from a non-employee that Cirque is closing this year. Not sure where this person got their information, but it did seem as though it might be true based on these two things...the last time we saw the show (1.5 years ago), the theatre was about half full. We also saw a Cirque employee walking the Westside of DS handing out pamphlets about tickets this recent trip. Anyone know if attendance is down or there's any truth to the closing? Would hate to see CdS leave the property or for La Nouba not to exist, but maybe a new production would get people to return and fill seats.
They've been walking the promenade for the last few years and I doubt it since they did add new acts to the show in 2016.

UpAllNight

One of the biggest Orlando ticket sites in the U.K. are giving away free Cirque tickets with 14 and 21 day Disney passes, in addition to the other perks....make of that what you will...

Kman101

La Nouba's been there for a long time now. It's probably time they bring in a new show in the next few years. Updated and new acts are nice but a whole new show would probably solve their problem.

tigger1968

With all the cash grabs TDO had put in place over the recent past, I wonder if the rather high prices for tickets to La Nouba are a factor in it's apparent decline in popularity. With so many other ways to give your money to WDW now, perhaps people just choose to pass on this show, especially considering the number of shows Cirque currently has out (20 total including 8 in Las Vegas and 9 on tour). Granted this is pure speculation on my part, but I saw the show years ago (and totally loved it) but haven't been back because $80+ for a decent seat just seems too much to bear at this point. I do agree with the idea that a new show would probably be a good idea. While bringing in new acts may help, I'm sure many people just assume it's the same show they saw before, so why shell out for it again?

Otterhead

With so many other ways to give your money to WDW now, perhaps people just choose to pass on this show, especially considering the number of shows Cirque currently has out (20 total including 8 in Las Vegas and 9 on tour).
I think this is more the case. When it debuted, there were far fewer Cirque shows and getting to see one at WDW was pretty unique and special. With so many new Cirque productions, it's hard to keep track, and they've diluted their brand with all of the 'jukebox musical' shows. La Nouba doesn't have the premiere status that it used to have, frankly.

JoeCamel

On a recent episode of the DIS-Unplugged podcast they mentioned hearing from a reliable source that a temporary Cirque show would be brought in an perform under a tent somewhere on or near WDW while the current theater is re-worked for a new show.

I have seen three "tent" shows and the one at WDW, the La Noubia show was better. Hope they replace it with a new production and I have a hard time getting a ticket as it is so good!

Disone

technically la nouba is custom built too
with out the technically, La Nouba IS a resident show. It is JUST as custom built as any of the Vegas Resident Shows from Cirque. La Nouba could not be performed elsewhere and like wise, something else could not be perform there. It would be exactly the same as saying Varikia is going to replace Mystere. It could happen but not without closing the show and a MAJOR rebuild of the theater's infrastructure first.

I love La Nouba, but have not seen the 2016 version with the new acts. But I suppose the if new Acts, which I am sure where introduced and marketed with the intend of driving repeat business, did no produce box office results, I could see the shows days being numbers. That said, this is NOT the first time I have years "this is the last year".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry, didn't see this thread and started discussing this in the general rumor thread.

After some Internet digging, the hubbub is supposedly this:

• Disney insisted that Cirque put in a new show [this sort of jibes with reports that Disney insisted Planet Hollywood and Fulton's update themselves]
  • The contract that Cirque has with their current La Nouba talent ends in 2017 and hasn't been renewed
  • Disney's contract with Cirque ends in 2017 and they're in negotiations over the theater and show refurb
  • The new Cirque show will be brand new, not one of their current ones that would be moved to DS
  • While the theater is being refurbished for the new show, Cirque will put on a show in a temporary venue, mostly likely a big tent pitched who knows where [maybe they can put on personal, tiny shows in small tents in the MK?]
  • Online ticket sales for La Nouba ends the last day of August 2017, however, some people have claimed La Nouba will be going til the end of December 2017

http://www.cirquespotlight.com/forum/la-nouba-close-2017

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/cirques-la-nouba-closing.923396

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Are there any known sources putting this out there? I'm hesitant to buy this without more info.

Well, part of this is from the DIS boards, part from whispers heard and repeated here, part from cirquespotlight forum I linked to, and part from the site that shall not be named which is saying that the most recent La Nouba flyers are saying "See La Nouba one last time."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom