Cindy's Castle turning brown!

wedenterprises

This thread is proving why many of you shouldn't be in charge of artistic decisions. The colours of the Tokyo castle contrast each other which does two things effectively: 1) brings out the architectural details, and 2) make the castle look more real and lived-in. The specific colours only work well in the Tokyo light and sky, but they would have to be a bit different in Florida, although the idea will be the same I'm sure, to bring the details out.

Tokyo's castle is now, in my opinion, the best looking Disney castle.

tnemgif

This thread is proving why many of you shouldn't be in charge of artistic decisions. The colours of the Tokyo castle contrast each other which does two things effectively: 1) brings out the architectural details, and 2) make the castle look more real and lived-in.

I would agree with both of your statements (not including the first sentence which was very egotistical and supercilious).
1) Yes, the gold trim against the brown does bring out the architectual details but it seems to do it in a too highly contrasting way. The gold against the brown is not, in my opinion, attractive at all and diverges from the sleek, flowing style of the castle.
2) Sure, the castle does look more realistic in a sense...or does it? The WDW castle has a very gothic/renaissance style to it, rather than medieval. Medieval castles are frequently associated with brown stone while gothic/renaissance castles are typically associated with gray or very light brown stone. Plus, this is fantasyland, not historically-acurate land.

In my opinion the castle could use a small "sprucing-up," but a complete brown overhall would not be in my favor. The castle as it is now has become an icon for WDW and I think a brown castle would ruin the fantasy/flawless appeal.

askmike1

This thread is proving why many of you shouldn't be in charge of artistic decisions.
It doesn't take knowledge to know what one thinks is ugly... that's an opinion.

The colours of the Tokyo castle contrast each other which does two things effectively: 1) brings out the architectural details, and 2) make the castle look more real and lived-in.
See, I do not buy that argument in any way, shape or form. Let us look at some real castles that Cinderella Castle was actually based on. Château de Pierrefonds, Château d'Ussé & Fontainebleau. Looking at some other castles (1,2,3,4,5,6), I don't see many (or any) that has contrasting colors like TDL's castle. I don't see any with gold accents. I'm wondering how these colors make it more "realistic" because judging by the castles CC is based on, the original color scheme is much more realistic. And furthermore, how real should a castle in Fantasyland be?

And just another thing I don't like about TDL's castle is that the turret "shingles" are too shiny and plastic-like. Just my opinion though.

Figment1986

Here, a little treat to hold you off till corrus gets his photos up...
castle2.jpg

wdwishes2005

It would all depend on execution. I love the way the castle is now, the white and blue makes it look fantastic. I'll withold judgement on this till it comes out. However, if they have scaffolding up to paint it brown during christmastime, I will be upset.

disnyfan89

Heres something for your minds to feast on! I just saw Nightmare Before Christmas last night. They did the new Castle intro that was infront of Cars. When I saw it in Cars I notice the color of the Castle was not blue and gray, but then last night when I saw it again I realized that it was the new paint job that Tokyo got.

askmike1

Heres something for your minds to feast on! I just saw Nightmare Before Christmas last night. They did the new Castle intro that was infront of Cars. When I saw it in Cars I notice the color of the Castle was not blue and gray, but then last night when I saw it again I realized that it was the new paint job that Tokyo got.
The new WDP castle is not based on any one castle. It is (supposed to be) a mixture of all 3 castles with a bit of it unique. It is the SBC colors with a more CC design. It premiered with DMC. The castle before all past Pixar movies (including Cars and possibly future Pixar films) is completely different and has the shape of SB castle with the grey/blue color scheme.
disney_logo170x225.jpg

986 Here, a little treat to hold you off till corrus gets his photos up...
The shingles look beautiful. The brown looks butt ugly (and I guess the word 'butt' fits very nicely with the color). The grey/blue looks so pretty, why must they fix it if it isn't broke?

josh_e_washie

I love it....it really helps illuminate all of the architectural details and beautiful carvings and shapes that you would lose before on the castle because it was all basically tonalities of the same color.
The highlights in gold illustrate this perfectly, and the gradients of darker colors at the bottom and lighter at the top makes it seem THAT much taller. BRAVO i say!!!

Teenchy

Let us look at some real castles that Cinderella Castle was actually based on. Château de Pierrefonds, Château d'Ussé & Fontainebleau. Looking at some other castles (1,2,3,4,5,6), I don't see many (or any) that has contrasting colors like TDL's castle. I don't see any with gold accents. I'm wondering how these colors make it more "realistic" because judging by the castles CC is based on, the original color scheme is much more realistic. And furthermore, how real should a castle in Fantasyland be?

The castle most regard as one of the main inspirations for Walt Disney (For Disneyland /SBC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Castle_Neuschwanstein.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein

Plus some nice information about the other Disney castles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella_Castle

I think I know more about castles now than ever!

WEDMagic

Hey if you look at wdws new paint and then again at tokyos you will notice that tokyo has a wash of color near edges and such to add depth WDW doesnt have this yet. WDW's castle has gone thru 3 color scheme adjustments all in different shades of grey from 71 till now, let WDI do what they do then decide on the finished product. As long as its not a pink cake or pink castle were good. Look at Sleeping beautys castle in CA it was so faded and gross and now its a beatiful gem. Give it a chance

Ralph303

I have to agree. Its still has it's grey color. Disney will never let any type of building age. They take care of there park ya know. What is disney is all about. Looking fresh everyday.

Dragonrider1227

Cinderella castle in white looks like a princess' palace. In brown, not so much. It looks nice and may work for Tokyo as a way to distinguish itself from WDW, but it's technicly FANTASYland and not REALISTICMIDDLEAGESland XD

I think it looks like they took a nice castle, made it look like a fortress, moved it into the desert for 2 years, then put it there.....

I've seen worse paintjobs, yeah. The scheme kinda makes it look like it's aging though. I always thought the castle should seem like it's glowing.

sambahat

Brown is beautiful

I can't understand the criticism of this latest paint job. It looks wonderful (at least from the pictures). It strikes me that those who are critical of this are just looking for things to complain about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom