Christmas Rumors?

peter11435

Yeah that's just a long commercial to hype the season. Seeing what they do behind the scenes and what they are planning doesn't really give a good indication of the decor getting any better.
The quality of the decor at WDW is quite high with the exception of the park icon trees. The issue is not quality it's quantity. There are two many areas that are not decorated at all and not enough holiday themed attractions and entertainment.

21stamps

The quality of the decor at WDW is quite high with the exception of the park icon trees. The issue is not quality it's quantity. There are two many areas that are not decorated at all and not enough holiday themed attractions and entertainment.
I have ever been during the Christmas decorations, I have been for fall and thought the decorations then were wonderful.

I'm most looking forward to the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, and the Garnd Floridian. I'm also excited to see everything at MK, and Holiday Wishes, I think it will all be gorgeous.

raven

The quality of the decor at WDW is quite high with the exception of the park icon trees. The issue is not quality it's quantity.

Except a few years ago when they decorated parts of Epcot over night and added red bows to the Italy Pavilion but I guess they didn't test the material for weather proofing. Later that morning it rained and the bows actually bled down the sides of the building and they had to quickly fix it by the next day. :eek:

21stamps

Oh my, the Grand Floridian is stunning at Christmastime!!
We are doing the same as @DarthFiscus75

Our cruise returns 12/3, and we are going to check in to the Contemporary, have a late breakfast at Ohana, visit the GF lobby, then back to CR for parasailing and sea Raycers.
Later we have a 5:30 dinner at whispering canyon, will check out WL, and then room service snacks while we watch Wishes from our room.

Do not even ask me how I will still be able to fit in my clothes at that point..especially after 7 nights on the Fantasy.lol. I'm a tad bit frightened by it.

HauntedMansionFLA

We are doing the same as @DarthFiscus75

Our cruise returns 12/3, and we are going to check in to the Contemporary, have a late breakfast at Ohana, visit the GF lobby, then back to CR for parasailing and sea Raycers.
Later we have a 5:30 dinner at whispering canyon, will check out WL, and then room service snacks while we watch Wishes from our room.

Do not even ask me how I will still be able to fit in my clothes at that point..especially after 7 nights on the Fantasy.lol. I'm a tad bit frightened by it.
It sounds like you have a great trip planned out. We have never been on a cruise. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good night to do the party. The parks aren't in our face Christmas everywhere. They are all beautiful and you will enjoy the different themes. EPCOT is fun to see all of the different Santa Claus at each country.

21stamps

It sounds like you have a great trip planned out. We have never been on a cruise. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good night to do the party. The parks aren't in our face Christmas everywhere. They are all beautiful and you will enjoy the different themes. EPCOT is fun to see all of the different Santa Claus at each country.
This is our first time on DCL, and my son's first cruise ever! I already booked another one (Norwegian, not DCL) for June 2017, so hopefully he enjoys cruising!lol

I am trying desperately to see where we can fit in Epcot. I originally was planning on Black Friday (pre cruise), but don't want to deal with the crowd levels, so then decided on our 12/3 arrival...but I really just want that day for the things I mentioned in the last post, especially since we will be up so early that morning, and will be at rope drop 12/4 at MK. As of now I'm hoping to hop from HS for a bit, but a lot is depending on what time we get for Jedi Training Academy. So we'll see, it will get in there somewhere! Even if only for a quick visit.

I haven't bought my party tickets yet, but am planning on 12/6. I'm hoping that it will be less crowded than Sunday, and also think it's a good way to end the trip. We have a pirate cruise scheduled for that morning out of GF...kids only...so I'll be at Poly while he's doing that, hopefully with an adult breakfast beverage in my hand. ;) I know that I won't be able to go to the pool bar, so hopefully Tambu Lounge will have something equally as good.

Siren

Speaking of MVMCP, the in laws bought us tickets to that event, and in all the times I've been to the World, I have never been to that. Having said, that, are the wait times for the better rides shorter? are the hot chocolate and cookies fairly decent? Any info related to this event would be appreciated. Thanks.
Awww! Your in-laws are so nice. We attended our first Christmas party last year and we had a great time!

The weather was totally perfect -- it was a record breaking week with highs in the mid 80's and the nights were warm and clear. We were advised not to go to MK on party nights because the park closes early and you can get in at 4pm, so if you are going to a park that day visit another park until 3 or 4 and then head to MK.

But, we decided to go against this advise and went to MK that morning. The crowds were so light and we walked on the majority of rides. The longest line we saw that day was for the Christmas party bands!

At the Christmas party, it was really dark and empty in Frontierland and behind the castle and all the rides were walk on. There was a nice party DJ over in Tomorrowland but we liked energy at DHS better -- so we just took some photopass pictures and kept moving.

We saw lines for the characters, we don't line up for characters, so it wasn't a big deal for us. I think the longest line is for the Seven Dwarfs.

There were also lines for the photo pass photographers, especially in front of the Christmas tree and Cinderella's castle at night. There are several different photo pass photographers stationed around the castle too, so you can get different angles.

We were also given advice to attend the second Christmas parade because the first Christmas parade is always too crowded and we would have a better chance of getting a good view without all the crowds and waiting. Well, this was not true for us -- the second parade was way more crowded than the first one. We experienced the same thing with MSEP, too -- on a non party night and with F! We're not really parade people anyway, so it's pretty much one and done for us.

I thought the hot chocolate was great, the cookies were decent, too. I was expecting the cookies and hot chocolate to be at stations laid out along the pathways but they're only at designated counter service restaurants. We went almost the whole night without getting hot chocolate or anything because we forgot!

The closest hot chocolate station to us, was up this steep hill in Tomorrowland. I have never seen this counter service place before. LOL. They gave us snicker doodles but on the way down this man was carrying about 12 packs of these chocolate chip cookies wrapped in blue packaging. He even offered us some of his because he could barely carry them but we already had our cookies. He said, they won't tell you about the chocolate chip cookies so you have to ask.

We had so much fun, it's not a must do but I would totally go again just for the photo pass pictures! Anyway, have fun!

Siren

Yet doing nothing is cheaper still and as long as people keep paying for the diminished experience the cuts will continue.
Hi @ford91exploder! I totally agree. I understand that the Christmas decorations are at a bare minimum but I still thought the parks were beautifully decorated over the holidays, so it's still worth seeing.

unfortunately, that seems to be true...Close the attraction....when people finally start to forget about it, throw a meet and greet in the remains of the old attraction and declare it a job well done, and giving people what they want....
LOL. Um, no.

Ending the light display was Disney's decision.
I honestly believe that Disney feels like Cinderella's castle lights offsets and justifies the other decoration cuts, especially Osborne lights. I can't wait to see what happens this holiday season.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Awww! Your in-laws are so nice. We attended our first Christmas party last year and we had a great time!

The weather was totally perfect -- it was a record breaking week with highs in the mid 80's and the nights were warm and clear. We were advised not to go to MK on party nights because the park closes early and you can get in at 4pm, so if you are going to a park that day visit another park until 3 or 4 and then head to MK.

But, we decided to go against this advise and went to MK that morning. The crowds were so light and we walked on the majority of rides. The longest line we saw that day was for the Christmas party bands!
I can vouch for that. Was there in early December on a party day and we walked on Splash Mountain in the middle of the day.

Brad Bishop

Speaking of MVMCP, the in laws bought us tickets to that event, and in all the times I've been to the World, I have never been to that. Having said, that, are the wait times for the better rides shorter? are the hot chocolate and cookies fairly decent? Any info related to this event would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd say that you're really there for the parade, which is cool, the castle show (projection), and fireworks.

I've seen the Osbourne Lights a few times. It's kinda of cool but I've never been a fan or stapling every square inch of a structure with lights. It's neat that they have synch'd/dancing lights, but it's more that it's technically cool that "pretty" to me. That doesn't go just for Osbourne because Dollywood and Stone Mountain Park do the same thing. Some people love it. Me? I like more traditional decorations like how Main St. used to look with the lights, garland across the street, etc.

The "lights on every square inch of surface" is a bit garish to me. Still, if you like doing that at your home I'd rather see that than no lights at all.. Always a little disappointing when you drive around and hardly anything is decorated.

I really wish they'd just do away with the Halloween and Christmas parties at this point. They're neat, and if you have the opportunity, you should go, but it really ought to be just included with your ticket. Maybe skip the cookies and candy, but the special parade, show on the castle, and fireworks really ought to be just part of what you paid for earlier that day. (much like how New Year's Eve is)

Last edited:

wdwfan22

I really don't see why Disney can't create a Christmas fireworks show for the Magic Kingdom that is separate from Holiday Wishes. Or better yet, why they can't create two new Christmas fireworks shows? That way both day Guests and party Guests have something fresh for the holidays. Of course, we all know the answer.

If they offered a Christmas fireworks show for day guests, then it would kind of take away from the Christmas Party experience. The Christmas party is suppose to be exclusive with it's holiday offerings. Also not all guests who visit Disney during the holiday season want Christmas shoved down their throats non stop.

21stamps

If they offered a Christmas fireworks show for day guests, then it would kind of take away from the Christmas Party experience. The Christmas party is suppose to be exclusive with it's holiday offerings. Also not all guests who visit Disney during the holiday season want Christmas shoved down their throats non stop.
Exactly. That wouldn't make any sense. "Hey buy a ticket for a special Christmas party!" "If you don't want to purchase a ticket, just come the following day and we're doing the same thing!"

The latter part though, in fairness it's "Holidays" and Epcot represents several of them. It's kind of impossible to avoid Christmas during December though.

wdwfan22

Not if they created entertainment that could only been seen during the party. And also, don't wanna see Christmas stuff at Christmas? Stay your butt home. Not my problem you can't handle it being shoved down your throat. :rolleyes:

Sorry but it's not Holiday world it's Walt Disney World. Guests are paying to see Disney not Christmas. I think they do fine with they way it is. If you want Christmas pay and go to the party

21stamps

Sorry but it's not Holiday world it's Walt Disney World. Guests are paying to see Disney not Christmas. I think they do fine with they way it is. If you want Christmas pay and go to the party
Guests are paying premium prices because it's the holidays though..and because they heavily advertise the holidays. I know for me personally, it is the only reason we are going in December. No discounts, high rates, cold time of year, no swimming. Take all of the Christmas stuff out of the equation- no reason to do any of that. At that point it would be better to just go in January and pay around 40% less, with lower crowds.

wdwfan22

Guests are paying premium prices because it's the holidays though..and because they heavily advertise the holidays. I know for me personally, it is the only reason we are going in December. No discounts, high rates, cold time of year, no swimming. Take all of the Christmas stuff out of the equation- no reason to do any of that.

Guests pay more during all holiday seasons. Look at the Easter season for example. Disney does a good job at balancing the holiday entertainment. Magic Kingdom has the castle lights and decorations, Epcot offers Candlelight and holidays around the world. They do a good job balancing the entertainment. I don't think more is needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom