Christmas Rumors?

mishel635

Speaking of MVMCP, the in laws bought us tickets to that event, and in all the times I've been to the World, I have never been to that. Having said, that, are the wait times for the better rides shorter? are the hot chocolate and cookies fairly decent? Any info related to this event would be appreciated. Thanks.

We went last year for the first time and LOVED it. We are going back again this year. Lines are shorter the later it gets and also during the Christmas parade. At 11:00 we were walking right onto Peter Pan and had a five minute wait for Space Mountain. Before the party started and earlier in the night, wait times were reasonable.
The parade was wonderful! Probably my favorite part of the night. Also the show in front of the castle was great and there will be a new one this year. Holiday Wishes is great too. Have fun!

HauntedMansionFLA

We went last year for the first time and LOVED it. We are going back again this year. Lines are shorter the later it gets and also during the Christmas parade. At 11:00 we were walking right onto Peter Pan and had a five minute wait for Space Mountain. Before the party started and earlier in the night, wait times were reasonable.
The parade was wonderful! Probably my favorite part of the night. Also the show in front of the castle was great and there will be a new one this year. Holiday Wishes is great too. Have fun!
Just curious - what day of the week did you go and month? we will be there the first of December and I'm on the fence with the party. Thanks!!

rle4lunch

Just curious - what day of the week did you go and month? we will be there the first of December and I'm on the fence with the party. Thanks!!

we do a trip to WDW every 3 years or so and it's always the first full week of December. Crowds are low, but the Christmas party brings them in for that night. It's cool for my wife to get all the character meet and greets she doesn't have for her scrapbook, but other than that and the 5000 calories from all the cookies and cocoa you eat and drink, there's not much to it.

although.... we have a kid who will be 19 months when we visit, so definitely no on the xmas party for us. maybe when he's 4 years old or so.

wdwfan22

Speaking of MVMCP, the in laws bought us tickets to that event, and in all the times I've been to the World, I have never been to that. Having said, that, are the wait times for the better rides shorter? are the hot chocolate and cookies fairly decent? Any info related to this event would be appreciated. Thanks.

Waits are typically short for the rides especially as the evening goes on. I've been on sold out nights to and thought attraction waits were still reasonable. You can have as much hot chocolate and cookies as you like during the party and waits to get them are never really that long. The parade is a must see btw.

HauntedMansionFLA

I'm going on 12/6. Hoping that it will be less crowded than Sunday the 4th.
I would think Sunday would be a less busy day than a Tuesday since that would be a travel day for people? Who knows? :) Also, when is the cut off for FastPasses cut off? Or do they still go on during the Party?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I keep hearing everything that is closing or leaving and nothing new. My concern is Christmas time. It's a huge blow without the Osbourne Lights. What will the studios have for Christmas? Is there anything new at any of the parks?

MAGICal Price Increases and service cuts is what awaits the Christmas visitor to WDW this year...

Next Big Thing

Everyone is concerned about the loss of the Osborne lights, and rightfully so. I am surprised that there hasn't been mention that there is no longer a theater for the Comedy Warehouse to perform in this Christmas season. :mad:
The first year that they performed at DHS it they played in the Sounds Dangerous theatre, which is still available. Of course the capacity is crap there compared to what Premiere was, but it's at least still an option.

There's also that new flex theatre over by RNRC.

Prince-1

MAGICal Price Increases and service cuts is what awaits the Christmas visitor to WDW this year...

I think either of these will work for this post and all future posts:

51663322.jpg
or
debbie-downer.jpg

Please enjoy and use responsibly.

Attachments

• debbie-downer.jpg
    debbie-downer.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 37

CDavid

The Osborne Lights are history people! The contract is over and they will not be moving to another place on property nor will they be coming back. :banghead:

Which in no way means the lights will not be missed, that their removal without replacement isn't a loss and a mistake on Disney's part, nor that the lights shouldn't return (not that they will, of course). It really should not be a surprise to find people on a Disney message board lamenting the needless loss of a popular holiday tradition.

Since DHS is the Star Wars park I would have quite a chuckle if they Celebrated....Life Day....(Sure everyone is going to tell Chewbacca that at the M&G Area around that time).

Now there's a proper and fitting replacement for the Osborne Lights; A live presentation of the Star Wars Holiday Special. :)

Since people keep telling us that instead of the lights the Studios will be all about Rogue One this December anyway...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I totally agree that losing Osborne Lights is a huge loss for WDW. We attended Osborne Lights last year during the final week and it was so crowded. People hung around and didn't want to leave -- it was so sad. Even on the way to DHS, we were stuck in so much traffic -- our driver said it was unusual for that time of day and that everyone wanted to see the Osborne Lights before it goes away.

There were many CM's and employees who said that Disney is planning something similar to Osborne Lights, it has been very successful and profitable for Disney.

If attendance is down then I think it substantially increases the chance that Disney will do a brand new light show somewhere else. It's cheap and can be done in any one of the parks.

I never got to see Epcot's Winter Lights or whatever it was, but I heard this was very popular in the past. So maybe Disney can do a combination of Osborne Lights and Winter Lights at Epcot -- it would bring in huge crowds for the holidays.

Yet doing nothing is cheaper still and as long as people keep paying for the diminished experience the cuts will continue.

Bocabear

Yet doing nothing is cheaper still and as long as people keep paying for the diminished experience the cuts will continue.
unfortunately, that seems to be true...Close the attraction....when people finally start to forget about it, throw a meet and greet in the remains of the old attraction and declare it a job well done, and giving people what they want....

mouse_luv

Which in no way means the lights will not be missed, that their removal without replacement isn't a loss and a mistake on Disney's part, nor that the lights shouldn't return (not that they will, of course). It really should not be a surprise to find people on a Disney message board lamenting the needless loss of a popular holiday tradition.

Now there's a proper and fitting replacement for the Osborne Lights; A live presentation of the Star Wars Holiday Special. :)

Since people keep telling us that instead of the lights the Studios will be all about Rogue One this December anyway...
Oh please. I never said they aren't or can't be missed and that people can't be nostalgic about them. My point was to the people that keep saying they are coming back or being moved. And how was it a mistake to remove them when it was the contract terms with the family that they be removed and shipped back on a specific date?! Just be happy they agreed to let Disney have them at all. Move along now....:rolleyes:

CDavid

And how was it a mistake to remove them when it was the contract terms with the family that they be removed and shipped back on a specific date?!

Are you saying the Osborne family would not renew the contract, and thus they were the party responsible for the lights' demise? That goes against what I'd read previously here (though of course many erroneous rumors and news get posted or I could be mistaken), that the family would have been glad to see Disney keep the show (and they'd had offers from other parks around the nation).

I thought the general consensus was that the lights were going away since the Streets of America were being bulldozed. If that's not the case - or the whole story - I'm curious.

peter11435

Oh please. I never said they aren't or can't be missed and that people can't be nostalgic about them. My point was to the people that keep saying they are coming back or being moved. And how was it a mistake to remove them when it was the contract terms with the family that they be removed and shipped back on a specific date?! Just be happy they agreed to let Disney have them at all. Move along now....:rolleyes:
Ending the light display was Disney's decision.

mouse_luv

Just be happy they even came to Disney in the first place and ran for 20 years, and that those that loved it were given a chance to say a proper farewell, it was something us SpectroMagic! fans did not receive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom