Christmas Holiday phase closing watch 2018

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
ssshhhh if you tell security at some resorts that you are going to valet and then just...don't, you can self park for free. Only works depending on the self park setup though.

They've got plate scanners, your methodology is flawed if they are really enforcing time limits.

surfsupdon

Epcot NYE is a blast! Best party in central Florida by leaps and bounds. Flame throwning dance floor in China, EDC in Italy, family dance DJ at fountain hub, some years they have had a silent disco near Japan. Its all what you make of it. Both Magic Kingdom and Epcot will set up many temporary dance floors. Due to its overall larger size Epcot will be much better to able to handle the crowds than Magic Kingdom will be. Magic Kingdom will literally be wall-to-wall people. Epcot will have parts that get bottlenecked with wall-to-wall people but for the most part you will still be able to walk around. Also the midnight fireworks at Epcot are Bar None the best display Walt Disney World does. Way better than Magic Kingdom IMO it's not even close. The perimeter is nice at the Magic Kingdom but it does not match the Firepower that is used at Epcot on NYE. It starts with Illuminations and the after Illumination the individual countrys throw a display of fireworks in the order in which they ring in the New Year. The last three, Mexico, America and Canada combined for a countdown finale that will likely be the single largest display of Firepower you will ever stand this close to.

There's also something very special about partying around the world. That's said, I will warn you that around 7 p.m. Epcot will stop being Epcot for the remainder of the evening and will start just being a party. They kind of let the countries relax their themes..... There is no reason to have an Electric Daisy Carnival party in Italy. None whatsoever. It's just there because it's New Year's Eve and it's just there because it's fun. It's the one night of the year that Epcot does not take itself so seriously and it allows itself to have a little fun.

I've never waited two hours I get out of the Epcot parking lot afterwards. But then again I do wait until the park actually closes at 1 am before I even start heading out of the world showcase. So I'm not even getting to the parking lot until 1:30 or 1:45. By that time it's pretty easy sailing out of the parking lot. I 4 on the other hand might be a different story.

So if you're willing to deal with crowds, and it will be crowded, and you can have a route home that does not involve Interstate 4, I say both Epcot and Magic Kingdom are the way to go. But I strongly lean towards Epcot.
You’ve hit so many valid points squarely on the head. We love Epcot for NYE. Absolutely love it.

mimitchi33

oh the horror! I remember in 2010 I believe, I was working watercraft and I could hear "three" by Britney Spears coming out of the park from the DJ at the castle. A song about a threesome being played inside the Magic Kingdom. Lovely.
If you hated that, then you would've hated the Incredibles Dance Party. It was so loud that you could actually hear it from the PeopleMover and the Carousel of Progress!
And on the topic of wait times around the holidays, the app is still not working. Hope we can get an update before New Year's Eve...

mimitchi33

You know it's not a good day to visit when Figment has a 20 minute wait AND is one of the lowest waits in the entire resort:
wl925l.jpg

And most of the highest waits are at Animal Kingdom. Who would wait two and a half hours for Kilamanjaro?
33y6glv.jpg

Last edited:

Rider

Crowds keep coming in. For those leaving the express monorail line is down to and all around the entrance gates. The resort line has no line.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Epcot NYE is a blast! Best party in central Florida by leaps and bounds. Flame throwning dance floor in China, EDC in Italy, family dance DJ at fountain hub, some years they have had a silent disco near Japan. Its all what you make of it. Both Magic Kingdom and Epcot will set up many temporary dance floors. Due to its overall larger size Epcot will be much better to able to handle the crowds than Magic Kingdom will be. Magic Kingdom will literally be wall-to-wall people. Epcot will have parts that get bottlenecked with wall-to-wall people but for the most part you will still be able to walk around. Also the midnight fireworks at Epcot are Bar None the best display Walt Disney World does. Way better than Magic Kingdom IMO it's not even close. The perimeter is nice at the Magic Kingdom but it does not match the Firepower that is used at Epcot on NYE. It starts with Illuminations and the after Illumination the individual countrys throw a display of fireworks in the order in which they ring in the New Year. The last three, Mexico, America and Canada combined for a countdown finale that will likely be the single largest display of Firepower you will ever stand this close to.

There's also something very special about partying around the world. That's said, I will warn you that around 7 p.m. Epcot will stop being Epcot for the remainder of the evening and will start just being a party. They kind of let the countries relax their themes..... There is no reason to have an Electric Daisy Carnival party in Italy. None whatsoever. It's just there because it's New Year's Eve and it's just there because it's fun. It's the one night of the year that Epcot does not take itself so seriously and it allows itself to have a little fun.

I've never waited two hours I get out of the Epcot parking lot afterwards. But then again I do wait until the park actually closes at 1 am before I even start heading out of the world showcase. So I'm not even getting to the parking lot until 1:30 or 1:45. By that time it's pretty easy sailing out of the parking lot. I 4 on the other hand might be a different story.

So if you're willing to deal with crowds, and it will be crowded, and you can have a route home that does not involve Interstate 4, I say both Epcot and Magic Kingdom are the way to go. But I strongly lean towards Epcot.
Oh my gosh. I have never wanted to go to EPCOT on NYE as much as I want to right now. Do you have a bridge i could buy too? 😎SOLD!!!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes, I totally felt like posting a lie from my job where I just ended my 12 hour shift. Let's not forget the part where I was called the "N" word by a guest. How was your Christmas?

Thank you for working on Christmas Day, a 12 hour shift no less. As others have said, without CMs like you, WDW would be just another amusement park. Sorry you had to take that abuse, on Christmas Day. Hope that individual got a lump of coal in their stocking.

Would love to spend Christmas at Disney, but not sure I'd want to be in MK. Rather be in my room, opening presents with family and cooking a nice dinner.

Merry Christmas to you and Happy New Year!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
ssshhhh if you tell security at some resorts that you are going to valet and then just...don't, you can self park for free. Only works depending on the self park setup though.

Tried that once at GF - the guy with valet parking actually told me I could self park. One of the guards from the gatehouse chased me down in a golf cart and told me I'd either have to go do valet or leave. Told him what the valet guy said...didn't matter. I left and parked at TTC.

disney4life2008

Fantastic is filled to capacity at 815pm. 45 minutes before showtime. Lots of upset folks. Luckily I was able to secure a fp. They are only letting in dinner package and fp

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Tried that once at GF - the guy with valet parking actually told me I could self park. One of the guards from the gatehouse chased me down in a golf cart and told me I'd either have to go do valet or leave. Told him what the valet guy said...didn't matter. I left and parked at TTC.
yeah it's resort specific :)

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe I am missing something. I experienced it last year and it did nothing for me.
yeah gotta love the dance parties cuz getting on ANY attractions is a train wreck. It's all about expectations and what you're looking to experience. I park myself in Italy after sunset and dance the night away with breaks for the fireworks! No stuffy clubs for me!

disney4life2008

yeah gotta love the dance parties cuz getting on ANY attractions is a train wreck. It's all about expectations and what you're looking to experience. I park myself in Italy after sunset and dance the night away with breaks for the fireworks! No stuffy clubs for me!

Actually I did enjoy the aftermath. I parked myself on a bench outside of UK eating fish and chips watching drunk people pass out lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom