Christmas Holiday phase closing watch 2018

wdwhoneymooner

Have been at WDW since Friday and while the crowds are larger than normal, they’re not as bad as some we’ve experienced in the past during this time. We were at MK yesterday, 12/24 and stayed a bit after the afternoon parade was over. Left probably around 5ish for DS. We spent a few hours at HS today, 12/25 from 11:30 until 2:30 and it really wasn’t bad at all. Busy for sure but not crazy-nuts even at TSL.

iowamomof4

Yes, I totally felt like posting a lie from my job where I just ended my 12 hour shift. Let's not forget the part where I was called the "N" word by a guest. How was your Christmas?
I was actually believing you but struggling to take in your information combined with what others were saying so I was trying to sort it out. I didn't mean to accuse you of lying, I was exaggerating to try to get a better understanding of what was going on. No harm intended, my sincerest apologies for my poor choice of wording. Sorry you had a rough day.

Po'Rich

Yes, I totally felt like posting a lie from my job where I just ended my 12 hour shift. Let's not forget the part where I was called the "N" word by a guest. How was your Christmas?
Thank you for spending your Christmas helping to make others' vacation enjoyable and memorable. I'm sorry it resulted in you being insulted. As someone who has visited WDW during Christmas, I can't say how much I appreciate the efforts provided by the cast members.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
We have found a little gem of going to EPCOT on Christmas Eve. Went a couple years ago and it was really slow. Went this year and it was busy, but not even as bad as food and wine. We even got a table in the Mexico bar without a wait!

I'm going to EPCOT NYE (I know what I'm in for, I've done it a couple times) but curious if anyone has data on the EPCOT parking lot closing at all throughout the day. My husband is going to meet me later in the evening and I wanna make sure the lot won't be closed based on historical data. Also he wants to be in the park at 10pm, any advice on traffic heading into the parks at that time? I have only ever been in the park by mid-day so not sure what to expect. Thanks all!

And to the CM who worked Christmas, thank you! I used to work in MK Watercraft and it was ALWAYS an adventure on the holidays. I always enjoyed it because of the choas but it was also challenging at times. So busy - time flies!

dennis-in-ct

I am shocked and horrified to hear about how disgusting people can behave. Completely unacceptable and makes me angry. As a gay person I have had to respond to hate directed at me but I was never in a position of *not* being able to respond. So sorry. Although I suppose not feeding into the hate is the better thing to do but I can’t always take the higher road. Love conquers hate.

mrerk

Premium Member
That person was counting clicks coming into the park and not those leaving.

I've come to the MK at 10 AM and there were already people leaving. Lot's of people only spend a few hours and go. And at this time of year, when there's a 40 minute wait for a bathroom, I'm sure there's lots of people (without FPs and ADRs) thinking it's not worth staying and they leave.

Those people leaving at 10AM were most likely there since opening and banged out what they wanted to do. You can get a lot done in 3 hours.

iMax

I'm going to EPCOT NYE (I know what I'm in for, I've done it a couple times) but curious if anyone has data on the EPCOT parking lot closing at all throughout the day. My husband is going to meet me later in the evening and I wanna make sure the lot won't be closed based on historical data. Also he wants to be in the park at 10pm, any advice on traffic heading into the parks at that time? I have only ever been in the park by mid-day so not sure what to expect. Thanks all!

This is the cheating answer but people do it anyway, you could TRY to park at the Boardwalk and when you're done in Epcot walk over. If not you'll have to bite the bullet and park in Epcot, but be forewarned getting out of that lot after midnight will take an hour or maybe two.

disney4life2008

We have found a little gem of going to EPCOT on Christmas Eve. Went a couple years ago and it was really slow. Went this year and it was busy, but not even as bad as food and wine. We even got a table in the Mexico bar without a wait!

And to the CM who worked Christmas, thank you! I used to work in MK Watercraft and it was ALWAYS an adventure on the holidays. I always enjoyed it because of the choas but it was also challenging at times. So busy - time flies!

I went last year it was horrible. Idk about the lot but Epcot Nye is boring. It took 2 hours to get out the lot at 1am. Waste of time

iMax

I went last year it was horrible. Idk about the lot but Epcot Nye is boring. It took 2 hours to get out the lot at 1am. Waste of time

I highly digress, the numerous dance parties they have around the park kept me entertained from start to finish, plus the midnight fireworks make everything worth it.

mimitchi33

And at this time of year, when there's a 40 minute wait for a bathroom,
45 minute bathroom wait.jpg

Seriously, that's ridiculous! I read online that the wait was 20 minutes, not almost an hour!
Latest wait times on property
View attachment 336021
Can you upload this in better quality? I can't see anything!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This is the cheating answer but people do it anyway, you could TRY to park at the Boardwalk and when you're done in Epcot walk over. If not you'll have to bite the bullet and park in Epcot, but be forewarned getting out of that lot after midnight will take an hour or maybe two.

If you bite the bullet and valet park there its not cheating and you still get the shorter exit time.

Disone

Epcot NYE is a blast! Best party in central Florida by leaps and bounds. Flame throwning dance floor in China, EDC in Italy, family dance DJ at fountain hub, some years they have had a silent disco near Japan. Its all what you make of it. Both Magic Kingdom and Epcot will set up many temporary dance floors. Due to its overall larger size Epcot will be much better to able to handle the crowds than Magic Kingdom will be. Magic Kingdom will literally be wall-to-wall people. Epcot will have parts that get bottlenecked with wall-to-wall people but for the most part you will still be able to walk around. Also the midnight fireworks at Epcot are Bar None the best display Walt Disney World does. Way better than Magic Kingdom IMO it's not even close. The perimeter is nice at the Magic Kingdom but it does not match the Firepower that is used at Epcot on NYE. It starts with Illuminations and the after Illumination the individual countrys throw a display of fireworks in the order in which they ring in the New Year. The last three, Mexico, America and Canada combined for a countdown finale that will likely be the single largest display of Firepower you will ever stand this close to.

There's also something very special about partying around the world. That's said, I will warn you that around 7 p.m. Epcot will stop being Epcot for the remainder of the evening and will start just being a party. They kind of let the countries relax their themes..... There is no reason to have an Electric Daisy Carnival party in Italy. None whatsoever. It's just there because it's New Year's Eve and it's just there because it's fun. It's the one night of the year that Epcot does not take itself so seriously and it allows itself to have a little fun.

I've never waited two hours I get out of the Epcot parking lot afterwards. But then again I do wait until the park actually closes at 1 am before I even start heading out of the world showcase. So I'm not even getting to the parking lot until 1:30 or 1:45. By that time it's pretty easy sailing out of the parking lot. I 4 on the other hand might be a different story.

So if you're willing to deal with crowds, and it will be crowded, and you can have a route home that does not involve Interstate 4, I say both Epcot and Magic Kingdom are the way to go. But I strongly lean towards Epcot.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Nooo I actually dislike all the dance parties at the parks. I prefer magic kingdom Nye
oh the horror! I remember in 2010 I believe, I was working watercraft and I could hear "three" by Britney Spears coming out of the park from the DJ at the castle. A song about a threesome being played inside the Magic Kingdom. Lovely.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
If you bite the bullet and valet park there its not cheating and you still get the shorter exit time.
ssshhhh if you tell security at some resorts that you are going to valet and then just...don't, you can self park for free. Only works depending on the self park setup though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom