Christmas disappointment ....

thomas998

I just had two trees cut down and removed from my yard. One had to be 40+ years old.. it was a huge Oak Tree... initially I felt bad, but now.. I’m just enjoying a backyard without acorns :)

OP- just imagine the trees are reall. It’s Disney World.

To the folks who think Floridians don’t have real Christmas trees.. we can get beautiful trees easily, they’re just pre cut.
The problem with acorns is that too often people that plant trees in there yards don't think about what the tree will do in the future, whether dropping acorns on the yard, spreading roots all over the yard or just growing too darned big for where it is... I have to cut down an incredibly beautiful Japanese Maple tree that probably took decades to get to its current size, but the people that planted it to begin with didn't bother to consider how large they can get and now its starting to wreck havoc with our house.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not only their risk of catching fire, but when they burn it's much worse than wood burning. All those chemicals, petroleum product, carcinogens, etc...
Everything burns. The difference is a real tree will go up like it is soaked in gasoline with very little provocation. Properly made fake trees tend to take a lot more to get going.

Bpmorley

Everything burns. The difference is a real tree will go up like it is soaked in gasoline with very little provocation. Properly made fake trees tend to take a lot more to get going.
I'm gonna have to disagree with the "very little provocation" part. But yes they can eventually go too.

MickeyLuv'r

Yes but when you put live trees in the parks where those of us allergic are close to them , getting photos doing meet and greets it kills your allergies, I can usually make it through if Im not right next to the pine tree with allergy medicine but if Im close or in an enclosed place like a hotel lobby Im swollen up like a beach ball.

Live trees make a mess; it wouldn't be practical to put live trees in the WDW hotel lobbies. I didn't say anything about WDW putting them in hotel lobbies, because I don't see WDW doing that. I simply stated a fact: WDW property already has many evergreens. I imagine you already know that if you travel to WDW and react to evergreens.

That said, the folks with severe allergies that I know, don't generally get angry, they take precautions to avoid the ER. They travel with an EpiPen, call ahead, and usually avoid places that are high risk.

Truly though, this whole thread is wildly hypothetical.

MickeyLuv'r

'Real' trees will eventually dry out and become a fire hazard if they are on display for 2 months. The one in NYC isn't up nearly has long as the decorations in MK.

WDW is required to keep their trees up for 2 months?

This year's White House Christmas tree comes from Wisconsin. It is 19 feet tall. It will go up on November 21. I'm not sure when they take it down, but I'm sure it stays through Jan 2; so that's 6 weeks.

Further, WH official trees have come from as far away as Wisconsin, Washington state, and Oregon.

The WH actually has many indoor trees every year, like 25-30.

Tree farms, more or less, compete for the honor of being the official WH tree, and the trees are donated.

I think if MK had an official MK tree, many tree farms would likely be happy to deliver one at cost in exchange for the honor of getting to say the official MK tree came from their farm.

Last edited:

Mizzourah

Does anyone else not care for the changes in themed music around the generously defined holidays? I don't go to Epcot in early November to hear Christmas music in Future World and omitted music in several pavilions. We'll hear plenty of the same music at department stores and restaurants for the next couple of months (after Thanksgiving).It might be nit-picky, but it feels like it takes away from the theming of the parks, which is what makes them special. It reminds me of terrible music choices during special events like the Halloween party blasting "Thriller" in the Pirates queue.

JohnD

Does anyone else not care for the changes in themed music around the generously defined holidays? I don't go to Epcot in early November to hear Christmas music in Future World and omitted music in several pavilions. We'll hear plenty of the same music at department stores and restaurants for the next couple of months (after Thanksgiving).It might be nit-picky, but it feels like it takes away from the theming of the parks, which is what makes them special. It reminds me of terrible music choices during special events like the Halloween party blasting "Thriller" in the Pirates queue.

To each their own. I'm going the week of December 9 precisely because I haven't been to WDW during the holidays in several years. So hearing holiday music would be part of the deal.

ToTBellHop

I mean, they do very clearly announce the start of the Holiday season, no?

I find the music at the Parties to be fun. They are parties after all.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

So whats your solution? Random pop muzak like Universal? Just be grateful its not Joyful! from Epcot year round.

bigrigross

Nah, $5000 should do it. All labor and cleanup included.
Maybe in 2000. The last year I did tree work in 2010, we moved a 35 foot spruce tree to someones new home. It was probably 4 miles away from where they lived and it had sentimental value. The cost was around 11K or so. Moving a large tree is not easy or cheap. A large tree spade is not cheap to operate and has its maintenance challenges as their are a lot of moving parts to that thing. Now I have never seen a 50K dollar bill. But we also havent moved trees taller than 35 feet tall.

JohnD

I will say I was irrationally annoyed to hear Christmas music at Epcot last week (even though I've been blasting it in my house since before Halloween) only because Food and Wine was still occurring. It felt out of place despite the decore being up. Can't one festival end before the other creeps in? Lol.

Okay. You do have a point there. I would say the clear time to start the holiday music at Epcot would be the start of the Int'l Festival of the Holidays.

MickeyLuv'r

I mean, they do very clearly announce the start of the Holiday season, no?

I find the music at the Parties to be fun. They are parties after all.

I suppose, but I found it a little odd to see Halloween decorations in August.
I've always appreciated the ancient idea that there is a season to every purpose. Modern science tends to back up the same idea. We're able to do things like force tulip bulbs to grow out of season, for example, but that comes at a price. Grow a tulip bulb in season; it regrows year after year. Force it to grow out of season though, and the bulb doesn't tend to do as well. Many even die.

So let me ask the question this way, what if WDW held Christmas parties all year? Would that be preferable?

Or does the seasonality make them something special?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom