Christmas disappointment ....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
wait .. are YOU SAYING THAT THERE IS A CHRISTMAS TREE FARM IN ORLANDO? oh the shock of it all ..
And all they tend to have are pine and cedar and cypress. North Florida is about as far south as you can get a fur to grow and they don't do all that well.

Oddysey

we all know that Disney can " do anything." and so three years ago when I was there for Christmas, I was shocked and disappointed not to find and " LIVE or REAL Christmas trees.. ' it was all fake and plastic and not very Disney.. if they can have a real tree in Rockerfeller square in New York, they can have live trees in Disney world. for one ..because they can KEEP THEM IN DIRT and keep them alive the whole time in the park.. Yes.. Disney is capable of doing this.. it was too fake and Christmas was more of a theory and snowflakes and hot chocolate and winter thyme as opposed to the true meaning of Christmas.. Yes the Candlelight processional was on point.. but that was it for all the parks.. and if you didn't see that .. it was plastic and fluff.. JOMHO.. I assume that the ripping will start within seconds.. Merry Christmas..

Most all of Disney is fake and plastic. Seems like the wrong place to visit if you are expecting to see much of anything natural.

Oddysey

The snow is also fake. So is the ice on the castle. The grass in the hub isn't real either. Those also aren't real animals on the Jungle Cruise.

FairShyGuineafowl-size_restricted.gif

King Louie was real. He eventually escaped the Jungle Cruise and is sadly no longer part of the attraction ;)

MsAnniee

Wow.... some brutal comments. I understand why live trees aren’t used, but the first Christmas I was at Disney, I too was disappointed that there wasn’t a live tree to be found.

My favorite tree wound up being the lobby tree at Art of Animation. It was a fake metal tree with the rotating light below. Just like my parent put up one year.....😂😂

EricPZ

'Real' trees will eventually dry out and become a fire hazard if they are on display for 2 months. The one in NYC isn't up nearly has long as the decorations in MK.

geekza

I guess now that Christmas starts at the parks immediately following Halloween and stays up until after New Year's Day, it would be difficult to keep a live tree looking perfect for that long. I prefer live trees, as well, but considering how quickly they have to put up and take down the decorations, it makes sense to me why they use plastic trees.

Thecorsi4

I am Heading down to the House of Mouse for the first time during the holiday season. I can honestly say I am not even thinking about trees real or otherwise. Just point me toward the holiday deserts and call it good

thomas998

again.. I am not preaching "killing trees" just replanting them.. and this is done all the time at disney and at golf courses or major businesses, or people who decide.. I want a NEW TREE.. I am not saying that every tree needs to be live.. but one in Town Square. . one in front of the Great movie ride.. one between Future world and the world show case .. and animal kingdom can always use and extra tree.. and again I have always been told that Disney names or numbers each tree on base and has a replace ment for it some where off base.. and it can be replaced over night. . Four live trees isn't going to bankrupt anyone including Disney.. and they look and smell good.. its something that's possible. for a place that's known for creating the impossible.. this would be one of the easiest Disney Miracles they could produce. within minutes and for probably less then $5000 for FOUR LIVE planted trees.. heck that's not the coffee and doughnut money for the morning crew at MK. its doable.
I think you are underestimating the cost of live trees. I doubt you could get a single live tree moved into Mainstreet for $5,000. A 50 foot tree is probably going to set you back almost 50,000 not including the cost of labor in removing the existing tree and planting the new one. Large trees aren't cheap and even worse is the ability to plant one so that it survives, the roots below the ground will generally extend 2 or 3 times the diameter of the drip line so you would be needing to tear up a substantial amoung of the mainstreet area just to deal with the roots. I really don't think it is feasible to plant a big tree there.

WDWFannatic

When I go to WDW during Christmas, I do feel the magic.. fake trees and all. All the Christmas trees in the parks and the resorts are decorated so beautifully and themed so well. I just couldn't imagine Disney having to worry about a tree looking bad or dying.. they would need "spares" ready to go in and replace. That would be so much man power and time consuming. If you need a real tree, have one at home. Go to WDW during the holidays and relax, take it all in and realize your "real" tree is waiting for you at home.

LaughingGravy

I think you are underestimating the cost of live trees. I doubt you could get a single live tree moved into Mainstreet for $5,000. A 50 foot tree is probably going to set you back almost 50,000 not including the cost of labor in removing the existing tree and planting the new one. Large trees aren't cheap and even worse is the ability to plant one so that it survives, the roots below the ground will generally extend 2 or 3 times the diameter of the drip line so you would be needing to tear up a substantial amoung of the mainstreet area just to deal with the roots. I really don't think it is feasible to plant a big tree there.
Nah, $5000 should do it. All labor and cleanup included.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
In 2005 the Disneyland Christmas tree caught on fire so they stopped using a real tree. So with all the debate about if a Christmas tree could live in Florida or not the fake tree poses less of a fire hazard. If there is less of a fire hazard that mean less possibility of guests getting hurt.

21stamps

Honestly if you are just doing the main huge trees then it is kind of sad when you consider you would be lopping down very old trees probably at least 50 years old to be tall enough... I don't cringe much at your basic 8 foot trees cut down for houses since they are raised on a farm and aren't that old to begin with... but when you start going after those huge Rockefeller size trees, then it starts to kind of make me cringe since those trees weren't farmed and are usually pretty darned old.

I just had two trees cut down and removed from my yard. One had to be 40+ years old.. it was a huge Oak Tree... initially I felt bad, but now.. I’m just enjoying a backyard without acorns :)

OP- just imagine the trees are reall. It’s Disney World.

To the folks who think Floridians don’t have real Christmas trees.. we can get beautiful trees easily, they’re just pre cut.

Bpmorley

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom