Christmas disappointment ....

eliza61nyc

They're not "christmas tree" pine trees, though... besides, most of them are so tall you can't see the needles unless you're looking at the sky.
ding ding ding

I thought most Christmas trees were either Balsam fir trees or like the one in Rockerfeller center Norweign spruces. I've honestly never had a Pine christmas tree in my life but I'm a Northeasterner so we may just be using what is local.
Balsams are native to eastern and central Canada (cold, lol) and Northeastern US ( cold). lol I thought florida was the land of grapefruits and oranges.

I will say, he got me on the "looking around". Fort Wilderness was the place we stayed the first two visits when my kids where small. I thought that disney brought those trees in and planted them. I thought Orlando was famous for being swamp land.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
ding ding ding

I thought most Christmas trees were either Balsam fir trees or like the one in Rockerfeller center Norweign spruces. I've honestly never had a Pine christmas tree in my life but I'm a Northeasterner so we may just be using what is local.
Balsams are native to eastern and central Canada (cold, lol) and Northeastern US ( cold). lol I thought florida was the land of grapefruits and oranges.

I will say, he got me on the "looking around". Fort Wilderness was the place we stayed the first two visits when my kids where small. I thought that disney brought those trees in and planted them. I thought Orlando was famous for being swamp land.
lol. She is from NYC. lol. Can you believe it. lol

Club Cooloholic

In the past Disney used real trees, I believe they came from the northwest. They would also add extra branches to fill in the areas that were sparse. The trees would go up around Thanksgiving time and stayed up through the Christmas-New Year's holidays (back then, Christmas season didn't start until the day after Thanksgiving. They kept them watered and they held up well.
Yeah, I guess real vs not is not a deal breaker for me. Though one real tree would be nice and one in each lobby

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Or charging more and more for the same parking lots, parking at resorts, extra hours in the parks which used to be perks of staying on site, etc...

But hey, po-tay-to, po-tah-to, right?

Ceteris Paribus, I would agree but all other inputs have not remained constant in their cost model.

eliza61nyc

Or charging more and more for the same parking lots, parking at resorts, extra hours in the parks which used to be perks of staying on site, etc...

But hey, po-tay-to, po-tah-to, right?

lol unfortunately yep. I mean Disney has simply caught up to the rest of the world. lol, but that's being hashed over in the downhill thread. It's not 1980's anymore.

ToTBellHop

LOL. It's not practical to plant them and move them elsewhere every year (Especially the DHS and resort trees). So they would be dead. And get struck by lightning. And develop dead spots. Magic. You also cannot maintain the Disney look during the transition since you'd have to bring the tree in and THEN decorate it, so there would be multiple days when guests see a partially-decorated tree. Going fake, they deliver the finished product overnight which leads to MAGIC at the MK on the morning of 11/2 or 11/3 each year.

Going fake allows for a consistent look for the entire ~75 days the trees are on display.

Driver

Not true they can grown anything in the "Land".

Shame on Disney for not erecting a giant greenhouse to house the real Christmas trees. The fish can eat the pine trees, and their poop will fertilize the candy stalks in Candyland which feed the humans.
You missed your calling.... you should be an imagineer 😂

MickeyLuv'r

Besides all the points already made does the OP realize how many people are severely allergic to real Christmas trees. I'm sure Disney does not want to deal with thousands of angry customers who ended up spending their vacation in the ER due to real trees everywhere making them sick.

Huh? WDW property has many live evergreen trees, especially over by Wilderness Lodge/Ft. Wilderness, but really all over WDW property.

MickeyLuv'r

ding ding ding

Looks like best FL live tree options are: Sand Pine (native), red Cedar, Virginia Pine, Leyland Cypress, and Arizona Cypress.

All can be groomed to a traditional shape.

All 50 states have Christmas tree farms. No matter where you live in the USA though, most live Christmas trees are shipped across states. The top growing states are: OR, NC, MI, PA, WA, NY, and VA. The top state is Oregon.

Huh, they grow Norfolk Pines in Hawaii. Go figure! Even there you can get a live tree!

MickeyLuv'r

LOL. It's not practical to plant them and move them elsewhere every year (Especially the DHS and resort trees). So they would be dead. And get struck by lightning. And develop dead spots. Magic. You also cannot maintain the Disney look during the transition since you'd have to bring the tree in and THEN decorate it, so there would be multiple days when guests see a partially-decorated tree. Going fake, they deliver the finished product overnight which leads to MAGIC at the MK on the morning of 11/2 or 11/3 each year.

Going fake allows for a consistent look for the entire ~75 days the trees are on display.
Earlier this year, I watched a new office being built in the Kissimmee area. (actually I mostly just watched the gardening part) In just a few hours, in the heat of summer no les, I watched gardeners plant like 20 rather tall Palm trees, and many smaller shrubs/trees, and other plants. It was pretty amazing.

WDW plants a tremendous number of large plants all the time. The trees around the newest hotels didn't grow naturally where they are now living. They put up a new building, they add landscaping. If a tree dies, they replace it.

Have you ever been at WDW on the day before the Epcot Flower Festival starts? Many plants get planted in advance, but a small army of gardeners plants a LARGE number of plants overnight! ONE night. I could not believe how many beautiful plants were ripped out! (and most likely thrown out.)

Now I agree it would not be practical to use live plants everywhere that WDW puts up greenery, but I also know they don't put up all the property-wide greenery/décor in one night.

Once we happened to be at GF late one night when staff were carting in the large garlands they hang over the GF building lobbies. It was an interesting thing to get to see.

ninjaprincesst

Huh? WDW property has many live evergreen trees, especially over by Wilderness Lodge/Ft. Wilderness, but really all over WDW property.
Yes but when you put live trees in the parks where those of us allergic are close to them , getting photos doing meet and greets it kills your allergies, I can usually make it through if Im not right next to the pine tree with allergy medicine but if Im close or in an enclosed place like a hotel lobby Im swollen up like a beach ball.

thomas998

hundreds??
Why hundreds?

I think the idea was 5, no?(one at each park and a centralized one at Springs)
Honestly if you are just doing the main huge trees then it is kind of sad when you consider you would be lopping down very old trees probably at least 50 years old to be tall enough... I don't cringe much at your basic 8 foot trees cut down for houses since they are raised on a farm and aren't that old to begin with... but when you start going after those huge Rockefeller size trees, then it starts to kind of make me cringe since those trees weren't farmed and are usually pretty darned old.

bjlc57

Original Poster
again.. I am not preaching "killing trees" just replanting them.. and this is done all the time at disney and at golf courses or major businesses, or people who decide.. I want a NEW TREE.. I am not saying that every tree needs to be live.. but one in Town Square. . one in front of the Great movie ride.. one between Future world and the world show case .. and animal kingdom can always use and extra tree.. and again I have always been told that Disney names or numbers each tree on base and has a replace ment for it some where off base.. and it can be replaced over night. . Four live trees isn't going to bankrupt anyone including Disney.. and they look and smell good.. its something that's possible. for a place that's known for creating the impossible.. this would be one of the easiest Disney Miracles they could produce. within minutes and for probably less then $5000 for FOUR LIVE planted trees.. heck that's not the coffee and doughnut money for the morning crew at MK. its doable.

thomas998

ding ding ding

The type of evergreen you use for a Christmas tree really just depends on where you live... different areas of the country tend to use different types of evergreens which could be pine, fir or spruce. Where we live the only Balsam trees you are going to find will be the artificial Balasams

bjlc57

Original Poster
wait .. are YOU SAYING THAT THERE IS A CHRISTMAS TREE FARM IN ORLANDO? oh the shock of it all ..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom