Christmas at WDW

JoeyJoe

I know there have been many threads about Christmas at WDW, but they all have been about individual specific things. I have been visiting Disney World since I been 4, and this year is the first year ever I have the opportunity to visit during Christmas time, and I want to do it right!!! I am not going to see the usual attractions and raid every corner of every park, like I do every few months on my trips there. I am going mainly to experience the parks during the hoildays and of course see my favorite attractions. My question is, what exactly is there to do during the hoildays there that will be different than my trip last week? Anything specific I should see? or go to? I will be staying at the Grand Floridian, but are there any other hotels I should visit? Will 4days/3nights be enough time to see everything for the holidays? I will be goin the first weekend of January.

I figured this is the perfect place to ask "what and where." My family wanted to go down during the hoildays all these years and I don't want them to be miss anything!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
One stop summary

I think you can get a lot of specific insight from doing searches on specific topics here, but I think your best starting point, and most comprehensive summary is at: http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/holiday.htm There are special displays at many of the hotels, particularly AK, GF, WL.

With that said, I'm afraid you have a bit of a problem. :( The Christmas festivities stop fairly abruptly just after New Years. By the next weekend, nothing will be available as far as shows are concerned and most lights/decorations will have magically disappeared or are turned off. To enjoy all Disney has to offer for Christmas, the best time to go is the first two weeks in December (everything available plus light crowds). Can you adjust your time if this is your primary interest?

Upvote 0

csm7030

Due to my wife's employment, we had the opportunity to live in the Orlando are for a while a year or so ago. It was our first Christmas without going to visit her family or mine - both up north. We took advantage of all Disney had to offer. The decorations and everything is awesome. I can't wait to do it again. The Grand Floridian would be amazing - it is my favorite. Also, the Osbourne lights will back at the Studios this year. The Candelight Processional is also something not to miss. Unfortunately, I think you are going a little too late.

Upvote 0

Ergens2

watch out! In my experiences with the holidays around the "world" decorations start coming down as soon at Jan 2 and it happens overnight! Last year we arrived Jan 2 and by the 3 everything was gone! Don't count on seeing too much if you arrive past Dec 30.

Shelley :wave:

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

I'm sad to hear that things have changed since I last was in the parks in January. In 1990 I had Florida resident's passes and the decorations and lights stayed up into the third week of the month. No special shows or programs, but all the lights and millions of poinsettias were everywhere.

Now that I'm a Northerner again, we were debating between December or January this year. Guess I'm glad we decided on December !

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

Not so Merry in January

Our family went to Disney World in January of 2000. We were in Tampa for New Years and made it to Disney World on January 2, 2001 and the decorations were nowhere to be found. :( :( It was like we were visiting in late spring. I was disappointed but had a great time nonetheless.

If I had a choice, I would go to Disney World in the middle of December for about 5 days. Visit each deluxe resort to see the Christmas decorations, especially the ginger bread houses. I would get on the travel channel to see if I could locate their special on Christmas @ WDW and watch it a few times before my trip to make sure I can visit each attraction.

I hope that you are able to change your plans to accommodate the Christmas spirit in WDW. Have a great time. I have about 46 days until my trip.. :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

mwitkus

You must have been reading my mind when you posted this thread! My husband and I head to Disney every year - we know the parks well! This year will be our first time going in December for the Xmas celebration and I can't wait! (It was a suprise trip from my hubby for my bday - isn't he sweet???)

Anyway - we are also going to be staying at the GF (our first time there) which I've heard is the best decorated resort. We will also head over to WL to check out their decor, have dinner at Artist Point (heard they have the best vegetarian food w/in WDW) and then go for a carriage ride from WL. (Isn't that romantic? Thoughtful hubby strikes again!)

Anyway - we are planning to do the following:

1. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - can't miss that at MK.
2. Xmas around the worlds - Epcot - i'm curious to see how it is celebrated in the different countries. - also - i don't know all the details but there is some sort of special reading done by celebrities in epcot - maybe at the american adventure pavilion that is supposed to be great.
3. Osbourne Festival of Lights - they are supposed to be amazing!!!
4. Just kind of hop around the different resorts to see how they are decorated. We are big fans of xmas decor!

If you could change your trip to December, I think you'd have better luck with the xmas side of things. If not, at least you are going to be in Disney - xmas or no, it's still a magical place to be.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Envy, Envy, Envy

2. Xmas around the worlds - Epcot - i'm curious to see how it is celebrated in the different countries. - also - i don't know all the details but there is some sort of special reading done by celebrities in epcot - maybe at the american adventure pavilion that is supposed to be great. mwitkus

OK, I envy you your timing....someday....OK I'm over that for now (stops kicking feet and gets up off of the floor)

Please check the allearsnet link I put at the beginning of this thread for some more details on events and timing. Maybe there is even another item or two that you may be interested in, holiday tour, sleigh ride...

The readings you are referring to are the Candelight Processional, see; http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/h_cpfaq.htm.

Please promise to share a trip report. :xmas:

As for vegetarian fare, not that I've ever paid attention myself, there is a discussion at: http://www.allearsnet.com/din/vegtsparks.htm

(I guess you know that I find allearsnet.com a great resource :sohappy: )

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

I'll be there too during Christmas New Years weeks. We used to go over Easter, then tried a Christmas Break trip, and have fallen in love with everything!

One of the nicest things to do is to walk around the Deluxe Epcot Resorts and take a moment to explore each lobby; BoardWalk, Yacht, Beach, BoardWalk, Dolphin, and Swan. The decorations are exquisite (although they also are at Grand Flor, where you are staying) and each is different. And the Christmas music they have playing aorund the lake builds even more ambiance with the twinkling lights and all around festive-ness of the season.

Def do Osborne Lights at MGM and CandleLight at Epcot! And jsut absorb all the snow flurries on Main Street and the special decorations set up property wide. You're sure to ahve a great time. :xmas: I cannot wait!

Upvote 0

JoeyJoe

Original Poster
THANK YOU everyone for your great tips

and PS,,,,I rescheduled to the first week of Dec, instead of Jan,, all on YOUR recommendations!!

THANK YOU!!!

Upvote 0

Ergens2

Will you be there the first full week?? We will be down for the wdwmagic meet Dec 4&5. If you are going to be down for that time you should join us!!! It is going to be a lot of fun!!. Check in with wannabebelle as to what is going on or check out the December Meet thread that is over in General Disc..

Have fun either way!!

Shelley :wave:

Upvote 0

MCMike37

I have spent a number of years during Christmas at WDW with my family. They definitely have a lot of cool parades and shows, especially in EPCOT as already mentioned. When I have been there over the holidays they always have every country's take on Santa and even have one come out in tradiitional garb as well during the day.

Also something else mentioned...
surfsupdon said:
One of the nicest things to do is to walk around the Deluxe Epcot Resorts and take a moment to explore each lobby; BoardWalk, Yacht, Beach, BoardWalk, Dolphin, and Swan. The decorations are exquisite (although they also are at Grand Flor, where you are staying) and each is different.
...definitely. And if you have more then enough time, most every resort has a tree that is decorated to the style of the resort. One thing my family always loved was the free hot apple cider at Fort Wilderness (Especially right beofre or after a nice chilly boat ride on the lakes) Also, most hotels have quite amazing gingerbread houses (If it's your first time, don't miss the one at the Grand Froridian, actually, I don't think it would be possible to;))

In general, The holidays can be very hectic. (Unless you want to wait inline for Space Mountain for two and a half hours (Saw that on Christmas Eve one year and passed it up)) But the atmosphere is jsut different I think. Most everyone there seems to have a different attitude around those times (Talking about guests, not cast members)

I personally love it and love it even more when it actually gets cold in those parts some years.

Upvote 0

Debbie

mwitkus said:
Anyway - we are also going to be staying at the GF (our first time there) which I've heard is the best decorated resort. We will also head over to WL to check out their decor, have dinner at Artist Point (heard they have the best vegetarian food w/in WDW) .

The Grand Floridian was absolutely gorgeous this past December. Make sure to see the Gingerbread house........ :slurp:
Also, my vegetarian sister and her husband, went to eat at the buffet at Grand Floridian and she raved about it. I will see if see can post what was on there, being that it was a little pricey. She did say that it was worth it.
*goes to e-mail Bet-C*

Upvote 0

N. Michigan Mom

We'll be there Dec17-31. We're getting in on the last MVMCP, DH doing segway tour, and we'll all be at LaNouba X-mas Day evening! I'm contemplating O'hana for X-mas dinner? Any other thoughts/recommendations? My girls are 8 and 12. I'd like to get PSB PS, but I know how hard that is. :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

Upvote 0

N. Michigan Mom

Yah, I'm going to try and get CP dinner package for X-mas Eve. Probably me and a thousand of my closest friends will all be trying. I think we'll do lower tier Biergarten, GG, or Akershus. Can't decide which one.

I'm thinking Wispering Canyaon Cafe would be fun and maybe Sci-Fi for a lunch. Have never done either. Love 50's prime time; just trying to narrow it all down. DH doesn't want a bunch of PS.

Upvote 0

Philth

We're going to be there from 15th to 31st too! First trip to WDW for my wife and our 12yr old son. Havent decided yet on where we're going to eat on christmas day.

Can none guests visit the resorts? We're staying in a villa but would love to see the decorations!

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Update

Check out some other threads and the Disney site for a new set of holiday happenings being introduced at AK this year. They are finally catching up with the others, and this year should be particularly fun to experience.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

JoeyJoe said:
THANK YOU everyone for your great tips

and PS,,,,I rescheduled to the first week of Dec, instead of Jan,, all on YOUR recommendations!!

THANK YOU!!!
You will not regret it that I can absolutely promise you!!!!!!! As previously mentioned some folks from the Boards here are getting together for dinner at the 50's Prime Time Cafe in MGM studios and then after dinner a walk through the Osbourne Lights!!! Please let me know if you would be interested in Joining us! As far as stuff to do there is a LOT going on at that time of year:
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party ( Seperate admission required) I love this and havent missed it since my frist Christmas in Disney in 1999.
Candlelight Processional Awesome show very moving and powerful
The lighting of the Christmas tree in EPCOT
Christmas around the World in World Showcase in EPCOT
Osbourne Lights in MGM
And from what I hear on these boards there is going to be a Christmas themed thing in the Animal Kingdom, new for this year!

Everything is all decorated for the holidays and it is a lovely time of year to go!!!! Any other questions, please feel free to ask!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom