Trip Report Choosing Disney Over Iceland... Duh.

Hi all!

Time for another trip report from yours truly. I was dreading starting this because that means it is OVER.. but we are officially 262 days until our December trip so it stings a bit less.

This trip was planned very last minute for us, only about a month out. Our plan for our tax return was to visit Iceland to see the Northern Lights (a bucket list item for my husband Ian). The volcano situation got a bit wild over there over the past few months so we had to put that on the back burner for now.

The question arose - what to do now?! Obvious answer - Disney World!

When: March 1-6
Where: originally AS Sports, upgraded for a small amount more to Pop for skyliner access two days before our trip began!
Who: me (Annie), Ian (my husband), and Nora (our newly 2-year-old)

cover photo.jpg

Here we go!

lindawdw

When we took our 3-year-old to The Contemporary for the character breakfast back in the 1980's, she spent most of the time under the table trying to avoid the characters. 🤣 We avoided character meals until she was around 6 years old! Looks like a fun day at AK!!

annienevells

Original Poster
100% true! (And mostly holds true with teens as well 😉)
some things never change ;)
My littles took a few character meals before they warmed up. And they love talking about the fun time they had at the restaurants with their “friends”
she did LOVEEE talking about it!
When we took our 3-year-old to The Contemporary for the character breakfast back in the 1980's, she spent most of the time under the table trying to avoid the characters. 🤣 We avoided character meals until she was around 6 years old! Looks like a fun day at AK!!
I thought for sure we would say DONE WITH THIS for now... but she has talked about meeting the characters nonstop since we got home. So... I guess they are here to stay 😅

annienevells

Original Poster
We made it back to Pop after a pretty uneventful bus ride.

Nora was BEGGING me for the pool. She was obsessed every time we went by. But she was clearly so very tired and also needed some lunch, so back to the room we went.

She was introduced to the magic of Uncrustables on this trip. I bought them in our Walmart delivery order as an easy lunch for her and she was a big fan.

58.jpg

After her lunch she went down for a nap and zonked out pretty immediately.

Ian likes to nap during our breaks, while I like to read and swim. That is where I headed!

It was overcast and there were some light sprinkles, but I persevered.

59.jpg

The ice cream helped.

60.jpg

A selfie to make my friends and family back in Maine jealous ;)

Eventually I grabbed some refills on our sodas and headed back to the room.

62.jpg

Nora napped for 2ish hours and woke up ready to have some more fun. She had some yogurt, changed, and we were on our way back to AK!

We got to the bus stop when I realized she had her Minnie :rolleyes: I was frustrated with myself for not realizing, but it ended up working out in our favor.

63.jpg

While riding the bus we decided to snag a LL to meet Minnie and Mickey. Why, after the less than stellar experience at Tusker House? Well, she is a Minnie girl. And kept asking us "where Minnie?!!!!"

So... we did.

And her stuffed Minnie helped SO much. She gave her to Mickey and he gave Minnie a BIG kiss. Nora loved it so much. She still wanted to be held by mom, but loved the interaction.

64.jpg

Minnie had a wardrobe malfunction with the group before us, so she came in after Mickey's big kiss.

65.jpg

Happiest little girl in Disney World (safely sat on mom ;))

66.jpg

we were ALL so happy after this interaction. well worth the LL!

now, for the real reason we returned to the park. our favorite quick service - Flame Tree BBQ!

As always - pulled pork mac and cheese for the adults with a hot dog for Nora.

67.jpg

She approved!

68.jpg

Last edited:

annienevells

Original Poster
After supper I had promised Nora a playground and I planned to deliver BIG.

We headed to the Boneyard to allow Nora to let off some steam.

I swear she went down these slides 5O TIMES. She had a blast.

69.jpg

We eventually pulled her away to do one more thing before heading out for the night.

70.jpg

Back to TriceraTop Spin. She loved it once again with HANDS UP

71.jpg

We made our way out shortly before the park closed at 7. When we got back to Pop we grabbed some candy to snack on but barely had a couple bites after Nora fell asleep before we were out too.

73.jpg

Where to next?!

Minnie1986

We made it back to Pop after a pretty uneventful bus ride.

Nora was BEGGING me for the pool. She was obsessed every time we went by. But she was clearly so very tired and also needed some lunch, so back to the room we went.

She was introduced to the magic of Uncrustables on this trip. I bought them in our Walmart delivery order as an easy lunch for her and she was a big fan.

View attachment 775216

After her lunch she went down for a nap and zonked out pretty immediately.

Ian likes to nap during our breaks, while I like to read and swim. That is where I headed!

It was overcast and there were some light sprinkles, but I persevered.

View attachment 775218

The ice cream helped.

View attachment 775219

A selfie to make my friends and family back in Maine jealous ;)

Eventually I grabbed some refills on our sodas and headed back to the room.

View attachment 775220

Nora napped for 2ish hours and woke up ready to have some more fun. She had some yogurt, changed, and we were on our way back to AK!

We got to the bus stop when I realized she had her Minnie :rolleyes: I was frustrated with myself for not realizing, but it ended up working out in our favor.

View attachment 775221

While riding the bus we decided to snag a LL to meet Minnie and Mickey. Why, after the less than stellar experience at Tusker House? Well, she is a Minnie girl. And kept asking us "where Minnie?!!!!"

So... we did.

And her stuffed Minnie helped SO much. She gave her to Mickey and he gave Minnie a BIG kiss. Nora loved it so much. She still wanted to be held by mom, but loved the interaction.

View attachment 775223

Minnie had a wardrobe malfunction with the group before us, so she came in after Mickey's big kiss.

View attachment 775224

Happiest little girl in Disney World (safely sat on mom ;))

View attachment 775225

we were ALL so happy after this interaction. well worth the LL!

now, for the real reason we returned to the park. our favorite quick service - Flame Tree BBQ!

As always - pulled pork mac and cheese for the adults with a hot dog for Nora.

View attachment 775226

She approved!

View attachment 775227
Is the pulled pork mac and cheese as good as it looks? I love Flame Tree, but always wind up getting something else.

annienevells

Original Poster
Is the pulled pork mac and cheese as good as it looks? I love Flame Tree, but always wind up getting something else.
YES. We go out of our way to get it EVERY time. so good!!
Oh my goodness, your photos are sooo good! You really captured the sweetness of a little one in Disney and I was happy to see she warmed up a bit with Mickey and Minnie.

Peter Rabbit Aww GIF by Sky

What a great interaction with Mickey and Minnie!!! It looks like you all had the perfect evening at AK.
seriously made it all worthwhile! 😍

annienevells

Original Poster
The answer to where were we headed next?

HS!

We woke up to POURING rain this morning. Yuck. We were just crossing our fingers and toes that it wasn't accompanied by thunder and lightning so we could still take the skyliner to HS.

We were up and at em plenty early, so we headed to get a quick breakfast.

Someone tell this goofball she won't be needing her sunglasses any time soon..

74.jpg

Ian and I both got bounty platters to share with Nora. She mostly ate sausage and tots 😅

75.jpg

After breakfast we decked ourselves out in our ponchos and stroller cover. Nora was NOT happy about it, but she would have been even more miserable starting off her day all wet.

The line for the skyliner wasn't bad at all and before long we were boarding.

76.jpg

By the time we made it to HS the rain had cleared. THANK GOD. I couldn't handle Nora's protestations much longer y'all.

Nora looking concerned about being left to her own devices at security..

78.jpg

79.jpg

We made it into the park just before Early Entry. We were heading straight to Minnie and Mickey's RR!

80.jpg

The verdict on this one? Nora was a little nervous throughout the ride but emerged saying "SO FUN MAMA"

81.jpg

We headed back to ride some aliens next. Nora was in awe of Toy Story Land.

82.jpg

83.jpg

Another very serious selfie here but once the ride got going she was PUMPED. lots of giggles throughout!

84.jpg

annienevells

Original Poster
After our swirling saucers adventure, it was time for our first LL at Toy Story Mania.

85.jpg

Again, Nora was a big fan of the theming in here.

86.jpg

She would NOT keep on her glasses but was very into trying to beat dad.

After our ride I carried her off and headed to our stroller. When suddenly, I started to feel really warm... and really wet... on my hip.

Why, you ask? Well, Nora's diaper was pulling to the side and she peed all over me. UGHHHHH.

And naturally I had plenty of shorts and outfits for her to change into in the stroller. But for mom? OF COURSE NOT.

87.jpg

I decided to go after it with soap and water, a hand dryer and dream because I did NOT want to buy a shirt. A new sweatshirt? Yes, always. A tank top suitable for an 80 degree wet and humid day? Pass.

While I worked at drying my clothes and changing Nora, Ian secured a LL to meet Olaf. Nora recently watched Frozen so we thought why not?!

88.jpg

Another nervous meeting (she didn't have her stuffed Minnie as a security blanket this time)

But she did look to the box for group photo!

89.jpg

Ian requested that our next stop be Muppets.

90.jpg

Again, no luck with the glasses but she did enjoy it! (as did we!)

91.jpg

We decided our last activity for the morning would be the BATB show. We meandered a bit since we had some time before the first showing.

"hi froggy!"

92.jpg

At this point, Nora decided that she wanted a photoshoot. She started running up to random areas and posing while shouting "CHEESEEEEEEE" over and over.

94.jpg

It was the cutest. example and behind the scenes view below:

95.jpg

It was also between releases of the Muppets crowd so it was quiet in this area, allowing her to goof around for a bit!

annienevells

Original Poster
We finally made our way over to watch BATB.

96.jpg

We made it just in time with just a couple minutes before the show started.

97.jpg

Nora was a little wiggly during it, but once I let her stand on the ground between us, she started dancing along to the music (like fully doing tippy toe turns lol) and having a blast.

98.jpg

I was so glad we got to see it! Ian and I usually tear up at this show but it's difficult to fully engage when you're corralling a 2-year-old! 😅

A photo popped into our app during the show. Nora is looking at the photographer like "you can't fool me lady"

99.jpg

I had been able to grab a ToT, so we decided to make it quick and take turns before heading out. Ian went first while I grabbed a snack with Nora.

I know some of y'all aren't the biggest fans, but you should know by now that we LOVE a Mickey pretzel.

100.jpg

It only took each of us less than 15 minutes a piece to ride, so we were headed back out to the Skyliner and back to Pop for a break in no time.

101.jpg

Nora liked to put her hands up for everything now.

102.jpg

Once we got back the demands for pool time started up right away. Nora and I took a quick dip while Ian grabbed lunch. Then we switched off while he put her down for a nap. I was excited to read and lounge in the sun.

103.jpg

But then... the storms rolled in and the pools closed for lightning in the area. I was so sad because it had just been so sunny and beautiful!

I decided to wait outside my room to be READY when they reopened 😅

104.jpg

After about 30 minutes they reopened but without the beautiful sunshine. I still read and swam for a bit because it was still warmer than snowy Maine!

107.jpg

annienevells

Original Poster
ToT pictures also arrived while I was sunning!

105.jpg

106.jpg

I went back to the room just in time for two things - 1. Nora woke up and 2. it started downpouring again. UGH.

We had a dinner reservation at Mama Melrose we were looking forward to, so we decided to suck it up.

We headed to the skyliner in hopes that it was just rain, but no such luck. Since we were already in that direction, we grabbed a bus to HS from AoA instead of trekking back to Pop.

We were worried it might take awhile for a bus to show up but it didn't take long at all. And only us and another couple of folks on the ride!

109.jpg

Just like our morning's rainy adventure, the rain cleared up by the time we arrived!

Nora REALLY wanted to walk holding hands with mom and we weren't in any rush so I obliged 😍

118.jpg

We had some time to kill before dinner, so we went for something that was proven to be Nora approved - time for some swirling saucers.

Arms up!!

110.jpg

Photo from our walk in where this was the very best we could do lol

112.jpg

We decided to walk through Galaxy's Edge to dinner just for the views.

111.jpg

We checked in just before 6 and were seated fairly quickly.

113.jpg

Ian and I both went for the strip steak and it was soooo good. Hit the spot as always!

114.jpg

Nora opted for the kid's pizza and was also a fan. She was watching videos of herself from earlier in the day!

115.jpg

annienevells

Original Poster
We both also had the cannoli trio (because when on the dining plan, why not?!)

They were very good!

116.jpg

Nora got the kid's sundae which was also a hit.

117.jpg

Before this trip, we were SO excited to see Fantasmic. We had not seen it since its return. We figured that if Nora had a good nap that day, we could do it. But it was showing at 930 on this day. NO WAY.

Ian tried to convince me all day to see it solo while he put Nora down. I went back and forth all day but ultimately I wanted to see it with them and not alone.

But.. I decided to hang around the park for a few rides solo instead.

Rise was listed at a 45 minute wait but only took about 20!

120.jpg

I grabbed a MMRR LL for near park closing but noticed that ToT only had a 20 minute wait. I headed there next!

121.jpg

123.jpg

A little photoshoot to commemorate my solo evening.

124.jpg

The line moved quickly and soon I was riding with my twin. Can you spot her?

125.jpg

I made it over to MMRR just in time to utilize my LL! It was a bit more enjoyable riding without Nora because I stress about her too much on it!

126.jpg

On my way out I grabbed some popcorn to munch on during my Skyliner trip back to Pop.

127.jpg

I caught some Epcot fireworks on my way out as well.

128.jpg

It was a fun and relaxing solo evening. Ian said after he put Nora to bed she laid there and talked to herself about all the fun things we did that day 😍

Up next, the marathon touring continues!

erstwo

A few things:
First: All the heart eyes to Nora and all these sweet family moments!
Second: is that a TINY BABY ANIMAL in your photopass picture outside Muppets? I die.
Third: I know no one is perfect, but so many sweet couple moments - like Ian encouraging you to do the solo things that make your heart happy.
Really enjoying this trip report!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom