Chip N' Dales Imagineering Rangers, R2, Project 7

figmntal95

Original Poster
Well, well, well. A new Fantasyland dark ride. I'm just gonna start us off by suggesting Hercules. That movie is amazing, while being extremely underappreciated in the parks. I would also have to say Lion King, but I don't think we'd be able to use that....

Also, who wants to be team leader?

figmntal95

Original Poster
The Black Cauldron, Great Mouse Detective, The Rescuers, and maybe even Emperor's New Groove would also be good choices.

Chrononymous

Do you want to be our team leader?

I vote for you!

I would love to see a dark ride based on any of these... Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Mary Poppins, A combination of the Rescuers AND the Rescuers Down Under, Aladdin,or Mulan

mewhunter67

hmm... i like this project as well :)

lesse, hercules is great (but i've had this idea of a roller coaster for it!)

101 dalmations? we can follow their pooch aventures (make it feel like we were following along like dogs ourselves!), and the end could be a mr toadish chase with cruella?

i love the rescuers too... hmm... itd be odd to do a mary poppins, but i could see it working :)

i'll go thru my list of favs and think about it... :)

figmntal95

Original Poster
Sure, I'll take the leader position.

As of now, I'm beginning to lean towards a Rescuers ride. That'd be great because it's a good storyline.

mewhunter67

ok, i do like the rescuers story, but i'm still a little reserved, honestly. dark rides need a little more nowadays (look at the E ticket ariel coming out) i mean, it doesnt have to be e ticket quality, but how exactly will we translate this to an interesting and fun ride for guests (like the bouncing tigger for pooh, the surprises in SWSA, and pan's beautiful models)

basically, can the story provide a decent want to go back and enjoy it? :)

Those points aside, here's some of my ideas to see if we can make it interesting:

actually... how about if we did it one the scale of the critters? say, the guests are their size? it'll be similar in experience to honey i shrunk the kids play area, where the guests travel through the mice/critter world on teh same level.

the queue line could be the intro of the movie, going to teh headquarters, seeing the meeting taking place, etc. and then travelling the distance to wilbur (or was orville in this one? i'm never sure which)

i had thot about them riding thru as if they were on leaves or other small objects, like the makeshift boats that are available.

as they will be on the size of the critters, of course, averyone else will be much larger. imagine pennys face peering down, or the guest being caught by a giant gator snout and then swatted at by a giant broom. now, i dont think it would be possible to build an entire giant room for the different scale, but we could use the old trick of perspective, or even sleight of hand (having them look where we want them to)

i'd like that well scene too... they could skirt a giant deep hole, that spurts water, and also be pulled into the skeleton eye socket into a whirling world of color brought by the devils eye! :)

anyway, just some starting points i had:wave:

figmntal95

Original Poster
ok, i do like the rescuers story, but i'm still a little reserved, honestly. dark rides need a little more nowadays (look at the E ticket ariel coming out) i mean, it doesnt have to be e ticket quality, but how exactly will we translate this to an interesting and fun ride for guests (like the bouncing tigger for pooh, the surprises in SWSA, and pan's beautiful models)

basically, can the story provide a decent want to go back and enjoy it? :)

Those points aside, here's some of my ideas to see if we can make it interesting:

actually... how about if we did it one the scale of the critters? say, the guests are their size? it'll be similar in experience to honey i shrunk the kids play area, where the guests travel through the mice/critter world on teh same level.

the queue line could be the intro of the movie, going to teh headquarters, seeing the meeting taking place, etc. and then travelling the distance to wilbur (or was orville in this one? i'm never sure which)

i had thot about them riding thru as if they were on leaves or other small objects, like the makeshift boats that are available.

as they will be on the size of the critters, of course, averyone else will be much larger. imagine pennys face peering down, or the guest being caught by a giant gator snout and then swatted at by a giant broom. now, i dont think it would be possible to build an entire giant room for the different scale, but we could use the old trick of perspective, or even sleight of hand (having them look where we want them to)

i'd like that well scene too... they could skirt a giant deep hole, that spurts water, and also be pulled into the skeleton eye socket into a whirling world of color brought by the devils eye! :)

anyway, just some starting points i had:wave:

That's basically kinda what I was thinking. I think we have some good ideas here.

stitchcastle

I'm going to be the annoying one and say that the Rescuers' theme doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of Fantasyland Forest, That world is set in relatively recent times as opposed to the medieval times of the rest of the land.

I propose "Robin Hood" to be our team's classic of choice, it already blends in perfectly.

or if you want to be brave, we can do "Enchanted".

or even better, a "Mickey and Friends' Fairy Tale Adventure" where we mash up all those famous Mickey cartoons where they re-tell 'Jack and the Beanstalk', 'The Three Musketeers', 'The Prince and the Pauper' and we could even add our own fairy tales to it. It's also a good way to bring Mickey and Friends back to Fantasyland.

It could be three dark rides in one (one track for each story) where we could use the Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Tokyo's ride system so guests never know what ride they will be riding that day.

figmntal95

Original Poster
I'm going to be the annoying one and say that the Rescuers' theme doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of Fantasyland Forest, That world is set in relatively recent times as opposed to the medieval times of the rest of the land.

I propose "Robin Hood" to be our team's classic of choice, it already blends in perfectly.

or even better, a "Mickey and Friends' Fairy Tale Adventure" where we mash up all those famous Mickey cartoons where they re-tell 'Jack and the Beanstalk', 'The Three Musketeers', 'The Prince and the Pauper' and we could even add our own fairy tales to it. It's also a good way to bring Mickey and Friends back to Fantasyland.

It could be three dark rides in one (one track for each story) where we could use the Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Tokyo's ride system so guests never know what ride they will be riding that day.

We are doing Robin Hood. Ten million thoughts just came into my head.

Chrononymous

Oh heck yeah! I love Robin Hood! A true classic...with a decent story where we could do some amazing effects too, I think.

Did I misunderstand...do we have to eject a ride out of Fantasyland first...to make room?

(Cuz for my vote...Snow White should get the boot.)

Are we gonna keep this to some extent a traditional black light flourescent experience?

Or are we going to step it up to a more POTC level?

Either way, I think it will be marvelous.

TrevorA

In the Parks
Yes
You do have to replace some entity of the Fantasy Forest. And, please let us know when you have reached a decision on your attraction subject matter. We want to make sure that the teams are doing different things.

---TrevorA

Chrononymous

I do think I have found a potential challenge with Robin Hood (as I am currently watching it now...)

Most dark rides have, well...some "darkness" in them. I guess there are some moments in the movie that are a little suspenseful, but most of the villainous scenes are comical.

It will probably still work...but the story part of the best dark rides (IMO) have soem slightly scary moments.

also...ride vehicle ideas? There really isn't anything that translates to a good "vehicle" for this film, is there?
I am thinking about Mr. Toad...and it's crazy automobile trek. Of course not all dark rides have great vehicles (DL's Alice doesn't really either)

Hmmmm....Sorry...just typing out loud! :D

mewhunter67

don';t worry about being the annoying one, stitch. you and i have a similar eye on that one... it was part of the reason i was reserved about it in teh first place (although, i didnt totally realize it was meant to focus on the forest until just now :p)< i really feel the fool. i totally didnt notice the 'new fantasyland' forest tag when i read it today....

ok, so robin hood... i love it. as for a vehicle, i was like, 'arrows!' lol. i thot of a horse or mule wagon. maybe more of a carriage, like teh sheriff was in, just open instead of closed... the guests could even 'reenact' the scene as if they were being robbed by robin hood! :D

i will tell you, the end of the movie def scared me when i was little. the whole burning castle, and mad prince john going nuts with the ax? that could def be a climax.

the only odd thing is we'll have a cliched ending with their marriage (i just feel like it's overdone! ;) )

hmm... i'll sleep on it some more

mewhunter67

and stitch, btw, i love your last idea in that post... it's one of the ideas i think will make a realllly great ride up coming, with switching tracks (mines more in the hands of the guest, but your ideas almost mirrors it!)

stitchcastle

I propose, whatever project we take on, that we replace the obvious entity in FLE that I think everyone wants gone: Pixie Hollow, not necessarily the ride part but the meet and greet area.

If we go with Robin Hood, the entrance could either look like a medieval fort reminiscent of King Richard's castle where we could set our story to a tapestry come to life (we have the rooster sing us into the tapestries) or an elaborate woodland entrance to Sherwood Forest and start it more like a traditional dark ride straight into the story.

I agree with mewhunter, we should use a horse or mule wagon for the ride vehicle.

I also don't like the cliched wedding ending so we could probably shorten that for the end.

If we go with the Mickey and Friends Fairy Tale, the entrance could easily be the abandoned "Mickey Ville" renderings for DLP:
Mickey%27sTheatre90+copy+1.jpg

Eitherway it sounds to me like the other team may also be going with Robin Hood so we kind of have to wait and see. From what I read they're torn between Sword in the Stone (awesome choice) and Robin Hood

mewhunter67

I propose, whatever project we take on, that we replace the obvious entity in FLE that I think everyone wants gone: Pixie Hollow, not necessarily the ride part but the meet and greet area.

If we go with Robin Hood, the entrance could either look like a medieval fort reminiscent of King Richard's castle where we could set our story to a tapestry come to life (we have the rooster sing us into the tapestries) or an elaborate woodland entrance to Sherwood Forest and start it more like a traditional dark ride straight into the story.

I agree with mewhunter, we should use a horse or mule wagon for the ride vehicle.

I also don't like the cliched wedding ending so we could probably shorten that for the end.

If we go with the Mickey and Friends Fairy Tale, the entrance could easily be the abandoned "Mickey Ville" renderings for DLP:
Mickey%27sTheatre90+copy+1.jpg

Eitherway it sounds to me like the other team may also be going with Robin Hood so we kind of have to wait and see. From what I read they're torn between Sword in the Stone (awesome choice) and Robin Hood

You keep mentioning mickey and friends; i'll think on that one too.

i also saw SitS, and i was like, omg, that'd be awesome (i'd love to see the magical stuff be unpacked and the magical fight scene!) so, good choice there, I guess it is a wait and see attitude

Chrononymous

My only problem with Mickey and friends...is that it's not one classic movie...but a series of movies. I'm not sure it would fly... But then again...if the ride goes through a different story each time...that might be the coolest thing ever.

OK...if we are still doing Robin Hood...Mewhunter and Stitchcastle...you have some great ideas! I love the idea of a carriage vehicle.

And I feel you have to have a little bit of the wedding scene at the end....even if it's just a painted backdrop.
Speaking as the token girly girl...I think we have to have some happy ending romance in there somewhere!

figmntal95

Original Poster
Alright, then let's go ahead and choose Robin Hood. We have tons of great ideas for that and it completely unrepresented in all the parks.

The only thing I see wrong with doing the Mickey and Friends ride is that they are already represented in Fantasyland. Some may think Philharmagic only really represents Donald, but also remember that Mickey has his own land (for the time being), his own stage show in MK, 2 parades featuring him, etc.

I'll PM Mater with Robin Hood unless anyone has any quick final interjections.

MaterA113

We (TrevorA and I forgot to tell you this), this Round (the 2nd round) takes place 5 years AFTER the Fantasyland Expansion is complete, so around 2018... Just a frame of focus! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom