Chicken exits

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
My fiancee and I are getting married in the fall and we're taking my two kids to WDW a month later as a new family honeymoon of sorts (her idea actually). This will be our first trip as a foursome to WDW and she doesn't do all the rides like we do. She does however want to experience the pre-shows and the theming of the queues but will not go on the rides for Space Mtn, Splash Mtn, ToT, RnR and Everest.

My question is: is there a chicken exit right before boarding on these rides? Splash will be tough I know because most of the "pre-show" is actually part of the attraction/ride itself.

Lee

Adventurer
Yes.
You can go through the entire queue as a group and use the chicken exit just before boarding each of those rides.

Not sure why anyone would want to....:lol:

graphite1326

My fiancee and I are getting married in the fall and we're taking my two kids to WDW a month later as a new family honeymoon of sorts (her idea actually). This will be our first trip as a foursome to WDW and she doesn't do all the rides like we do. She does however want to experience the pre-shows and the theming of the queues but will not go on the rides for Space Mtn, Splash Mtn, ToT, RnR and Everest.

My question is: is there a chicken exit right before boarding on these rides? Splash will be tough I know because most of the "pre-show" is actually part of the attraction/ride itself.

HOWEVER, what your fiancee needs to know is this is Disney. Comparing Disney thrill rides to other amusement part thrill rides, I find Disney's to be relatively calm. More fun than scarey. For example: although Space Mt. has all the warnings, I would not hesitate to recomend it to someone who is scared to death of roller coasters. I find the take-off at RNRollercoaster to be the most thrilling of any ride at WDW. I would rate that higher on the scare level than ToT. It took me a long time for my family to get me on ToT. I got tired of missing out of all the fun and just decided to go on no matter what. Now it is one of my favorite rides.

Hey you only live once and that drop at Splash Mt only last seconds.

WDW2010

Well, thats how I was until I finally got the courage on my first trip to WDW in 2010. Looking at these rides, standing in the queue I did not know what to expect. I've been to six flags and I hated the rides, I did not feel safe on any of them. Last month, I went on every ride possible BUT RnR.

In 2010 I was so scared to ride Everest you and your fiancee would have no idea. But you know what, I road it the first time, then again..then again and again. It wasn't busy at all at Ak when I went and the FP were available for a long time and guess what, I just kept getting one.

There is a "chicken" exit BUT try to convince her its not scary, its just a whole bunch of fun. Seems like your in my girlfriends shoes and I'm in your fiancees. Until finally I broke down and said I need to ride these rides and now I am hooked.

WDW2010

HOWEVER, what your fiancee needs to know is this is Disney. Comparing Disney thrill rides to other amusement part thrill rides, I find Disney's to be relatively calm. More fun than scarey. For example: although Space Mt. has all the warnings, I would not hesitate to recomend it to someone who is scared to death of roller coasters. I find the take-off at RNRollercoaster to be the most thrilling of any ride at WDW. I would rate that higher on the scare level than ToT. It took me a long time for my family to get me on ToT. I got tired of missing out of all the fun and just decided to go on no matter what. Now it is one of my favorite rides.

Hey you only live once and that drop at Splash Mt only last seconds.

You are so right, with everything you said. Last year on my first trip I did not do Splash Mountain, Tot, or RnR. Took a lot of courage to do ToT and Splash but I did it and now they are my favorite rides. RnR had a long wait so I skipped that ride, onto next year!

*The drop only last seconds but its a extremely fun few seconds.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
With Splash there is not much "pre-show" in the queue, but there is some. The "chicken exit" is just to go first on loading and walk across the log and follow the people exiting the log into the exit. Let the CM at loading know she doesn't want to ride, no problem.

My experience with "chickens" suggests that she'll never listen to you, but if your kids tell her it's not something to be afraid of you'll have a better shot at convincing her. :animwink:

WDW2010

With Splash there is not much "pre-show" in the queue, but there is some. The "chicken exit" is just to go first on loading and walk across the log and follow the people exiting the log into the exit. Let the CM at loading know she doesn't want to ride, no problem.

My experience with "chickens" suggests that she'll never listen to you, but if your kids tell her it's not something to be afraid of you'll have a better shot at convincing her. :animwink:

Why didn't I think of that ! lol

ob1thx1138

My 16 year old is not a roller coaster rider at all. He will ride spinning rides, but something about a roller coaster gives him the shakes and he cannot ride them. However he rode everything at WDW except ToT and loved every bit of it. I am sure he will love ToT whenever we convince him to ride it as well, but I am not going to try and force him to ride it.

On the other hand our 9 year old would ride anything thrown at him. There is nothing too extreme for his taste. Funny how kids can be so different.

disneylovin

As a chicken...LOL I wil never never never ride Big Thunder or Space again. They terrified me. As I got off Space I informed my family that I hated them and would never forgive them for lying to me. Now they let me enjoy the part of WDW I love, the shops and the atmosphere while they are getting their coaster/ToT fix. :)

Some of us HATE the feeling in the stomach those rides give, Please please don't "trick" or "guilt someone into riding something they know they will not like. My father growing up forced me onto every roller coaster he could find thinking the next one will be the one to make me love them as much as he did.

I know, some people need that kind of push but not everyone will like it. :D

Walt Disney1955

Haunted Mansion is fine. This isn't a typical Haunted House where you are walking through it in pitch black. They have tons of those in Niagara Falls and the "chicken count" is usually at around 100,000 on the big name ones. In other words that many people have entered the haunted house and been scared spitless to the point that they want out. If you've been through them you can understand why. But Haunted Mansion at WDW is nothing like that. It's fun, not scary fun so much (although it might be creepy if you had to spend the night in there) but the attention to detail would be worth the journey.

I'll say the same thing about Splash Mountain. The drop lasts three seconds. But I've often said Splash Mountain is like "Its a Small World" with a 50 foot drop at the end.

Space and Thunder are actual roller coasters so I don't blame her if she wants to skip out on them. Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster are NOT meant for chickens either. The anticipation alone in Tower of Terror would freak her out.

DABIGCHEEZ

For TOT... just tell her she will not want to miss the great theming in the queue and that the elevator stops for one last "chicken" exit at the top. :lookaroun

Then again, if you do this papers may be filed before you get home! :lol:

MissM

Some of us HATE the feeling in the stomach those rides give, Please please don't "trick" or "guilt someone into riding something they know they will not like. My father growing up forced me onto every roller coaster he could find thinking the next one will be the one to make me love them as much as he did.

I know, some people need that kind of push but not everyone will like it. :D
Exactly! Thank you so much for saying this. There is a big difference between a little bit of nervous butterflies but wanting to ride a ride and someone who is truly scared. The sensation of "falling" to me literally makes me feel like I'm dying. It will ruin my entire day. I've long been subject to people making a big joke about my dislike of such rides and endured very annoying "jokes" about various ways of forcing me on the rides. It's not funny and it can be very hurtful when people don't respect other people's boundaries.

If she honestly doesn't want to do it, don't push. Please just let her be. She'll either grow out of it or not. And if she doesn't, know you can have just as much fun at Disney and miss a handful of rides.

Rob562

In actual practice in using the chicken exits on the "thrill" rides at WDW, your best bet would be to tell the "grouper" (the person who asks you how many people in your party) something like "three plus one non-rider").

Most groupers come after the pre-show (or at the front of the line for attractions without a pre-show), but one exception is Mission Space, where the grouper is located at the front of the line where you're sent into the Briefing Rooms. They'll direct the riders on which spots to stand and the non-rider to stand in the middle of the room. Then the next set of CMs after the pre-show will direct them to the exit in the next corridor.

-Rob

loveofamouse

Personally, in our family, the rule is

Try It Once

For us, we say you don't want to skip a ride for years only to find out you could totally handle it. IMO space mt is nothing and splash has only the 1 drop really. Space Mt only goes about 25mph, I believe (dont quote me). My mom is a chicken. Typically, she'll try a ride once. When it comes to coasters, though, we ride first and tell her if she could handle it. lol.

She can watch some rides as ride throughs on YouTube. That could help her better determine if she can handle it. If it's just fear of the unknown, that can help. If it's an up and down thing, that doesn't involve all rides. If it's an upside down thing(like my DH), again, that doesn't involve all rides.

disneylovin

Exactly! Thank you so much for saying this. There is a big difference between a little bit of nervous butterflies but wanting to ride a ride and someone who is truly scared. The sensation of "falling" to me literally makes me feel like I'm dying. It will ruin my entire day. I've long been subject to people making a big joke about my dislike of such rides and endured very annoying "jokes" about various ways of forcing me on the rides. It's not funny and it can be very hurtful when people don't respect other people's boundaries.

LOL Thank you! Space Mountain terrified me. Honestly, it did. I thought I was going to die. No, I'm not exaggerating. My heart stopped beating for a second, panic set it and I knew I was going to die. Sure, it's ONLY 25 miles an hour and it's nothing. But for me it wasn't nothing. As a 36 year old woman I will not ride anything that is considered a coaster. I will not ride anything that pulls me down. Dinosaur and Kali are iffy for me. The "drop" at Pirates can give me a moment of oh my. LOL

Does that make me a coward? Sure and I'm fine with that, but the panic attack isn't fun, it isn't cool and it will send me into a very unlikeable position for everyone around me. LOL :lol:

This year though, for the family I have promised to chicken exit everything I won't ride. If they don't have a chicken exit I will just continuously say excuse me as I go backward down the line. :)

While I would ALWAYS support trying a ride before you decide you hate it (especially Big Thunder and Splash, because they are relatively tame), your wife should have no trouble using chicken doors on those rides.

Just make sure that she decides that she doesn't want to ride BEFORE you enter the ride vehicle. I've seen it twice on ToT and Soarin' that people get strapped in and then panic because they don't want to ride it. Castmembers aren't nearly as understanding at this point as they are before you are assigned your row.

As I said above, I really think that your wife should try these rides, not skip them. But don't force her :)
Everest is a fun rollercoaster, very tame, not rough at all. I am afraid of big rollercoasters and have never had trouble on Everest.
Rock n' Rollercoaster is a good one for chicken doors, because she will get to see the launch before she gets to the grouper. It will be easy for her to decide if the ride is for her or not. In fact, she'll probably meet a crowd at the chicken door who have made the same decision as her.
Tower of Terror is super fun, but if she's really afraid of heights or hates the feeling of falling, she really shouldn't ride. My mother hates both and was scared to death on ToT. If those don't bug her, then she should probably give it a go.
Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain are not big or intense roller coasters at all, but they are old, so they are rougher. I know Space Mountain REALLY throws you around, especially when you sit near the back. Gave me whiplash last time :/
Splash, the only intense moment is the big drop, and it only lasts a little while. Go for it!

The chicken doors are all easy to reach for these rides, just explain to the castmember when you reach the front of the line. :)

draybook

I agree about not tricking someone into going on a ride. I don't like to do thrill rides either. Not because I get sick, but because it's more like a panic attack of sorts. Like when we went on BTMRR in 09, I let my wife talk me into it. For most of the ride I was semi-slumped down, pressing against the seat in front of me.

I don't like being pressures into things and I don't do it to my kids either. To each their own though!

JohnnyDollaz89

If she honestly doesn't want to do it, don't push. Please just let her be. She'll either grow out of it or not. And if she doesn't, know you can have just as much fun at Disney and miss a handful of rides.

Thats me im scared of every ride that has a drop or any flips or anything. My bestfriend and brother got me on Space Mountain when i went in December of 09 and it wasnt that bad, i just had my brother behind me trying to make me get sick while riding it. But when i go back in July of this year I will probably ride it again since it wasnt that bad and I will most likely try out Splash Mountain for the 1st time in my life. Oh and so you guys know this will be my 16th trip to WDW and up until Dec. 09 i never did any crazy rides. Im still iffy to go on Everest, TOT and RnR. I watch the videos on Youtube all the time whether its with the lights on or off.

Im terrified of rollercoasters. And this trip ill be with my dad, brother girlfriend and bestfriend. My dad doesnt do much rides he just loves being in Disney and will do rides that arent too crazy. But my GF, Brother and Bestfriend all love Roller Coasters and are trying to get me on TOT, Everest and RnR. I refuse to do it because i am petrified of flips and big drops. But i dont wanna look like a little baby infront of my Girlfriend even though she isnt gonna care. But this is his 1st time to WDW in over 10 yeas and i wanna make it special for her. IDK if i should try the rides and see what happens.

Oh and BTW i have High Blood Pressure, but take pills for them every night before i go to bed, im a very nervous person so IDK if thats even good to even try these rides out, Somebody help me out

Mikester71

Thats me im scared of every ride that has a drop or any flips or anything. My bestfriend and brother got me on Space Mountain when i went in December of 09 and it wasnt that bad, i just had my brother behind me trying to make me get sick while riding it. But when i go back in July of this year I will probably ride it again since it wasnt that bad and I will most likely try out Splash Mountain for the 1st time in my life. Oh and so you guys know this will be my 16th trip to WDW and up until Dec. 09 i never did any crazy rides. Im still iffy to go on Everest, TOT and RnR. I watch the videos on Youtube all the time whether its with the lights on or off.

Im terrified of rollercoasters. And this trip ill be with my dad, brother girlfriend and bestfriend. My dad doesnt do much rides he just loves being in Disney and will do rides that arent too crazy. But my GF, Brother and Bestfriend all love Roller Coasters and are trying to get me on TOT, Everest and RnR. I refuse to do it because i am petrified of flips and big drops. But i dont wanna look like a little baby infront of my Girlfriend even though she isnt gonna care. But this is his 1st time to WDW in over 10 yeas and i wanna make it special for her. IDK if i should try the rides and see what happens.

Oh and BTW i have High Blood Pressure, but take pills for them every night before i go to bed, im a very nervous person so IDK if thats even good to even try these rides out, Somebody help me out

Most people are probably going to tell you to give it a try, what is the worst thing that could happen to you. I say don't do it though, it's not worth all the worrying and panic you are going to put yourself through leading up to your vacation and during it. Trust me, as a self confessed worry-wart/nervous person myself, I know first-hand what is will do to you. I rode everything at WDW our first trip because I was one of those people who thought that you should give everything a try at least once. Mean while, I am not very good when it comes to heights and spinning at all. But like I said, I tried everything that year at least once. TOT kinda scared me, but I still got on it and think I actually didn't mind it when I got off that day. But I have never rode it since, nor do I plan to. When I saw that blast off on RnR, I about flipped out. I still got on it though, liked it, and am now hit and miss with it depending how I am feeling that day (for the record, took the chicken exit out this past trip in March :eek:). Space Mountain looked scarier than it actually was and is now one of my favourite WDW rides. Splash Mountain has never been a problem for me, until this past trip where I bailed out on the family. Even rode Mission Space the first year and didn't seem that bad until after the ride when I found out you are spinning and never rode it again (rode the tame version this trip though).

Like you, I have ridden stuff so that I didn't look like a chicken in front of a girl (ex girlfriends and my wife to be exact). After a while, I said to myself that it just wasn't worth putting myself through the unnecessary stress. I was so stressed about getting back on TOT and RnR that I thought about it for weeks before our second trip and it almost ruined the trip for me. No reason for it really. It is so frustrating when someone who LOVES all rides can't see why someone maybe wouldn't like a certain ride or two. My best buddy and wife are kinda like this, even after I ask my friend (who is petrified of boats) why he won't go out on a boat ride with me or why my wife won't pick up a spider or a snake. They just don't get it sometimes. Why is THAT any different than what they are asking me to do.

Oh well...my wife finally accepts it I think. She still looks at me funny sometimes if I back out of a ride that I have ridden a bunch of times for no reason, but at least she doesn't try to change my mind anymore. Heck, she kinda likes it on some stuff because she can go through the single rider line and get on SO much quicker! :p

Thrill Seeker

Actually, we have a nice walkway over the flume that is our "chicken exit". Let the first CM you see in the loading area know you aren't going to ride, then go up the stairs at the back of the loading area, across the bridge, down the stairs and out of the loading area to the exit. We normally don't allow people to cross logs unless it's a last minute decision not to ride. Please also note that anyone waiting must completely leave the loading area. This includes the exit ramp.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom