Chef Mickey's relocating to convention center during upcoming unplanned maintenance

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Just got a phone call about my August 1st reservation... found it interesting that they specifically said "unplanned kitchen maintenance". Confirmed basically all other details noted in the original article here (moving to Convention Center, all the characters will still be there, etc). Nonetheless, I already have a breakfast with (most) of the Fab Five at Tusker House, and most of my interest in taking the kids to Chef Mickey's was for the setting, so I'll be canceling my reservation. Just to decide where to go instead now...

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Am I the only one confused by the phrase "unplanned maintenance"? By definition, maintenance is something you plan to do. If something needs to be repaired, that's a repair, not maintenance.
Not really. In business / finance / accounting, "Repairs and Maintenance," i.e. R&M, is one thing.

fireworkz

Just to decide where to go instead now...

If you want Mickey and theming (and don't mind stitch and family style rather than buffet) Ohana in Poly is good. If you want a buffet and are good with Minnie, Goofy and Donald head for Cape May Cafe - the food is better than Chef Mickeys IMO, not too mention a Friendship boat or short walk to World Showcase.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Like Disney calling its customers "guests", it's just a way to make it sound nicer in a notice or press release. "Repairs" implies something happened, or the place is falling apart. Personally, I would just say "closing for maintenance" and leave it at that.
I heard a large family of rats tied up a health inspector and a former sous chef and then took over the kitchen... ;)

drizgirl

Are some really suggesting there is no ambience at Chef Mickey's? The monorail whizzes by overhead every few minutes! As a kid, I was in heaven!

As an adult, I think it is obscenely over-priced and over-rated.
We still do it from time to time. I enjoy it, but yes it is obscenely over priced.

If I was visiting during the relocation, I would cancel in a heartbeat.

bhg469

Are some really suggesting there is no ambience at Chef Mickey's? The monorail whizzes by overhead every few minutes! As a kid, I was in heaven!

I'm sure when you were a kid, the cost was reasonable.

rob0519

There are seats in Chef Mickey's from which you cannot see the monorail as you eat. While at the buffet, sure. It's a total experience. At least the characters will still be in the ballroom.

Bender123

Bird poop is part of the theming at Contempo.

Ive never been in the section with the monorail or concourse views. Im always in the back part by the windows, under the monorail platform and just assumed the bird crap WAS the theming. Glad I am not alone in this thought. I have reservations there two days before they close, so maybe this time I will see the wonderful theming people are saying they will be missing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Bigger impact on Disney then the guests imo. The place is pretty generic- but is not barren. Hopefully Disney can dress the space up approximately.

They may have some major equipment that needs replacing. Seems like a long period tho... must be some significant work. Flooring, electric or more.

I have a breakfast reservation on July 29th. I've never been to Chef Mickey's or the Contemporary, so I have no idea what I would be missing, if anything. Should I keep this reservation and see if Disney does anything to make up for moving it, or do I just book a new breakfast somewhere else?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom