Chef Mickey's relocating to convention center during upcoming unplanned maintenance

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I have a reservation on August 1st and haven't been contacted yet, so this news is a bit out of the blue... hoping they delay and we'll sfill be at the maon location, but I'll have to seriously contemplate changing reservations if the location is moved to the convention center (something special about the regular location with the monorails going overhead).

Last edited:

Disney4family

:(
Part of the magic of dining here is the ambiance - the monorail, the Grand Canyon Concourse, the Contemporary itself.
Ugh.
We haven't been contacted yet either. We'll be there August 12th.

So - The Contempo Cafe and the Outer Rim haven't been affected by this?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If it's so urgent why not close it NOW and Git-r-done. Don't bother relocating the restaurant just do the two shifts thing. Yes it will suck if you had reservations but Disney has never had qualms in the past about forcing guests to 'embrace the suck'.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
For anyone with a reservation, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to have dinner with Chef Mickey in the Convention Center. Chef Mickey's will be back to normal soon enough, but this could be a real treat.

Can't tell... sarcasm? Atmosphere here is half the experience... if they moved Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table, or California Grill to a convention center room, would you still consider that a "real treat" or a "once in a lifetime oppertunity"?

Mickey5150

Can't tell... sarcasm? Atmosphere here is half the experience... if they moved Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table, or California Grill to a convention center room, would you still consider that a "real treat" or a "once in a lifetime oppertunity"?
No sarcasm, but Chef Mickey's theming is the characters, not the castle. No one knows what Disney is going to do to Chef Mickey's in the convention center and they could do something special to take care of customers who were expecting to be in the restaurant.

*Q*

:(
Part of the magic of dining here is the ambiance - the monorail, the Grand Canyon Concourse, the Contemporary itself.
Ugh.
Magic to the people dining there... but that restaurant is bloody annoying to everyone actually staying there being woken up by that noisy nonsense at 6:30 AM every morning. Unless they've majorly dialed that back over past couple of years since I stayed there last.

Disney4family

Magic to the people dining there... but that restaurant is bloody annoying to everyone actually staying there being woken up by that noisy nonsense at 6:30 AM every morning. Unless they've majorly dialed that back over past couple of years since I stayed there last.
My sister had a room on that side of the resort. She complained about the "woman screaming into the microphone" all morning. I tried explaining to her that it's a recording. I think they did listen to people and lower the volume. It is more muted than in years past. I was fortunate to have a room on the north side so it didn't affect me. It's something they should have thought about when they put the restaurant there.
I'm sure there's always a low din of noise now that they have The Contempo Cafe set up there. I'm usually there when they open at 6 having coffee. (I get up at 4:30 to commute to teach & usually leave my house at 6 so having coffee then is late for me.) It's honestly a wonderful, quiet way to start my day.

*Q*

My sister had a room on that side of the resort. She complained about the "woman screaming into the microphone" all morning. I tried explaining to her that it's a recording. I think they did listen to people and lower the volume. It is more muted than in years past. I was fortunate to have a room on the north side so it didn't affect me. It's something they should have thought about when they put the restaurant there.
I'm sure there's always a low din of noise now that they have The Contempo Cafe set up there. I'm usually there when they open at 6 having coffee. (I get up at 4:30 to commute to teach & usually leave my house at 6 so having coffee then is late for me.) It's honestly a wonderful, quiet way to start my day.
It's a great idea for a restaurant, but I kinda wish they had just kept it at the (Disney Village/Springs) Marketplace.

Animaniac93-98

Am I the only one confused by the phrase "unplanned maintenance"? By definition, maintenance is something you plan to do. If something needs to be repaired, that's a repair, not maintenance.

Like Disney calling its customers "guests", it's just a way to make it sound nicer in a notice or press release. "Repairs" implies something happened, or the place is falling apart. Personally, I would just say "closing for maintenance" and leave it at that.

ajmellu7

I am there on the 13th August, not heard anything yet, will it be back in the restaurant then do we think or in the convention centre?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom