1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Chef Mickey's relocating to convention center during upcoming unplanned maintenance

Discussion in 'WDW Restaurants and Dining' started by wdwmagic, Jun 30, 2017.

1. rob0519

rob0519 Well-Known Member

You can probably find a video on YouTube to see what the actual restaurant in the CR looks like. The big selling point of Chef Mickey's is more the 5 characters (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto and Goofy) than the food and even the surroundings. If your family meeting those characters for pictures and autographs I would keep the reservation. If not, you could try for another character breakfast ADR, but this close to your date, I'm not sure how successful that would be.

2. gsam4ever

gsam4ever Well-Known Member

If I was going with my kids when they were younger I would cancel because part of the fun for them will be seeing the monorail pass overhead when you are eating. Either way the food is going to still be just average and you will still have the characters stopping by. But if the characters are a huge selling point then just go and have fun.

3. ekutchey

ekutchey Active Member

We will be there on August 12th for breakfast and haven't heard anything yet. Except for this notification on WDWMagic and others a few days ago.

Disney4family likes this.
  4. purplepansy

purplepansy Member

Thank you both. I have a 2 year old on her first trip, so I think we'll stick with the reservation and see how it goes. The characters are really the important part!

5. Disney4family

Disney4family Well-Known Member

Same here. We have an ADR for Aug 12th, too.
    The kids are hoping they're waiting to let us know since there's a chance they'll finish whatever they have to do early and everything will be back to normal by then.

ekutchey likes this.
  6. Bender123

Bender123 Well-Known Member

The vast majority of the restaurant is not in view of the monorails, so its not that big of an issue. The prevailing theme of the restaurant is "Cramped and noisy room with windows and characters!" Your two year old will never know the difference and, likely, the convention center will be vastly more peaceful and less hectic for your own sanity.

7. Disney4family

Got the email today -

Hello!

We hope you are looking forward to your upcoming visit to the Walt Disney World Resort.

We wanted to provide you with some important information regarding your reservation at Chef Mickey’s at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Due to unplanned kitchen maintenance that coincides with your dining experience, we are moving our all-you-care-to-eat buffet with Chef Mickey and friends to the convention center at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Except for the location, your experience and reservation time will remain the same. You will have the same opportunity to create magical memories with Chef Mickey and his friends in our temporary home. Again, we are sending this message to ensure that you have the most up to date information regarding where to check in for your dining experience.

When you arrive to Disney’s Contemporary Resort for your dining reservation, Cast Members will be on hand to assist you with directions to the new location at the convention center. Again, your dining reservation time has not changed aside from the location within Disney’s Contemporary Resort.

Should you have any questions or need additional assistance, you are welcome to reply to this email and a Cast Member will contact you. In your message, please include your name, telephone number, and your reservation number.

We look forward to hosting you soon.

Guest Experience Services
    Walt Disney World Resort

flynnibus likes this.
  8. rob0519

rob0519 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the CR Management Staff will arrange for some type of appropriate theming in whatever ballroom they are going to use for Chef Mickey's. It will be interesting to see the first pictures.

9. purplepansy

purplepansy Member

Just got an email from Disney that my July 29th reservation is back in the concourse and will not be impacted by kitchen maintenance anymore. Not sure if it got pushed later or is no longer needed.

10. Disney4family

Oooooooooo - that is interesting!!!!!!! We haven't cancelled yet for our 8/12 ressie. We're waiting to see what's going to happen. (While I do want parents with little ones to enjoy the experience we all love, I'm not sure how many would want a 7am ressie.)
    Thank you so much for the update!!! :)

purplepansy likes this.
  11. Coaster Lover

Coaster Lover Well-Known Member

So, was the maintenance moved or we're they able to find a way to do it during off hours?

Attached Files:

12. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Original Poster Administrator Moderator

13. Disney4family

We got our email yesterday about this!! I'm so glad we didn't cancel. :)

14. huwar18

huwar18 Well-Known Member

Did they ever say why they scheduled the maintenance out of nowhere? That's great that they canceled it. It is a great place to take the kids!

15. Disney4family

And the adults who feel like kids when they're there! :joyfull:

huwar18 and Victaman like this.
  16. drizgirl

drizgirl Well-Known Member

I know things happen, but dang I'd be disappointed if I had cancelled the ADR when I got notice of this.

17. tissandtully

tissandtully Well-Known Member

Giant mouse infestation.

bee and huwar18 like this.
  18. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Huh. I wonder if they decided they could do the required maintenance after hours.

19. fngoofy

fngoofy Well-Known Member

OR
    You could go over to the poly and have breakfast where John Lennon signed the paperwork ending the Beatles.
    [​IMG]

Wespionage, COProgressFan and bhg469 like this.
  20. huwar18

huwar18 Well-Known Member

We went last year for the first time since I was little. It was still great. I was pleasantly surprised!