Checkpoints at MK for EMH

scpergj

Now the attitude that the Parks are for resort guests only is dumb, EMH are for resort guests only, not WDW resort.

Incorrect. EMH are SPECIFICALLY for guests at any of the WDW resorts, not for everyone.

I'm getting kind of sick of this entitlement attitude that some people have that just because the parks are open for some guests, they have a right to be in the park. If you want EMH, stay at a resort.

Kevin

Dwarful

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think DisneyWales was saying that anyone who buys a ticket can get into the park of their choice. IF you want EMH benefits you have to pay to stay at a Disney resort. I agree with this 100%. The whole EHM is set up to be a 'perk' for those staying paying to stay with Disney. The last few evening EMH we have been to have been so crowded the benefit was pointless. The line for Soarin' at Epcot was nearly 2hrs, with that many people still in the parks, lines for snacks were longer as well (probably because they had fewer stands open as well). It all has an impact on how much or what you can do in those extra 3 hours.

I don't think most non-resort guests (which we have done before) plan on staying for EMH with the thought "I'll spend an extra 3 hours shopping".

Aurora23

How long after "official" closing time will they hand out the wristbands at the stations in the park? Say I have an ADR during park closing, but I still need to pick up a wristband.

dave2822

The parks tend to take a while to clear out as it is. If you only stay for the first hour of an EMH, you will probably notice little to no difference in wait times and crowds.

And even with just resort guests in the parks, waits can still add up for the most popular attractions. IMO, no matter how you handle the crowds, EPCOT & MGM will always be semi-nightmarish for EMH, because there are such few attractions guests stay to experience. MK is usually the most bearable.

That said, I haven't really seen too many issues with non-resort guests trying to ride attractions during EMH, and cast members usually catch most that try it. And if they wanted to stay just to enjoy the ambiance, eh, I guess I could be persuaded either way on this topic.

dave2822

How long after "official" closing time will they hand out the wristbands at the stations in the park? Say I have an ADR during park closing, but I still need to pick up a wristband.

I would most certainly avoid trying to get a wristband after closing, it is a n-i-g-h-t-m-a-r-e. They usually have stations set up 2 or 3 hours before closing, perhaps even longer on busy nights. I'd suggest trying to snag them then.

sweetpee_1993

Well as a non resort guest (seeing as we have a home in florida that we stay in), i tend to got to the park just for a break, the number of times we have gone to a park just to have a look, or see a night show prolly outnumbers the times we have gone for the full day. We even go just for meals, nothing else.

Now the attitude that the Parks are for resort guests only is dumb, EMH are for resort guests only, not WDW resort.

Now i think Disney should keep the parks as free of Non resorts guests as possible, however if they wish to shop then they should be aloud to, after all i have paid for my park entry, my flight and my accommodation to stay in FLorida just as you may have done so to stay on property. I just choose to stay in my own home, rather than stay in a hotel 10 minutes away.

Now MK as the best solution to this, as people have stated, checks at the various land pathways. This was non resort guests who wish to shop can do so on Main Street, yet the attractions etc are still free for EMH guests.

Im sure there is a way for this to work at the other parks also, but please don't tell me that you deserve to spend more time as the resorts because you choose to stay on disney property (this is aimed at those few snobs who think they are special and clever for staying on property, not a general attack at most sensible and mature members).

I don't think people are necessarily being snobby about the whole EMH thing. One of the perks Disney advertises for 'WDW Resort Guests' is EMH's. This refers to people who are staying in the WDW resort hotels on property. This is offered as an incentive to spend what it takes to stay on their property in their hotels. It's not that WDW hotel guests think that others who love Disney but stay off-property for various reasons are not as good as they are or less dedicated to the Disney-experience because they aren't spending the money to stay in the WDW resort hotels. Disney advertises this particular perk for the guests at their hotels and most people like to get what they are paying for. I know I do. Non-WDW-resort-guests shouldn't take this personally. It's not intended that way. If EMH's were for anyone who paid admission to be in the park(s) they wouldn't be EMH's. They'd just be later/limited operating hours.

Also, in reference to the notion that it shouldn't be a big deal for non-WDW-resort-guests to stay in the parks just to partake of the atmosphere/shop/dine during EMH's, I disagree with that as well. Again, it goes back to the fact that Disney has advertised to their resort/hotel guests that the EMH's are special for them only. If you crowd in extra people that are not resort/hotel guests then it takes away that exclusivity that has been advertised. The shops, restaurants, and park(s) are more crowded. The perk is aimed at less crowds. It does detract from the perk as a whole.

I wish there were an easy solution for people like DisneyWales who travel long distances but have circumstances that don't make it sensible for them to stay on the property and partake of EMH's. I guess one of those solutions would be what seems to be the ongoing effort to add some extra magic by having Pirate & Princess Parties, MNSSHP, MVMCP, etc. As much as admissions are to these parties it may be more reasonable to just get a single night stay in a value resort utilizing some of the discounts that float out there even if you aren't staying so that now you are legitimate in staying for EMH's.

Personally, I'm glad that Disney is making an effort to keep the EMH's for their hotel guests. That's one of the things I feel like I pay for in staying there. The reason I feel that way is because that's what Disney advertises. In all the years we've been, I didn't even realize that non-resort guests stayed because I thought it would be pointless for them. In addition to the check-points I think it would also help to check wristbands at the cash registers in the shops or at the check-in booths at the sit-down restaurants. Let wristband-less people make purchases in shops and counter-service eateries for perhaps 1/2 hour after official park closing in limited locations closest to the park entrances (ie. Main St. or Mouse Gear) and then stop. Let wristband-less people check-in for dining reservations at the podiums at the restaurants until park closing and stop. That along with the check-points could get the job done.

But please, don't think that I feel like I'm better than someone else because I'm a WDW hotel guest. I just feel like Disney has advertised this perk, I bought the perk, and I should receive the perk. That's all.

Scooter

If the Disney people want the non Resort guests out of the park during EMH, they need to ENFORCE it ALL THE WAY. Disney has a habit of making rules and then not following up on them for fear of upsetting people.

When EMHs start, instead of just having checkpoints for EMH wristbands, they need to take it a step further (but they won't) to include: No wristband, no counterservice food/and or beverages. No Wristband, no purchasing items in the gift shops.

I have no problem with non Disney Resort guests hanging around during EMH except for one thing....

..The gift shops are crazy packed with tired, hot, sweaty, non Wristband wearing people with big strollers and bad attitudes. These people had all day in the park and have had more than ample time to do their gift buying before Extra Magical Hours started, but they insist on doing their shopping during EMH. They also know that Disney wants their almighty dollars and won't do anything about it.
This is BS. Disney needs to either let non resort guests stay or NOT let them stay, but they need to make up their minds and then ENFORCE their own rules.

mousefan1972

I don't think people are necessarily being snobby about the whole EMH thing. One of the perks Disney advertises for 'WDW Resort Guests' is EMH's. This refers to people who are staying in the WDW resort hotels on property. This is offered as an incentive to spend what it takes to stay on their property in their hotels. It's not that WDW hotel guests think that others who love Disney but stay off-property for various reasons are not as good as they are or less dedicated to the Disney-experience because they aren't spending the money to stay in the WDW resort hotels. Disney advertises this particular perk for the guests at their hotels and most people like to get what they are paying for. I know I do. Non-WDW-resort-guests shouldn't take this personally. It's not intended that way. If EMH's were for anyone who paid admission to be in the park(s) they wouldn't be EMH's. They'd just be later/limited operating hours.

Also, in reference to the notion that it shouldn't be a big deal for non-WDW-resort-guests to stay in the parks just to partake of the atmosphere/shop/dine during EMH's, I disagree with that as well. Again, it goes back to the fact that Disney has advertised to their resort/hotel guests that the EMH's are special for them only. If you crowd in extra people that are not resort/hotel guests then it takes away that exclusivity that has been advertised. The shops, restaurants, and park(s) are more crowded. The perk is aimed at less crowds. It does detract from the perk as a whole.

I wish there were an easy solution for people like DisneyWales who travel long distances but have circumstances that don't make it sensible for them to stay on the property and partake of EMH's. I guess one of those solutions would be what seems to be the ongoing effort to add some extra magic by having Pirate & Princess Parties, MNSSHP, MVMCP, etc. As much as admissions are to these parties it may be more reasonable to just get a single night stay in a value resort utilizing some of the discounts that float out there even if you aren't staying so that now you are legitimate in staying for EMH's.

Personally, I'm glad that Disney is making an effort to keep the EMH's for their hotel guests. That's one of the things I feel like I pay for in staying there. The reason I feel that way is because that's what Disney advertises. In all the years we've been, I didn't even realize that non-resort guests stayed because I thought it would be pointless for them. In addition to the check-points I think it would also help to check wristbands at the cash registers in the shops or at the check-in booths at the sit-down restaurants. Let wristband-less people make purchases in shops and counter-service eateries for perhaps 1/2 hour after official park closing in limited locations closest to the park entrances (ie. Main St. or Mouse Gear) and then stop. Let wristband-less people check-in for dining reservations at the podiums at the restaurants until park closing and stop. That along with the check-points could get the job done.

But please, don't think that I feel like I'm better than someone else because I'm a WDW hotel guest. I just feel like Disney has advertised this perk, I bought the perk, and I should receive the perk. That's all.

Very well said. I completely agree.

DisneyWales

Just to clear up, i am aware of EMH and how it workd, i just think my bad use of english confused my point a little.:lookaroun

What im saying is EMH doesn't appeal to me much, i have an AP so i can come and go as i please, also i always go to a different park if possible if i know it is an EMH Evening as i find them too busy before EMH even starts. now for people who come down for a 1-4 days its a fantastic way to ensure they get the most out of their stay on property, also i have no issues with people getting more for staying on property, after all it makes sense, you do pay a premium to stay in a Disney Hotel (usually).

The same way as a pass holder i also get benefits too. My gripe however is with people who believe they should have better treatment just because they stay on property, get more yes, but be treated better or different hell no.

I guess im not getting my point across well. My issue isn't with EMH i always happily leave at the time non resort guests leave, and i have always thought that Disney should better manage the number of guests in the parks during EMH. Just don't tell me that because you pay to stay in a Disney Hotel you are entitled to more Disney than me, guess thats what i'm trying to say. Im not referring to EMH, im referring to the people who say things like "transport should be for people staying on property" etc.

If i would like to shop after the attractions are closed i still want to be able to do that even in its EMH, however i do not expect to go on the attractions, as i know that is a "perk' for on property guests.

Figment82

When EMHs start, instead of just having checkpoints for EMH wristbands, they need to take it a step further (but they won't) to include: No wristband, no counterservice food/and or beverages. No Wristband, no purchasing items in the gift shops.

I have no problem with non Disney Resort guests hanging around during EMH except for one thing....

..The gift shops are crazy packed with tired, hot, sweaty, non Wristband wearing people with big strollers and bad attitudes. These people had all day in the park and have had more than ample time to do their gift buying before Extra Magical Hours started, but they insist on doing their shopping during EMH. They also know that Disney wants their almighty dollars and won't do anything about it.
This is BS. Disney needs to either let non resort guests stay or NOT let them stay, but they need to make up their minds and then ENFORCE their own rules.

That is very improper thinking on your part. The average guest does most of their shopping on their way out of the park, EMH or no EMH. Guests will continue shopping until about 1.5-2 hours after the official park closing time. Yes, Disney offers package delivery/pickup, but the average guest would rather enjoy the attractions, maybe browse the shops, then buy what they want at night and take it out with them rather than remembering to pick their items up at a later point.

EMH starts right at closing time, so the fact that guests are still in the stores 1.5-2 hours into an EMH is NO different than any other normal night at a park. The non-wristband guests do not think "Oh wow! We now can shop until midnight and they won't kick us out!" They are usually just thinking "Let's shop for the souvenirs that we have been eyeing all day, and then head back to our hotel/home/etc." There is no ill-will from the non-wristband guests, it's just the way that after hours shopping works at the parks. The only difference to an EMH night is that wristband guests will then shop after EMH ends (as if it were a regular park closure) and will continue to shop until about an hour after EMH ends, and that, I think you will agree, is worse than the average guest doing their normal shopping after the park closes and EMH begins.

But if you in all of your noble, holier-than-thou thinking believe that non-wristband guests should be forced to leave immediately at park closing and not be allowed to shop, then I urge YOU to be the one to volunteer to stand at the doors and tell those little kids that they can't buy the toys they've been looking forward to getting all day, just because their parents chose not to stay in a Disney resort.

Justin Jones

Are EMH really travelers' #1 incentive for staying on property?!?!?! I've never even considered this. I stay on property because transportation is so easy and the theming is better than off property hotels and the Disney World experience feels much more complete and the proximity to the parks and...

Seriously, we don't even go to EMH. If Disney stopped the service today, I wouldn't even blink twice. Oh, and yes, I would continue staying in Disney resorts. :)

stitchtastic

If a park can be cleared for ticketed events such as P&P party etc then why can't the same logic be applied to EMH when asking guests to leave. I've not attended one yet and therefore don't have experience of how they ask guests to leave but I'm guessing they do or there would be a riot from all those who have paid extra to attend such events. Thus, logically, resort guests have also paid extra and should therefore be afforded the same courtesy. And for me EMH is a factor when deciding whether to stay on or offsite - its not the only one but it is a considerable one. Iam definitely not a them V us type of person but it really annoys me to see non-wristbanded people getting onto attractions. Yes it did happen, I saw it, I was there! And as previously mentioned all the extra "day" guests remaining in the park increases the crowd levels for food,shops and attractions and then the overwhelmed transportation at the end of the day:hammer: .
Would you like it if I sold you a cream cake but gave everyone in shop a lick first? - thought not!;)

dave2822

I think, from what I've noticed, that the EMH procedure is working better each day. Remember this is still relatively new, and they've tweaked the rules/procedure a few times, so this kind of stuff takes time.

Most people I talk to who have a bad EMH experience usually only stayed there for 30 mins to an hour - which makes sense for them to leave if they weren't having fun - but some people seem to have this illusion in their head that the minute the clock rings closing time people will POOF! into thin air.

Before EMH, some shops remained open for guests after closing, and most times guests are still able to get into line right before "official" closing time. So, for the first hour, as I mentioned, there is not going to be a noticable change in crowd attendance.

After a little bit, guests make their way to the exit, they've picked out their souvenirs, and crowd levels do get better ... the big attractions will still have waits, sometimes lengthy ones, but the park is by no means crowded anymore.

Again, this is speaking from my experience, if others have had bad experiences with non-resort guests getting into attractions long after park closing, then yes, Disney certainly needs to figure out how to handle this better. But in all the times I've done EMH I usually spot mostly wristband-wearing folk. Maybe I'm lucky :shrug:

Dwarful

Personally, I LOVE the morning EMH, don't care for the evening EMH all that much, esp. during peak seasons as they always seem packed up until the end. I really wish they would bring back the "Eride" nights...so worth the extra $$$.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Personally, I LOVE the morning EMH, don't care for the evening EMH all that much, esp. during peak seasons as they always seem packed up until the end. I really wish they would bring back the "Eride" nights...so worth the extra $$$.

You must be my long lost cousin :)

cymbaldiva

But if you in all of your noble, holier-than-thou thinking believe that non-wristband guests should be forced to leave immediately at park closing and not be allowed to shop, then I urge YOU to be the one to volunteer to stand at the doors and tell those little kids that they can't buy the toys they've been looking forward to getting all day, just because their parents chose not to stay in a Disney resort.

You know, you had me until that last little bit...

Lack of planning/preparedness on anyone's part does not constitute an emergency on mine or anyone elses. While I haven't been to Disney in 7 years, the shops were open before closing the last time I was there, so I'm fairly certain they still are now allowing plenty of shopping time for all. Please don't lay guilt out on me for choices made by other guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom