Character assault

tigsmom

Halfling418 said:
Wow. When are people going to learn some decency?

When society demands it.

While I will not go as far as saying good manners are no longer taught to our littles ones, there just doesn't seem to be an emphasis on them anymore. It amazes me when adults comment of my children's manners (basic please, thank you, etc), maybe I'm missing something... isn't that how they are supossed to act?

Tigger1988

TAC said:
You mean that kids are not supposed to run around a restaurant tugging at table cloths, screaming, playing 'tag,' etc. ? Had that happen to us in one restaurant, where we were "regulars." This went on for over 10 minutes. We were done with our meal, and when the waitress brought the check she knew I was ed. She apoligized. :confused:

As we were leaving, I asked to see the manager. He came out, and I told him, "When you can tell your other customers that this is not a day care facility, we will be back."

Ok, imagine that...ON A AIRPLANE, the whole flight these kids were running in the asile, hitting people, and other various things. I found it amazing / horrifying that the flight attendants did NOTHING to stop them.

tigsmom

The only place I have ever seen management say anything to parent of misbehaving kids was at The Mirror Lake Inn in Lake Placid. They "suggest" that guests with kids eat at 5 pm (no problem with us ). There were 4 families and an older couple there. These kids were screaming and running under tables, etc. The manager came over to the parents & said "we have made you meals TO GO. If you will plese return to your room we will have them delivered". :eek:

Craig & Lisa

I for one know that if I see it happen I would catch the person and restrain them, ( very painfully I might add), and hold them until secruity arrived, as there were so many witnesses, they would have really no way of defending themselves by my restraining methods or that they didn't do anything wrong.

Woody13

tigsmom said:
When I first took Lil'mermaid (then 4) thats what we saw at WDW also. I don't remember seeing any other CMs around. Poor Belle was swapmed with little girls and she has this terrirble look of fear in her eyes.
The kids and parents would push others out of the way to get their autograph & "perfect picture" . I like the meet & greet line up system much better, though there are still some who just can't wait their turn.
I recall the days at The Magic Kingdom when "The Big Bad Wolf" and "The Three Little Pigs" would make appearances in Fantasyland. Routinely, children would gang up on the wolf and kick him, punch him and pull out his whiskers. Both the parents and the children thought this was great fun. Sometimes adults would join in on the "fun". It was my understanding then that WDW always cast that character with the knowledge and expectation that the wolf would get a "woopin" from the guests at each appearance. It was part of the set.

Does the wolf still appear at WDW?

diddy_mouse

I can't believe the disrepect some people have. What gives them the right to do things like this? I have noticed a downturn in the new generation of children. I work at a kids store (PB Kids) and the parents think that we are some kind of day-care, that their children are entitled to run amok and tear things up in the store. yes we sell children's toys and such, but we are business nonethless.

It makes me sad. :(

barnum42

TAC said:
As we were leaving, I asked to see the manager. He came out, and I told him, "When you can tell your other customers that this is not a day care facility, we will be back."
*Makes mental note to remember that line* :lol:

PhotoDave219

drew smith said:
I talked to my friend today and the one who hit Pooh got away. Disney didn't do anything and the guy wasn't kicked out, at least to her knowledge. He got away.

How typical..... i know i used to keep an eye on a friend of mine when they did sets. I think the worst thing i ever saw/delt with was line cutters.

drew81

Original Poster
It is typical, and that is extremely sad.

I talked to a friend of mine last night. He got beat up several years ago when he was friends with a character. He went home with bruises all over. He pressed charges against the guy, but Disney didn't really back him up. The guy was more stand-offish towards the cop who was called. The cop ended up encouraging him to do it. Either way the company should support and do everything to protect each Cast Member.

tracyandalex

unfortunately, aside from having the characters being ecsorted by police officers these kinds of things can't really be prevented. i do agree that it would be nice if pooh could havce drop kicked that stupid jerk!!!

tracy

PixyDust

If I were every unfortunate enough to see someone intentionally hitting a CM, character, etc., I'd start snapping the ole' digital camera. Instant pictures and proof to show security.

wdwjmp239

drew smith said:
I was talking with a friend who was good friends with Winnie the Pooh at the Studios yesterday. Pooh was walking to his set at the hat when some gutter trash idiot thought it would be funny to come from the back and hit him. I'm not talking about a love tap. It was a closed fist punch to his head. Pooh was very upset over the whole thing. Friar Tuck and the character greeter had to help Pooh.

This situation made me think that all of us that frequent the parks need to be more thankful and appreciative of the characters. A mere thank you can make their day.

What's the punishment for the guests that do that?

TheDisneyGirl02

Woody13 said:
I recall the days at The Magic Kingdom when "The Big Bad Wolf" and "The Three Little Pigs" would make appearances in Fantasyland. Routinely, children would gang up on the wolf and kick him, punch him and pull out his whiskers. Both the parents and the children thought this was great fun. Sometimes adults would join in on the "fun". It was my understanding then that WDW always cast that character with the knowledge and expectation that the wolf would get a "woopin" from the guests at each appearance. It was part of the set.

Does the wolf still appear at WDW?

I've only seen the Big Bad Wolf once and that was at a Not So Scary party last fall.

As far as what people to do characters, when I was a greeter, guests would routinely tell their kids to pull on Pluto's tongue or his tail telling them 'it wouldn't hurt them'. I should have had a recording saying, "please don't pull on his tail on tongue, it hurts him". Sometimes people just amaze me!

TheDisneyGirl02

wdwjmp239

TheDisneyGirl02 said:
As far as what people to do characters, when I was a greeter, guests would routinely tell their kids to pull on Pluto's tongue or his tail telling them 'it wouldn't hurt them'. I should have had a recording saying, "please don't pull on his tail on tongue, it hurts him". Sometimes people just amaze me!

TheDisneyGirl02

Those guests who say that shouldn't be allowed in the parks. If they have bad intentions to torment the "characters", then I think the parents need to go back to their hotel rooms for a "time-out."

BAD PARENT.... NO DISNEY!

:D

Tornado

I was 19 on my last trip, and will be 22 on my next trip, so I guess I fall into the catagory of people that attack characters.
I, however, will always wait my turn in line, pose for my picture when it's my turn, say thank you to the character, and i've been known to give up my place in line to a family with kids if the line is closed. I've been to Disney multiple times, I don't need to have my picture taken, i'd rather a family got the opportunity.

disneybabynat

wot kinda persongoes to disney world and puches a character? why did they even go in the 1st place?just to cause trouble everywhere cos no genuinie person that goes there wood even dream of doin a thing like that...:cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom