Character assault

POOHKILLEDTOAD

Florida Statues 784.03 States That A Battery Is An Unlawful (unwanted) Touch Or Strike. Its a misdemeanor. press charges and make an example of them.

PhotoDave219

drew smith said:
I was talking with a friend who was good friends with Winnie the Pooh at the Studios yesterday. Pooh was walking to his set at the hat when some gutter trash idiot thought it would be funny to come from the back and hit him. I'm not talking about a love tap. It was a closed fist punch to his head. Pooh was very upset over the whole thing. Friar Tuck and the character greeter had to help Pooh.

This situation made me think that all of us that frequent the parks need to be more thankful and appreciative of the characters. A mere thank you can make their day.

I really hate it when stuff like that happens. Really makes me PO'd.

I remember last summer when my pal Pluto told me a story or two of a day at DAK which didnt sit well with me. (No, im not giving details)

Thankfully, i know no one of Pooh height.... Good job by Tuck.

wdwishes2005

PirateStagehand said:
That's understandable but too bad. I teach self defense and the fact is that if you are assaulted you have the right to defend yourself within reason. But apparently if you wear a costume than the rules change you just have to take an idiots crap and just move on.

But...how cool would it be to see Pooh, still in costume, turn around and throw a nice jumping side kick to some jerk! I'd laugh.

i could imagine the lawsuit now...

Mommie, why did pooh just kick that man?
because that man was very naughty.
oh, my my brother bill has been naughty...
WHACK.

DisneyHoneymoon

:D While at MK on July 4th a long queue was forming in front of City Hall, to the right of a purplish character (minor one, not sure if its name).... who was signing autographs.. anyway, a 10-year-old or so who did not want to wait on line, ran up to the character's behind from the left, grabbed the character's tail and smiled widely for Daddy's camera shot.

Immediately the handler scolded the boy, and his father, saying "don't ever do that again. You can be ejected from the park for touching the character like that."

So perhaps the handlers are more vocal and more observant due to incidents.

DisneyWood

It would be worth watching..

tigsmom said:
And if the character defends themselves they run the risk of losing their job.

Now if Pooh did fight back, not only would the character get fired, but the incident would scar any child that witnessed it. "Look daddy, Pooh pounced on that man over there & is beating him senseless, what did he do?" I guess he said something negative about Christopher Robbins, or didn't wait in the proper line for his autograph.

I guess that I am extremely naive, but I never thought anyone would mess with the characters. I have never witnessed anything, and would definitely say or defend a character. Who in their right mind would think this type of behavior would be cool or acceptable?

I started to make it a point to tell every character that my children either got to meet or take a picture with, thank you. There job provides so much happiness for children in the parks. It is a shame that this stuff happens.

Snoballego

I am good friends with some of the characters (ie. Goofy). Unfortunately, it does happen. One time Launchpad McQuack was out "meeting and greeting" after the castle show on a hot summer day. Launchpad was taking a photo when out of nowhere he was blindsided full speed by two teenage boys. Launchpad didn't suffer any injuries but it took the help of two very kind guests to help an awkward Launchpad get back on his webbed feet.

But...In my opinion, the friendly adult guests and the well behaved kids always greatly outnumber the rude or even violent folks. Folks like you guys (the great ones) make a lot of the cast members feel they have one of the most rewarding jobs out there.

-Snoballego

tigsmom

DisneyWood said:
Now if Pooh did fight back, not only would the character get fired, but the incident would scar any child that witnessed it. "Look daddy, Pooh pounced on that man over there & is beating him senseless, what did he do?" I guess he said something negative about Christopher Robbins, or didn't wait in the proper line for his autograph.

I guess that I am extremely naive, but I never thought anyone would mess with the characters. I have never witnessed anything, and would definitely say or defend a character. Who in their right mind would think this type of behavior would be cool or acceptable?

I started to make it a point to tell every character that my children either got to meet or take a picture with, thank you. There job provides so much happiness for children in the parks. It is a shame that this stuff happens.

I agree with you here. To many people these characters are a part of the family. I know my kids (when they were small) would be devastated if they saw something like this happen. I also remember when one of our members was assaulted while working. It is a natural instinct to strike back... he lost his job for doing so. I think there has to be a middle ground somewhere.

I have never witnessed anything like that either and it never crossed my mind until I saw it reported here awhile back. I guess there is just no figuring some people out.

My stand on this is that, if caught, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law & be barred from entering again.

DLP Fan

The characters in Paris get treated very poorly by adults and kids alike. Very few characters have cast members with them. It only seems to be at an official character photo oppertunity that the cast members help organise the crowds of people and only then that you get some time with the characters. Guess they want a good icture to be taken so you'll buy it!

At all other times kids surrond the character, grab onto their legs, and simply don't let go! I once saw Pooh get jumped on from behind from 2 twenty-something year olds. Pooh was all alone with no cast member near by just lying on the ground. Was awful. People who act like this are complete idiots. I can not understand why people behave in this way.

tigsmom

DLP Fan said:
The characters in Paris get treated very poorly by adults and kids alike. Very few characters have cast members with them. It only seems to be at an official character photo oppertunity that the cast members help organise the crowds of people and only then that you get some time with the characters. Guess they want a good icture to be taken so you'll buy it!

At all other times kids surrond the character, grab onto their legs, and simply don't let go! I once saw Pooh get jumped on from behind from 2 twenty-something year olds. Pooh was all alone with no cast member near by just lying on the ground. Was awful. People who act like this are complete idiots. I can not understand why people behave in this way.

When I first took Lil'mermaid (then 4) thats what we saw at WDW also. I don't remember seeing any other CMs around. Poor Belle was swapmed with little girls and she has this terrirble look of fear in her eyes.
The kids and parents would push others out of the way to get their autograph & "perfect picture" . I like the meet & greet line up system much better, though there are still some who just can't wait their turn.

drew81

Original Poster
My friend wants to keep her job and that's why she didn't fight back. She knows it would affect other guests perception of the characters if that happened.

drew81

Original Poster
Snoballego said:
I am good friends with some of the characters (ie. Goofy). Unfortunately, it does happen. One time Launchpad McQuack was out "meeting and greeting" after the castle show on a hot summer day. Launchpad was taking a photo when out of nowhere he was blindsided full speed by two teenage boys. Launchpad didn't suffer any injuries but it took the help of two very kind guests to help an awkward Launchpad get back on his webbed feet.

But...In my opinion, the friendly adult guests and the well behaved kids always greatly outnumber the rude or even violent folks. Folks like you guys (the great ones) make a lot of the cast members feel they have one of the most rewarding jobs out there.

-Snoballego
Poor Launchpad

pat in the hat

duchess1576 said:
How immature! Unfortunately, a lot of teenage and college boys think this is a funny thing to do because the guys on that show "Jackass" do it. QUOTE]

I think that you are right on the money here . . . whether it's TV, movies, or CDs (take your pick) such individuals (male or female) have too little self esteem (and the IQs to match), so they think that they'll be cool if they imitate what they heard/saw.

Tigger1988

tigsmom said:
When I first took Lil'mermaid (then 4) thats what we saw at WDW also. I don't remember seeing any other CMs around. Poor Belle was swapmed with little girls and she has this terrirble look of fear in her eyes.
The kids and parents would push others out of the way to get their autograph & "perfect picture" . I like the meet & greet line up system much better, though there are still some who just can't wait their turn.

Yes, I remember the days of no CMs with the characters. It was scary, cause people had no abandon for the children, it didn't matter to them if another child got hurt. Just as long as their child got their photo/autograph. Its sad.

tigsmom

steviej said:
True, but what about a wrongful termination lawsuit?

What makes you think its a wrongful termination? I have not seen the contract so I don't know what it says, maybe there is a clause against it? I do know I discussed this with the CM who was terminated and he felt it better to move on. Since its not my story I really can't give you what he was told.

Yukinon

tigsmom said:

Oh my goodness, yes I remember that too!! When I first went I was 10 yrs old and very shy, I hardly got any pics that year b/c of the characters getting "mobbed" thats why we started doing character meals :D Yes this meet and greet is MUCH better, and now I'm in my 20's and feel no shame standing in line to get my pic with a character :)

We have this wild picture of about 50+ people mobbing the Beast, it really is scary! I think it was the year that movie came out, but still it was crazy those years!

However on this last trip I did see some characters without another CM with them -- saw Mickey and Minnie in the American pavilion (it wasnt the bus thing, just the 2 of them) with nobody around and ppl kept running up to them in front of me that I yelled "hey its MY TURN" then I finally got up there!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
steviej said:
True, but what about a wrongful termination lawsuit?

Disney will settle it out of court and pay enough to keep it out of the news ;)

jeff_in_FL2003

This doesn't only happen to costumed characters. I have known several operations, food and beverage, custodial cast members who have been hit, kicked and otherwise purposely hurt by guests. One time, a girl I worked with at Pirates of the Caribbean was very hurt by an intentional hard hit from a male guest. He was of course taken care of properly. And it is not true, as was mentioned in an earlier post, that we are asked not to pursue action against a guest. I won't say that I know of anyone who has pressed charges but I have never been told and have never heard of anyone being told that it would be greatly frowned upon. Cast members are human beings, with rights like everyone else and Disney does treat us as such, contrary to what may be said. That's not to say that one wouldn't be terminated for retaliation. That's a different story.

Jeff °o°

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom