Chapek's comments - he doesn't want anyone on this board at WDW any more

HM Spectre

Sad, but not surprising. Like all large corporate value engineers, Chapek is betting on the brand.

He thinks the brand is so strong that it will sell tickets despite massive price increases. He thinks the brand is strong enough that reduced quality and service won't stop people from coming. And he's trying to push the envelope as far as he can. Honestly, he probably thinks you could slap the Disney brand on a Six Flags park and still have people foaming at the mouth to get in.

So far, he's unfortunately been proven right... but it takes a lot of guts (or stupidity) to do this into a coming recession. Right now, Disney is living off the brand while being transformed into a terrible value proposition. If people are ever forced to consider the value in what they're getting from a Disney vacation vs. an alternative, Chapek is in big trouble. It's barely affordable as-is for regular folks and it's only going to get worse.

Regardless, it's a terrible situation for anyone who loves the parks. Until people vote with their wallets and stop paying regardless of what Chapek puts in front of them, we're going to keep getting less while being charged more until the experience is just a shell of what it was (if it's not there already).

Br0ckford

Just watched a story on the news this morning. All about everyone complaining how bad it is there now. Dirty, rides broken, low value high cost. Do Chappie and his crew not see this, or just turn a deaf ear to it.
Read Premier League GIF by The First Team

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Do Chappie and his crew not see this, or just turn a deaf ear to it.
They pay very close attention to guest feedback scores. This is an over-simplified example, but this is my understanding of how they think about things.

Pretend there's a bathroom that they used to clean every 10 minutes. They decide to look for ways to save money so they start cleaning that bathroom every 15 minutes. If that area continues to receive "Excellent" cleanliness scores, maybe they go to 20 minutes. If it continues to receive "Excellent" cleanliness scores, maybe they go to 25 minutes. If, at that point, the cleanliness scores start to decline, they go back to 20 minutes. They push and push until guests start to notice, and then they back off.

The Colonel

Next improvements to the customer mix will be limiting solos and couples. They're not spending enough.
Then maybe limit older guests, they're real stingy.
Maybe they can ask for copies of tax returns before they let guests enter to gauge the disposable income.

MickeyLuv'r

Of course they are.

Yeah but you admitted that it was an apples to oranges comparison. Box Office visits was generally the only way to see a film for 50 years. That isn't true anymore. A more direct comparison of how much money a movie made would be to compare Song of the South with all the home video sales of Princess and the Frog. You start to throw in merchandise sales and potential future earnings and it's clear to see that Princess and the Frog is the real winner here.

Even if you want to subscribe to the most cynical view, that it was being done for money, PatF is going to make Disney far more money than Splash Mountain did.
I'm sorry. I posted a few facts about the history of the movie that I found interesting. You appear to be more interested in arguing. Whatever you are trying to argue has little bearing on the tidbit of history that I found interesting.

Disstevefan1

Next improvements to the customer mix will be limiting solos and couples. They're not spending enough.
Maybe they can ask for copies of tax returns before they let guests enter to gauge the disposable income.
Maybe they could add notifications to the MDE app to tell us when we are not spending enough like, “Warning, you risk being blocked from future park pass reservations unless you increase your spending while in the park”

Even better, when you are trying to make a park pass reservation, they first check your spending history to see if you have spent enough, if no, you are blocked from park pass reservations, if yes, then, if your spending is high enough, you get choice of all four parks, if enough but lesser, you get only EPCOT or AK as choices. 😉

Last edited:

el_super

I'm sorry. I posted a few facts about the history of the movie that I found interesting. You appear to be more interested in arguing. Whatever you are trying to argue has little bearing on the tidbit of history that I found interesting.

Sorry, there seems to be this push that Song of the South was a better movie and that it's removal from the parks is unjustified, that really just needs to be shut down.

MadderAdder

I have a feeling couples spend a lot on food and drink (!!) though.

MickeyLuv'r

Even better, when you are trying to make a park pass reservation, they first check your spending history to see if you have spent enough, if no, you are blocked from park pass reservations, if yes, then, if your spending is high enough, you get choice of all three parks, if enough but lesser, you get only EPCOT or AK as choices. 😉
And if your spending history is really low, you will only be permitted to visit Disney Springs and the nearest DVC kiosk.

Permission to enter Epcot is an upgrade.

I have a feeling couples spend a lot on food and drink (!!) though.
Yes if anything Disney has become more adult centric over the years. They are the ones with money. Take a look around and see exactly how many kids are actually there. As an ex cast member I would venture to say the Disney Adult is rather a new thing. They are not selling those loungefly and dooneys to kids. 20 years ago you would get excited about maybe a t shirt and of course a watch to show you were a true disney fan. Now its all high end jewlery and designer clothes. So yes imho Disney is loving the new demographic.

Stevek

I have to say his plan is working. The parks are enjoyable again. I’ve been 3 time in the last month and half and the crowds are less and yet they are making money. More importantly even my partner says he’ll go back because the crowds are being controlled.
WDW right?...because I can tell you my last 3 visits in August and September to Disneyland were anything but uncrowded. We have no offseason which is exactly what is happening in Orlando right now. Don't worry, it will get worse closer to November.

GSP Guy

Reading along here and I can't help but wonder if Disney would be so bold to use all the data they accumulate in order to decide which and/or whose APs to renew based on their habits? Especially spending habit! Thoughts?

Goofyernmost

They already did that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom