Chapek's comments - he doesn't want anyone on this board at WDW any more

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The current goodwill value of the company is only $15 per share (that's how much the stock price is above the total valuation of the tangible assets- liabilities)

Goofyernmost

The canary in the coal mine for me was runaway railway. No real reason to put it there UNLESS it was because you wanted rid of the movie ride. Would have made more sense to put it in dead animation courtyard.
Sorry to say I think that is incorrect. As much as many of us liked it through the years it went from lines running to the outside to walk on and only one train running most of its last years. It was on life support until it died. It was originally supposed to highlight the genre's that made Hollywood the film capital of the world originally. No one could seem to understand that and were all verklempt about why there were no real resent movies in it The old show was worn out. The faces were melting off the animatronics and interest was gone. It was time to replace it since its reason for existing no longer was there. That was made clear years ago when that BAH was unceremoniously built in front of it. Something new needed to replace it and what they found was a good thing. For all those that hated outside IP's I ask, how many of the highlighted movies were Disney creations? Even the highly publicized final show couldn't get a full train. It had run it's life span and beyond. As with Horizons, there was a contingent of fans that loved the ride, I was one, but also like Horizons, it had lost its appeal.

Goofyernmost

Think he may have given us the 1st example of this as an addition but i agree. WoL still
Empty a disgrace. GMR replaced Not refurbed a disgrace especially when you had the space and needed the capacity

There is another way to increase noticeable capacity and that is by using existing buildings to put attractions that a lot of people want to see instead of running a cobweb attraction next to a busy one. All you do in that case is add to the cost.

The Colonel

Reading along here and I can't help but wonder if Disney would be so bold to use all the data they accumulate in order to decide which and/or whose APs to renew based on their habits? Especially spending habit! Thoughts?

I gave up my AP during the pandemic. Then when I heard they were opening up again, I called to get it back. There was a decision making process they went through and a number of call backs before they decided to reinstate me. I assumed they were looking at the trips I had booked and how many trips I had booked in the past. But maybe you're right. Maybe they looked at my spend per day?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Their focus is on making the experience better. They know in some way they need to start reducing the number of guests in the parks to do that. Shorter lines, less congestion, easier access to experiences.

One really easy way for them to do that? Hard ticket events, aka. "After Hours" stuff. Keeps the regular day guests coming, plus any "crowding problem" then entices many to "pay to have shorter lines for many popular rides and attractions!".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry to say I think that is incorrect. As much as many of us liked it through the years it went from lines running to the outside to walk on and only one train running most of its last years. It was on life support until it died. It was originally supposed to highlight the genre's that made Hollywood the film capital of the world originally. No one could seem to understand that and were all verklempt about why there were no real resent movies in it The old show was worn out. The faces were melting off the animatronics and interest was gone. It was time to replace it since its reason for existing no longer was there. That was made clear years ago when that BAH was unceremoniously built in front of it. Something new needed to replace it and what they found was a good thing. For all those that hated outside IP's I ask, how many of the highlighted movies were Disney creations? Even the highly publicized final show couldn't get a full train. It had run it's life span and beyond. As with Horizons, there was a contingent of fans that loved the ride, I was one, but also like Horizons, it had lost its appeal.
Oh I don’t disagree with the diminished appeal…

But they never updated it. I am saying that would have been the way to go or another completely new movie type ride…not Mickey.

el_super

One really easy way for them to do that? Hard ticket events, aka. "After Hours" stuff. Keeps the regular day guests coming, plus any "crowding problem" then entices many to "pay to have shorter lines for many popular rides and attractions!".

The hard ticket events have been great... the only problem is they keep selling out.

They need to figure out a way to have them every night.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The hard ticket events have been great... the only problem is they keep selling out.

They need to figure out a way to have them every night.

They could, as long as the overhead is low enough. Throw in free popcorn and water and a Mickey Ice Cream Bar as an enticement for their $150/person (or higher, depending on the date) expenditure.. Personally, I wouldn't touch an event like that with a 10-meter cattle prod, but current park consumers would eat it up. Offer a $10 discount to locals to try and entice them, but I doubt many would bite - The taste left in their mouth with the current AP situation is an unpleasant one. But they can always fall back on, "But we offered you a discount!" as an excuse if it failed.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Block pricing…that was always a goal…it will become more frequent

And they'll keep the ticket floor sufficiently low so they can market tickets "as low as $114/person! (during the first 2 weeks of September)" while raising the prices throughout the rest of the year by $10 or more.

It's like we've seen this song and dance a few times.

Disstevefan1

I have to say his plan is working. The parks are enjoyable again. I’ve been 3 time in the last month and half and the crowds are less and yet they are making money. More importantly even my partner says he’ll go back because the crowds are being controlled.
Well, Bobby is continuing to get rid of the unfavorables so maybe Bobby is right after all.

I think the real test will be the upcoming holiday season.

Wait - 3 time in the last month - Be careful you are borderline unfavorable.

HM Spectre

How long from now do you see this happening.... if ever?
I think the Fed is going to hike us into a deep recession by the end of 2023 to try and get inflation under control. When you have stagflation, that's an environment to get people to reconsider their discretionary purchases if I've ever seen one.

If that happens, Chapek's current plans could fail in a big way.

Disstevefan1

Sad, but not surprising. Like all large corporate value engineers, Chapek is betting on the brand.

He thinks the brand is so strong that it will sell tickets despite massive price increases. He thinks the brand is strong enough that reduced quality and service won't stop people from coming. And he's trying to push the envelope as far as he can. Honestly, he probably thinks you could slap the Disney brand on a Six Flags park and still have people foaming at the mouth to get in.

So far, he's unfortunately been proven right... but it takes a lot of guts (or stupidity) to do this into a coming recession. Right now, Disney is living off the brand while being transformed into a terrible value proposition. If people are ever forced to consider the value in what they're getting from a Disney vacation vs. an alternative, Chapek is in big trouble. It's barely affordable as-is for regular folks and it's only going to get worse.

Regardless, it's a terrible situation for anyone who loves the parks. Until people vote with their wallets and stop paying regardless of what Chapek puts in front of them, we're going to keep getting less while being charged more until the experience is just a shell of what it was (if it's not there already).
Folks who have money do not feel the recession. and there are plenty of them that will still visit WDW, plenty enough to MOB the parks.
That said, it will be interesting to see what happens the holiday season at WDW.
I will be watching from the sidelines.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do you? I asked if you believe they were leading not if you liked the direction its going…
You're just trolling at this point. I made my statement. To ask 'do you believe it' is just argumentative. Disney is trying to do things based on what their leadership believes is the correct path. Considering there is no peer for what they are doing with Splash.. I think your question answers itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom