News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

brb1006

Looking at the reviews for the new Skydance Animation film Luck. Yikes...It's clear that the studio desperately wants to recapture the magic of classic Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, almost in an attempt to spite Disney for forcing Lasseter out of the company.

I am reminded somewhat of the early days of DreamWorks when the studio was making films that were Disney movies in all but branding. You know, before they made Shrek. Prince of Egypt was actually a solid movie, though. The reviews for Luck on the other hand...indicate otherwise.

I don't believe in punishing the many talented directors and animators at Skydance Animation because of John Lasseter's actions, but this is a concerning precedent for the studio's future prospects. Whatever you think of Shrek and its impact on animated films afterward, at least it gave DreamWorks an identity that was distinct from being just Disney-lite or copying Pixar.

I just don't know what Skydance's identity is. How do they distinguish themselves from being just an imitation brand Pixar?

Let's just hope that Chapek gives the folks at Pixar the creative room to refind their footing as a studio. They've made some good efforts so far with director-driven ideas like Turning Red, Soul, and Luca. Lightyear was a bit of a misstep, but they can always try again next time with Elemental.

For those curious, the movie drops around 8 or 9pm EST (similar to other Apple+ and Amazon shows and movies).

brb1006

I agree. I don't know much about Skydance Animation Studios, but I may I have feeling that with John Lasseter working there, I'm afraid the Skydance studios will be in the decline, because of that bully, John Lasseter. I also hope that the next Pixar movie Elemental will be more successful than Lightyear.
Should we tell him about John K? Because I heard a lot (and when I say "A lot" I'm meaning it) of horror stories going on behind the production of Ren and Stimpy involving John K and the team behind the show before getting fired. Then there's his official blog.

Last edited:

brb1006

Looking at the reviews for the new Skydance Animation film Luck. Yikes...It's clear that the studio desperately wants to recapture the magic of classic Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, almost in an attempt to spite Disney for forcing Lasseter out of the company.

I am reminded somewhat of the early days of DreamWorks when the studio was making films that were Disney movies in all but branding. You know, before they made Shrek. Prince of Egypt was actually a solid movie, though. The reviews for Luck on the other hand...indicate otherwise.

I don't believe in punishing the many talented directors and animators at Skydance Animation because of John Lasseter's actions, but this is a concerning precedent for the studio's future prospects. Whatever you think of Shrek and its impact on animated films afterward, at least it gave DreamWorks an identity that was distinct from being just Disney-lite or copying Pixar.

I just don't know what Skydance's identity is. How do they distinguish themselves from being just an imitation brand Pixar?

Let's just hope that Chapek gives the folks at Pixar the creative room to refind their footing as a studio. They've made some good efforts so far with director-driven ideas like Turning Red, Soul, and Luca. Lightyear was a bit of a misstep, but they can always try again next time with Elemental.

I remember seeing Skydance Animation's first animated project called "Blush" a month or two ago after getting Apple+. If I remember correctly, it was an allegory on coping with the loss of a wife who died of breast cancer. Wanted to bring this up since one of the two rocket ships from that short will be the official logo for Skydance Animation. Similar to The Lamps from Luxo. Jr at Pixar.

TsWade2

Ok…got some repressed Lassiter angst going there?
I'm not making an angst, I'm just being honest!
Should we tell him about John K? Because I heard a lot (and when I say "A lot" I'm meaning it) of horror stories going on behind the production of Ren and Stimpy involving John K and the team behind the show before getting fired. Then there's his official blog.
Ugh! John K is even worse. He's a bad cartoonist, his cartoon Ren and Stimpy is gross and atrocious, and yes I've heard about John K. I think both K and Lasseter should get along.🙄

Sir_Cliff

What is Skydance's identity? Are they an off-brand Disney/Pixar? Because successful studios forge identities for themselves. DreamWorks has an identity, Blue Sky had an identity, and even Illumination has an identity. Perhaps Ray Gunn will give them something to point towards.
I haven't really been following them too closely, but at least the initial vibe is very is very similar to when Katzenberg went off to DreamWorks and tried to recreate his success at Disney by making similar types of films. As you say, I think they'll need to find something more compelling than being 'the new Pixar' as 'the old Pixar' seems to be doing fine as it is in filling the Pixar niche.

Apple TV so far has been quite a surprise for me. Ted Lasso and films like Coda have shown that they might have found a promising venue in the streaming wars. Let's see if their partnership with Skydance will ultimately yield similar results.
Even as someone who uses a lot of Apple products and hearing good things about stuff like Ted Lasso, I've always found Apple TV one of the less compelling streaming services. Thinking about it, this may suggest Disney made the right move in investing big and early on new content for Disney+ as it has come right out of the gate with a lot to offer. I think it will be hard for AppleTV to ever overcome the sense that it has a relatively slim library in a crowded marketplace and seems more like a boutique offering compared to the almost essential services such as Netflix and Disney+.

lazyboy97o

I think it will be hard for AppleTV to ever overcome the sense that it has a relatively slim library in a crowded marketplace and seems more like a boutique offering compared to the almost essential services such as Netflix and Disney+.
Apple as of now has said they want to be a more boutique offering and made a deliberate decision to not go on a Netflix-style production spree. I can't imagine many people have dedicated Apple TV+ plus subscriptions, with it being something a lot of people get for free or bundled with Apple One.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Personally, I think Apple is looking at some of these more vulnerable streaming services, WB Discovery, Paramount, and so on very intently...methinks an acquisition may be afoot.

I applaud their focus on smaller but high-quality shows and films. Ted Lasso and Coda were great!
If Apple was looking for content and studios, it'd be in the current hunt for Starz/Liongate, which is actively trying to find someone to buy them out... And Apple ain't one of the suitors.

brb1006

Yeah...the stories about John K. are harrowing, to say the least. It was a pain in the butt just to be in the same industry as him. Look at what he anonymously wrote about Animaniacs, a show he'd never even seen. Or when he gave backhanded compliments to shows like The Simpsons, stating that it was good despite its writing.

The dude might know a lot about animation and its techniques, but he also was self-destructive with a capital S. Ren and Stimpy was influential in ending the era of cartoons that were just cheaply produced, glorified toy commercials, and John K. was instrumental in getting that accomplishment, but you know what? So were people like Chris Reccardi, Bob Camp, Lynne Naylor, Vanessa Coffey, Billy West, and others at Spumco, let alone the artists at other shows like Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, Beavis and Butthead, Animaniacs, Batman: The Animated Series, and Dexter's Laboratory.
Even Ralph Bakshi (John K's mentor) knew that his ego would get the best of him. Once saying that "He got lucky" when Ren and Stimpy became a success compared to John's other attempts at animation... which barely went anywhere.

brb1006

I'm not making an angst, I'm just being honest!

Ugh! John K is even worse. He's a bad cartoonist, his cartoon Ren and Stimpy is gross and atrocious, and yes I've heard about John K. I think both K and Lasseter should get along.🙄
Knowing John K's hatred for Disney, Pixar, and preference of old school animation (especially from The Fleischers) over CGI. I don't see that ever happening. Heck, Ralph Bakshi used to be John K's mentor who wasn't fond of Disney.

lazyboy97o

Personally, I think Apple is looking at some of these more vulnerable streaming services, WB Discovery, Paramount, and so on very intently...methinks an acquisition may be afoot.

I applaud their focus on smaller but high-quality shows and films. Ted Lasso and Coda were great!
People have been saying this for years and it still hasn’t happened. The opportunities have been there and they have done nothing. The closest is Iger’s fantasy that he was going to merge Disney with Apple.

WizardofDestiny123

Even Ralph Bakshi (John K's mentor) knew that his ego would get the best of him. Once saying that "He got lucky" when Ren and Stimpy became a success compared to John's other attempts at animation... which barely went anywhere.
I think Bakshi was also critical of John K's ineptitude at keeping to deadlines while on Ren and Stimpy, as well as on Mighty Mouse.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Apple seems content to mostly arrange 2 to 5 year deals with independent studios for them to create content, the most notable being A24. They don't seem to be in an Iger mood and start buying those studios outright.

Apple seems to realize that maybe a deep library would help, but hasn't done much to make that happen. See...

WizardofDestiny123

Apple seems content to mostly arrange 2 to 5 year deals with independent studios for them to create content, the most notable being A24. They don't seem to be in an Iger mood and start buying those studios outright.

Apple seems to realize that maybe a deep library would help, but hasn't done much to make that happen. See...

It also doesn't hurt that they're one of the biggest companies in the world.

TsWade2

Knowing John K's hatred for Disney, Pixar, and preference of old school animation (especially from The Fleischers) over CGI. I don't see that ever happening. Heck, Ralph Bakshi used to be John K's mentor who wasn't fond of Disney.
When I say John K. and John Lasseter should get along, I meant that in sarcasm. Of course John K. hates Disney. What else is new?

fgmnt

I'm thinking Apple might be in the market for a studio in the near future...WBDiscovery? Sony Pictures? Hell, even Paramount might not be a poor idea.
I've speculated before that there some version of reality that we might have branched off from, or may still yet exist where Apple and the Walt Disney Company are the same entity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom