News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
He screwed up Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story, he ended Fastpass, he fired 28,000 employees, he is the most accountable.
If those 28k employees all signed the petition it'd have well over 50 thousand signatures further elevating the petition to a level that would at minimum garner a few social media posts and news cycles. Still not enough to rid us of the Bobs though.

ImperfectPixie

If your protest isn't getting the notice of Disney's Board members, you're wasting your time.
The list of the BoD is scrollable...you won't see it all unless you scroll to the end of that small section.

Disone

15 million people could sign a petition like that and it wouldn't matter.

Disney would have to actually see a decrease in attendance, decline in revenue, etc. for it to make any difference in Chapek's employment as CEO.
This is not exactly true. There was no decrease in attendance or decline in Revenue involved in Michael Eisner's Fall From Grace.

Right now there is a major decrease in attendance and a major decline in Revenue that absolutely can be blamed on the pandemic but none the less leaves the current CEO vunerable.

UNCgolf

This is not exactly true. There was no decrease in attendance or decline in Revenue involved in Michael Eisner's Fall From Grace.

Right now there is a major decrease in attendance and a major decline in Revenue that absolutely can be blamed on the pandemic but none the less leaves the current CEO vunerable.

The Eisner situation involved a revolt from a Disney family member who served on the BoD. There's no one like that on the current Disney board.

Also, there were serious declines in parts of Disney's business, like the animation department -- it was not making nearly as much money as it made in the 1990s. I think there was an attendance decrease at the parks too, although that was mainly due to 9/11.

Eisner would not have been pushed out if everything at Disney was churning along smoothly.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Meanwhile, what may get the Boards attention is unhappy shareholders. The stock price is well off its all-time high of $203 and change, and the dividend still hasn't been reinstated. Add that with some negative growth news about Disney+, and maybe some attention of unhappy park goers...well then you have quite a bit going on.
Disney's stock only looks 'bad' when you compare it to that high. But that high was an anomaly that came from investors dumping money into Disney shares when it looked like Disney's survival of the pandemic was a sure thing and not a danger of major loss (as was the case with other businesses). Since then, that high has come down right to where the Dow average is for all Dow stocks. In that context, it's doing just fine. But compare it to a one-time blip of a high, and you can paint it as it being horrible. And for day-traders, it is. But for people who hold onto stock as a long term investment, Disney is a blue chip.

The same deal with its D+ subs. Disney shot thru it's five year goal in the first year of existence. They finally revised their 2024 goal to be much higher at 230-260M subs. But with Chapek recently saying that the current growth has a slight slow down of only a single digit percentage increase instead of a double digit, that caused *one* analyst to downgrade their Dis Stock recommendation because in his calculation, Disney+ won't hit the 256M subs he was predicting but *only* 236M subs. -- which is still in Disney's own predictive goal. But, because it's less than what he was expecting, then all of a sudden, he writes about the tragedy of Disney stock. And yet, in the end, says it could still turn out at the high end of the goal. :rolleyes:

Click-bait be click-bait. Analysts have the churn out articles for their clients/readers.

History of D+ growth:

The panicked 'analyst':

A rosier analyst...

Lilofan

The Eisner situation involved a revolt from a Disney family member who served on the BoD. There's no one like that on the current Disney board.

Also, there were serious declines in parts of Disney's business, like the animation department -- it was not making nearly as much money as it made in the 1990s. I think there was an attendance decrease at the parks too, although that was mainly due to 9/11.

Eisner would not have been pushed out if everything at Disney was churning along smoothly.
I remember the immediate post 9/11 decrease in offerings too like when we visited DHS. Fantastic was only offered a few nights a week, shorter park hours during peak season , Prime Time open even days, Hollywood and Vine open odd days, etc. A few years after 9/11 attendance seemed to increase like parks opened until late night I mean really late night like DHS closing NYE at 3am, 12/25-31 MK extra magic hours 1am-4am and 3 hours later MK opened at 7am.

fgmnt

I remember the immediate post 9/11 decrease in offerings too like when we visited DHS. Fantastic was only offered a few nights a week, shorter park hours during peak season , Prime Time open even days, Hollywood and Vine open odd days, etc. A few years after 9/11 attendance seemed to increase like parks opened until late night I mean really late night like DHS closing NYE at 3am, 12/25-31 MK extra magic hours 1am-4am and 3 hours later MK opened at 7am.
I wish I could find the records of what our family paid for our summer 2002 trip. I think it was 5+ nights at the Polynesian, concierge level, I *think* we had E-Ride Nights at Magic Kingdom... they were giving away vacation packages. If I looked up the modern cost it would probably make me pass out.

I also remember the absurdly late summer closings at MK in the mid 2000s. It will absolutely never happen again.

Lilofan

I wish I could find the records of what our family paid for our summer 2002 trip. I think it was 5+ nights at the Polynesian, concierge level, I *think* we had E-Ride Nights at Magic Kingdom... they were giving away vacation packages. If I looked up the modern cost it would probably make me pass out.

I also remember the absurdly late summer closings at MK in the mid 2000s. It will absolutely never happen again.
Eisner and Iger knew these were money makers. I met a fellow guest at DHS at 8am on NYE back in the day when the park had multiple live bands including Cheap Trick performing at the Osborne Family lights at NY Street that night. The family said they would be there for the long haul staying until park closing time of 3am.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Eisner and Iger knew these were money makers. I met a fellow guest at DHS at 8am on NYE back in the day when the park had multiple live bands including Cheap Trick performing at the Osborne Family lights at NY Street that night. The family said they would be there for the long haul staying until park closing time of 3am.
Huh?

big jump from the post you quoted to this…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The stock market was completely different then. Companies where rewarded for - you know - making money?…which is not what Disney has done these last 2 years. Look at the “results”

Roy E Disney is the second most important figure in the history of Disney…I’d argue Eisner was third and his dad was 4…

iger is second tier…did mostly easy stuff. Rode espn like a tired donkey and bought stuff…raised prices in parks with little tangible additions.

chapek is somewhere on the list below pressler and the CPs currently working the liberty square popcorn cart.

Because that was a recession…which started in Orlando in early 2001…so was 09-12 for those references as well.

can’t really correlate for the last 10 years and the economics of the plague period are still not entirely determined

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom