News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

MarvelCharacterNerd

For the record I want to note that The Disney Co. was founded October 16th, 1923, which translates to the "Magical" 100-year-old milestone being reached 2023. B.C. has mentioned the companies next 100 hears in comments, but I do not hear nor see any movement to have a major celebration / party etc. Disney has had a history of celebrating the achievement of such milestones, has the meh WDW 50th taken the enthusiasm for such celebrations away? Has the Emperor (sorry) I mean B.C. and his cronies taken the company to a really dark place?
The D23 Expo this year is themed to the kickoff of the company's 100th anniversary. They haven't forgotten it.

MrPromey

It's a shame that everyone is so upset by Disney being political that no one is going to see Thor Love and Thunder this weekend. However will the company survive?

Dummy me - I went (just like Lightyear) and I wish I'd waited for it on Disney+, now.* 🙄

I say this as a member of Regal's Movies Unlimited.

At least I went alone this time so I didn't have to pay for my son's ticket, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

*I liked Ragnarok and with the same team, I expected this to be as good or better - it was neither.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
'Thor: Love and Thunder' ($143 million) has surpassed the total box office for 'Lightyear' ($112 million) in its opening weekend.

Maybe Disney needs to stop doing all these "backstory" movies and live-action remakes and focus instead on creating new stories? Just a thought. (I know this is the 4th Thor movie, and it's still bankable, but eventually that train is going to run out of steam.)

mikejs78

Premium Member
'Thor: Love and Thunder' ($143 million) has surpassed the total box office for 'Lightyear' ($112 million) in its opening weekend.

Maybe Disney needs to stop doing all these "backstory" movies and live-action remakes and focus instead on creating new stories? Just a thought. (I know this is the 4th Thor movie, and it's still bankable, but eventually that train is going to run out of steam.)

I mean, from an MCU standpoint, they did Shang-Chi, Eternals, and Spider-Man last year. Two of three were new characters/movies.

This year is more focused on sequels, but Dr. Strange/Black Panther are only the second iteration and Spider-Man is just bankable. And after another string of sequels next year, we'll have Blade, X-Men, and Fantastic 4, which are all new characters to the MCU. Not to mention the Disney+ series where this year so far we have Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, and later She-hulk.

Agree on the Disney live action movies - we need more original content there and better films.

But for Pixar, Lightyear was the first sequel of any kind in several years - Disney had just decided to release Pixar movies on Disney+ rather than in theaters. But since Toy Story 4 in June of 2019 (3 years ago), Pixar has created four films - Onward, Soul, Luca, and Turning Red, before adding another sequel, Lightyear.

Disney Animation's last sequel was Frozen II, also in 2019, and has since released Raya and the Last Dragon and Encanto, with its next film slated to be Strange Worlds.

So I don't think Disney is only doing backstory/sequel/remake films, other than in Disney live action.

el_super

DIS currently: $90.33/share.

Whatever Bob is doing, it's working. Right?

There was a significant downgrade on Friday by Citi Bank that moved Six Flags from BUY to Neutral, with their analyst predicting a slowdown in the theme park market coming soon. I will say that, to some degree this makes sense, as travel bookings are usually a lagging indicator. People visiting parks today, initially planned and/or paid for their trips months ago, when inflation wasn't as much of a concern.

We will have to wait and see if that translates into actual negative results for Disney though. If a storm is coming though, Chapek would be wise to cut spending on the theme park business right now.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There was a significant downgrade on Friday by Citi Bank that moved Six Flags from BUY to Neutral, with their analyst predicting a slowdown in the theme park market coming soon. I will say that, to some degree this makes sense, as travel bookings are usually a lagging indicator. People visiting parks today, initially planned and/or paid for their trips months ago, when inflation wasn't as much of a concern.

We will have to wait and see if that translates into actual negative results for Disney though. If a storm is coming though, Chapek would be wise to cut spending on the theme park business right now.

Is there spending he could actually cut, though? Tron and Moana are pretty much the only projects going on. I guess there's always TBA...

el_super

Is there spending he could actually cut, though? Tron and Moana are pretty much the only projects going on. I guess there's always TBA...

Of course there are always things to cut. They are spending 4+ billion per quarter on their parks and resorts.

Common wisdom would be, that if the economy is going to impact bookings for the short term, that you make that up by cutting back operations to scale with the decrease. Cut theme park hours, cut operating hotels, cut entertainment and extra guest service options. The same kind of cuts we've seen before.

Smiley/OCD

He could’ve saved demolishing costs and just left the ToT billboard sign up…just turn it off so it doesn’t work ( like so many other things) he is under the impression that no one notices…

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
He could’ve saved demolishing costs and just left the ToT billboard sign up…just turn it off so it doesn’t work ( like so many other things) he is under the impression that no one notices…
Has it been up since 1994? Maybe it has just reached its life expectancy and that is that. Was it really designed to last this long?

Smiley/OCD

Of course there are always things to cut. They are spending 4+ billion per quarter on their parks and resorts.

Common wisdom would be, that if the economy is going to impact bookings for the short term, that you make that up by cutting back operations to scale with the decrease. Cut theme park hours, cut operating hotels, cut entertainment and extra guest service options. The same kind of cuts we've seen before.
Yup, he can start laying off all the CM’s he just hired…and it just keeps going around like a dog chasing its tail…what’s that Disney song, “Circle of Life”?

Smiley/OCD

Has it been up since 1994? Maybe it has just reached its life expectancy and that is that. Was it really designed to last this long?
If it wasn’t in danger of collapse, why not just leave it up?
They could’ve used the money for some trash bags, a few gallons of paint and some lightbulbs…

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Yeah, I was really hoping they could avoid that this time, given their current staffing and operating positions. The only thing they won't cut is the price, on anything. I'll be shocked if they even offer discounts, like Buy-6-Get-1 on tickets (because we know they'll do the absolute minimum for tickets). "Unprecedented demand!" - Bob C

el_super

Disney entered Quarter 4 at the start of July, so I'm sure there is some pressure on different units to spend money before they lose it. Maybe they had planned to remove and replace, but have the money to remove it now?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If it wasn’t in danger of collapse, why not just leave it up?
They could’ve used the money for some trash bags, a few gallons of paint and some lightbulbs…
Just saying that in many cases structures are designed to have a finite shelf life. I don’t know if this came into play or not when they decided to tear down this billboard. Only throwing it out as a question. Either way, it made it almost 30 years. That’s a good run.

drizgirl

Just saying that in many cases structures are designed to have a finite shelf life. I don’t know if this came into play or not when they decided to tear down this billboard. Only throwing it out as a question. Either way, it made it almost 30 years. That’s a good run.
Then how about replacing it with something more up to date rather than just remove it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom