News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

mikejs78

Premium Member
I wasn't referring to the film's quality. It's a gorgeous-looking film. (I'm not a fan of the soundtrack - I think Miranda did a better job with Moana). But it was a box-office flop, in that it didn't make any money. Its production budget was reportedly $150 million, (and that doesn't count advertising costs, which could easily have added several millions more). A movie has to make twice its overall budget just to break even, and Encanto didn't manage that. Here's an article that explains things further:

The movie had an anemic opening and nosedived from there. Now, I'm not denying the huge popularity of some of the songs, especially "Bruno". But the movie was a financial disappointment, FWIW.

Yeah but that was when parents still weren't taking kids to theaters because of COVID.

GimpYancIent

But TS4 made over a billion worldwide. Cynical cash grabs haven’t done bad in the past. whats different now?
The viewing public has finally come to see and understand what is going on and are becoming choosier. What to see, when to see it and where plus through what medium. D+ has had an impact.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I wasn't referring to the film's quality. It's a gorgeous-looking film. (I'm not a fan of the soundtrack - I think Miranda did a better job with Moana). But it was a box-office flop, in that it didn't make any money. Its production budget was reportedly $150 million, (and that doesn't count advertising costs, which could easily have added several millions more). A movie has to make twice its overall budget just to break even, and Encanto didn't manage that. Here's an article that explains things further:

The movie had an anemic opening and nosedived from there. Now, I'm not denying the huge popularity of some of the songs, especially "Bruno". But the movie was a financial disappointment, FWIW.
Box office numbers don’t mean much anymore for family films.... unless the marketing is suuuuuper blown up (like minions)

How much profit has Disney made in Encanto merchandise, music downloads, and social media presence? If it’s a flop, why is the treehouse in Disneyland being bothered to be tethered to Encanto? If it’s a flop, why is it one of the most played movies on Disney+?

Times have changed. Box office numbers will matter for films like Jurassic World or Avatar. Not so much for cartoons and family films anymore. (Sadly)

MagicHappens1971

I hope that Chapek is able to find common ground with the people at Disney Animation, Pixar, and Marvel.

Not super optimistic, though. Don't be surprised if David Zaslov is looking at Docter and Feige's contract renewals very carefully. He could use some new heads for WB animation and DC Films...
I wouldn't imagine Feige is going anywhere anytime soon

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No more trackless dark rides, please. The ones we've gotten recently that aren't Rise of the Resistance are lousy.
Ima gonna check with you in about 3 years on that….
I wouldnt consider MMRR or Rat to be lousy but to each their own
Not “lousy”…short, low capacity and with a shelf life…all valid concerns

Touchdown

It really depends on the trajectory of marvel and what other offers he might entertain??

Is marvel losing steam…maybe a bit? I think that’s a valid concern.
I wouldn’t argue marvel is losing steam but simply taking a step back to set up the next big crossover. After Endgame it was time to start a brand new saga, and in order for the ending to be as big you need to first set up the stories (not to mention introduce new heroes to replace retiring ones.) With all this talk of multiverses, the fact Fantastic 4 is happening soon (which will almost certainly introduce Dr Doom) it seems like the next big arc is going to be Secret Wars 2015 which is going to be huge. The ending will have heroes and villains fighting alternate versions of themselves during a massive incursion (introduced in the Dr Strange this year) for survival. Of course, it may just be another group of heroes instead, who knows but it will be something like that. Of course I expect Feige to not tip his hand until the end credits of the next Avengers movie or equivalent.

I assume this is also how we will get the X-men introduced into the MCU proper and why Kevin Feige has said it will be awhile before that happens.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldn’t argue marvel is losing steam but simply taking a step back to set up the next big crossover. After Endgame it was time to start a brand new saga, and in order for the ending to be as big you need to first set up the stories (not to mention introduce new heroes to replace retiring ones.) With all this talk of multiverses, the fact Fantastic 4 is happening soon (which will almost certainly introduce Dr Doom) it seems like the next big arc is going to be Secret Wars 2015 which is going to be huge. The ending will have heroes and villains fighting alternate versions of themselves during a massive incursion (introduced in the Dr Strange this year) for survival. Of course, it may just be another group of heroes instead, who knows but it will be something like that. Of course I expect Feige to not tip his hand until the end credits of the next Avengers movie or equivalent.

I assume this is also how we will get the X-men introduced into the MCU proper and why Kevin Feige has said it will be awhile before that happens.
It’s still the biggest current franchise in Hollywood…

But it’s not reasonable that a comic book genre can’t sustain “growth” as it deviates farther from the main stream of pop culture and more into the fringes that comic books generate from

Last edited:

Aurorafan

That's because it was going on D+ a month after release. Who wants to pay in the theater to get it for free in a month

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We'll see how the accounting's going come August 10...

jpinkc

We'll see how the accounting's going come August 10...

From what it looks like from the outside, unfortunately he isnt going anywhere. The parks look absolutely jammed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom