News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A CEO that pushes margins to boost profits. Isn't that what he or she is hired to do? and if they do they will be rewarded in regards to their performance in theIr employment contract the board created.
For companies that don’t ultimately sell frivolity and emotional attachments?…absolutely 100%

lazyboy97o

Compared to Chapek Iger was a saint.

He didn’t build enough but he still left every park better than he started with, Chapek has made every park worse since he took over, I can overlook most of it due to the pandemic but the nickel and diming and eliminating everything he can is unforgivable.
They’re not better. They’re still greatly deficient in capacity. Project delivery costs have exploded. Themes are all weaker. Lousy design on a huge scale that cannot be easily improved now Mara many parks.

Iger was no saint but he was competent, at least.

Except in his succession planning.
He was competent in image making. People just believe what he wants and ignore what he wants.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Apart from "emotional intelligence" - what evidence is there, if any, that Disney would be run differently now if Iger were still in charge? Other than Iger likely being able to handle the Florida bill issue better, I just don't see any evidence the company would be run any differently.
Sadly, I think he would have done better coming out of plague…it’s been a disaster.

But don’t believe me…guess what cost an actual $100.00 less today than it did in January 2021?

Magenta Panther

pCompared to Chapek Iger was a saint.

He didn’t build enough but he still left every park better than he started with, Chapek has made every park worse since he took over, I can overlook most of it due to the pandemic but the nickel and diming and eliminating everything he can is unforgivable.
Iger's idea of improving the parks was to purchase the properties or rights to non-Disney created/adapted IPs like Avatar, Star Wars and Marvel, and then shoving them into the parks whether they fit in or not (mostly not). He built the dippy Pandora attraction with the idea that it would be a "Potter Swatter", at which it hilariously failed. (A much better choice would have been a Pride Lands or Jungle Book attraction, but they weren't HIS acquisitions, so doing so wouldn't feed his big fat ego enough). He built a Star Wars land based on the horrible new films in which most of the original, good characters (which he had nothing to do with - sense a pattern here?) got killed off in degrading, heartbreaking ways to try to force audiences to embrace the lame new characters (I'm looking at you, MaRey Sue). Meanwhile, a new, actual Disney creation, and worldwide box-office phenomenon, "Frozen", got shoehorned into a dinky ride in World Showcase's Norway pavilion (Iger cares more about acquisition than creation, since he hasn't the mental capacity to discern the difference). But "Frozen" at least got an attraction of sorts - "Tangled" only got a BATHROOM. Iger did all this while cutting back on park upkeep, which has resulted in, among other things, peeling paint, overflowing trash cans and the Yeti AA in Everest still broken.

Iger was a POX on the theme parks. Chapek is his Mini-Me. They can both go to hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nubs70

Iger handed Chapek a live hand grenade called Covid Response and ran into the bunker before stock price tanked.

Iger is a coward and Chapek sucks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Iger's idea of improving the parks was to purchase the properties or rights to non-Disney created/adapted IPs like Avatar, Star Wars and Marvel, and then shoving them into the parks whether they fit in or not (mostly not). He built the dippy Pandora attraction with the idea that it would be a "Potter Swatter", at which it hilariously failed. (A much better choice would have been a Pride Lands or Jungle Book attraction, but they weren't HIS acquisitions, so doing so wouldn't feed his big fat ego enough). He built a Star Wars land based on the horrible new films in which most of the original, good characters (which he had nothing to do with - sense a pattern here?) got killed off in degrading, heartbreaking ways to try to force audiences to embrace the lame new characters (I'm looking at you, MaRey Sue). Meanwhile, a new, actual Disney creation, and worldwide box-office phenomenon, "Frozen", got shoehorned into a dinky ride in World Showcase's Norway pavilion (Iger cares more about acquisition than creation, since he hasn't the mental capacity to discern the difference). But "Frozen" at least got an attraction of sorts - "Tangled" only got a BATHROOM. Iger did all this while cutting back on park upkeep, which has resulted in, among other things, peeling paint, overflowing trash cans and the Yeti AA in Everest still broken.

Iger was a POX on the theme parks. Chapek is his Mini-Me. They can both go to hell.
You mad, bro?
Iger handed Chapek a live hand grenade called Covid Response and ran into the bunker before stock price tanked.

Iger is a coward and Chapek sucks.
Bingo

fgmnt

It's clear to me that Zenia earned every penny of her salary

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That Iger article is really fantastic…it’s one of the most detailed, straight to the bone entertainment business pieces I can remember.

Somebody very high up in that world proofed/steered that.

fgmnt

I guess that article can allow you to read whatever you want. If your perception of Bob Iger before now was that his tenure at the company was a net positive, your perception probably has not changed. Poor guy! It's so hard to find someone to do his very important job!

If you follow Disney as a corporate entity (something far more interesting than their current creative product) and aren't a lifestyle sycophant or senseless Wall Street sicko, I don't know how you can reach that conclusion. Iger is the perpetrator of the institutional rot that has hollowed out the company. He is the empty suit. He is the egomaniac. Chapek is just the manifestation of this rot in human form. He is a product of the environment Iger created. I am not crying over some feckless and soulless dork being treated poorly by his predecessor in the press. He can flame out in this job and make more money than the salaries of an entire major school system. But it's pathetic to see Iger('s lackeys) keep drumming this into the news cycle.

Tha Realest

That Iger article is really fantastic…it’s one of the most detailed, straight to the bone entertainment business pieces I can remember.

Somebody very high up in that world proofed/steered that.
Iger’s cultivated decades of relationships in the media, and he’s been dropping this stuff periodically. He once had aspirations of being a president, a senator, or at the very least a cabinet member or ambassador. Instead, he’s a billionaire trying to sell NFTs to remain relevant. He likely desperately misses the spotlight and is struggling with his dwindling relevancy and legacy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess that article can allow you to read whatever you want. If your perception of Bob Iger before now was that his tenure at the company was a net positive, your perception probably has not changed. Poor guy! It's so hard to find someone to do his very important job!

If you follow Disney as a corporate entity (something far more interesting than their current creative product) and aren't a lifestyle sycophant or senseless Wall Street sicko, I don't know how you can reach that conclusion. Iger is the perpetrator of the institutional rot that has hollowed out the company. He is the empty suit. He is the egomaniac. Chapek is just the manifestation of this rot in human form. He is a product of the environment Iger created. I am not crying over some feckless and soulless dork being treated poorly by his predecessor in the press. He can flame out in this job and make more money than the salaries of an entire major school system. But it's pathetic to see Iger('s lackeys) keep drumming this into the news cycle.
What’s really telling is the description of iger’s perceived “slights”…because they are totally in character and he’s WRONG about them all.

And the main problem for Disney is a throw away blip that is the problem “a cordial pass by at sun valley”

Sun valley…IS the problem…Disney should stay the &$@! Out of Sun valley. That’s your “rot”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Iger’s cultivated decades of relationships in the media, and he’s been dropping this stuff periodically. He once had aspirations of being a president, a senator, or at the very least a cabinet member or ambassador. Instead, he’s a billionaire trying to sell NFTs to remain relevant. He likely desperately misses the spotlight and is struggling with his dwindling relevancy and legacy.
It’s actually he’s fading/an afterthought now…and that’s what he’s always feared the most

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Did he, though? The continued focus on headliners without a supporting cast leaves all the parks desperate for additional capacity. There's not been a net new add anywhere since God knows when. Everest? Soarin' was a replacement. Maybe the FLE and its 2 rides.

Uh, Pandora?

Backlot Tour and the Car Stunt show got replaced by four and a half rides: Falcon, RotR, Aliens, SDD, and a 50% increase in TSM.

Sunset Showcase was added for parties and now hosts the Lightning McQueen experience.

The lake/arena was added to DAK, and hopefully, it will get a new night show.

TRON

Remy

Cosmic Rewind added a huge new building to the footprint of EPCOT.

Soarin' added 50% capacity with a new theater.

Of course there are some minuses, like SGE and Little Mermaid sitting empty.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Backlot Tour and the Car Stunt show got replaced by four and a half rides: Falcon, RotR, Aliens, SDD, and a 50% increase in TSM.

Sunset Showcase was added for parties and now hosts the Lightning McQueen experience.

The lake/arena was added to DAK, and hopefully, it will get a new night show.

TRON

Remy

Cosmic Rewind added a huge new building to the footprint of EPCOT.

Soarin' added 50% capacity with a new theater.

Of course there are some minuses, like SGE and Little Mermaid sitting empty.
That would be very impressive if it didn’t take roughly 18 years to do that an most involved closures as well.

Guardians is great…but “a huge new building”? One you can’t get to that results in the same ride capacity?

Come on…don’t reach that far at the slider.

Good things have been done…bad things have been done.

The wash truth is they could handle the crowds much better when evil, awful Michael left than when miracle Bob did.

It’s a business and that’s what the business shows right now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I admitted the minuses. Just because I'm not as angry as you that makes me a pixie duster.
I’m not calling you that…we’ve evolved.

I’d say that the recent building program
Has been good - fair - but still not adequate.

Nothing under construction past 2023 and they have land rot coming…

So that’s alarming.

And I’m not “angry”…I’m recently returned and I know what I’m looking at…it’s just not “enough”. But there was little doubt in that. The 2000-2015 period can’t be erased with half measures. And that’s what they have been.

I want better parks and happy customers…it’s just not enough.

fgmnt

Say what you will about Iger's predecessor, but the company culture then understood that the parks and resorts division of the company was the crown jewel of the company. Though Eisner's Disney Decade ended with a bit of a wet fart and ultimately his ouster, there was always a keen understanding that the company can always find opportunities for growth in the division. The what-ifs at the end of his tenure can take many branches (what if Euro Disney wasn't a bust? what if he didn't have to navigate through the biggest externality to hit American tourism ever? what if Steve Jobs liked him?) I'm not trying to wallpaper over the birth of strategic planning, the rise of Pressler, and the failures of DCA and DAK at open, but the parks were treated as a place to grow under him until the bitter end.

Meanwhile under Iger, the philosophy of treating the division like an ATM grew from a festering boil to a painful whole body rash. The disregard of the most unique asset any media company had allowed the literal Comcast Corporation to come in and define creative development of the industry. The coup de grace of course, being the merger of the prestige brand of parks and resorts, with the part of the company that sells Elsa's face on paper plates, and putting the guy that ran that division in charge of the combined venture.

Eisner saw the parks division as the cornerstone of his legacy. Bob saw it as a tool at best, and a dead weight at worst. The division never really had any interesting domestic growth until after Iger's whirly merge era began to cool off, and he had a chance to put his products in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom