News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Phil12

Chapek understands that Disney no longer needs a large group of imagineers but rather a small cadre. Outsourcing creative projects saves money and keeps quality at a high level. Bob knows how to make the creatives feel as if they've succeeded in putting one over on management when in fact they've been manipulated by Bob. However, I don't see his strategy working for more than a decade or two. But perhaps that's all the time he needs.

JoeCamel

Chapek understands that Disney no longer needs a large group of imagineers but rather a small cadre. Outsourcing creative projects saves money and keeps quality at a high level. Bob knows how to make the creatives feel as if they've succeeded in putting one over on management when in fact they've been manipulated by Bob. However, I don't see his strategy working for more than a decade or two. But perhaps that's all the time he needs.
So what exactly does Bob have on you? What's the lever?

Lilofan

Chapek's work contract ends Dec 2023. Let's see if he completes it.

M:SpilotISTC12

Found this CNBC article interviewing anonymous executives...

It hasn’t even been two years since Bob Chapek took over as Disney’s CEO. But one executive told CNBC there are already internal wagers at Disney about Iger returning.
Iger, 70, repeatedly extended his contract after planning to retire in 2015, 2016 and 2018 before abruptly stepping down in 2020. He’s still Disney’s executive chairman until the end of the year.
It’s unclear if Iger wants to return. He’s already working on a second book, according to The Hollywood Reporter, after publishing one in 2019.
But Disney shares have stumbled this year, down nearly 20% year to date. Iger owns a lot of those shares. The board and Iger may get restless if Disney+ growth stagnates and the company continues to have turf tensions between executives.

To quote Kenny Bania, "That's gold, Jerry. Gold"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Found this CNBC article interviewing anonymous executives...

To quote Kenny Bania, "That's gold, Jerry. Gold"
If you’re gonna go “reboot”…I’d rather it be the other guy…

the one that at least understood how Disney built its following…for a while, at least

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
…a decade or two?
Even the most successful Walmart night shift managers don’t last that long

wutisgood

It's clear to me that the the increased greediness of wdw in particular came from chapek as park president and still from him as CEO. I would be interested to see what would happen if chapek actually got the boot for Iger for a few more years and Josh actually was given actual power. It couldn't get worse at least.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no. Do not let Iger become CEO again.
The problem with this whole (forewarned…a long time ago) era is no new blood…so go “older blood”?

no…might as well board the place up
More of Slick Bobby? Pass.
But that would rob CMB of a chance at an ego boost as “saviour” and an even more ridiculous stock package…and another golden parachute

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The problem with this whole (forewarned…a long time ago) era is no new blood…so go “older blood”?

no…might as well board the place up

But that would rob CMB of a chance at an ego boost as “saviour” and an even more ridiculous stock package…and another golden parachute
“Retire”, diversify, then go back to be “the savior”, due to his own incompetence in not having someone even remotely qualified at the ready to take over, and gain even more stock options? His ego is massive enough to believe that.

Lilofan

“Retire”, diversify, then go back to be “the savior”, due to his own incompetence in not having someone even remotely qualified at the ready to take over, and gain even more stock options? His ego is massive enough to believe that.
That's the job of the Board of Directors to look for and approve the top guy ( ie Chapek ). In regards to Bob I, the wheeling and dealing to acquire to grow the company's assets is because of him.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's the job of the Board of Directors to look for and approve the top guy ( ie Chapek ). In regards to Bob I, the wheeling and dealing to acquire to grow the company's assets is because of him.
Day drinking today?

iger left scared and chapek “hung around”…there was no such “search” you assume.

now they should fix all that.

are you interesting in buying some prime swamp land?

Lilofan

Day drinking today?

iger left scared and chapek “hung around”…there was no such “search” you assume.

now they should fix all that.

are you interesting in buying some prime swamp land?
No other suitable replacements from the outside to be considered CEO that the Disney Board didn't consider? Maybe they are the ones drinking.. Iger left with approx $800M net worth. If I left like that I would be leaving happy.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

So what did the Board of Directors see in him to approve him to be CEO several years later?
A carnival crap peddler who cuts costs to boost profits? Who the **** knows. They also didn’t have any other internal options (thanks Bob 1.0!) and obviously didn’t have an appetite to look outside the company.
Chapek is a cold numbers guy. He’s one of those “sharp pencil guys” Walt Disney railed against decades ago.

Chapek represents the final step in the conversion of The Walt Disney Company from a family-run, family-friendly organization into a heartless “money is king” conglomerate.

Disney has been slowly devolving in this direction since Eisner took over in 1984. Someone like Chapek always was the ultimate goal for most large shareholders.

bcoachable

Chapek is a cold numbers guy. He’s one of those “sharp pencil guys” Walt Disney railed against decades ago.
Chapek represents the final step in the conversion of The Walt Disney Company from a family-run, family-friendly organization into a heartless “money is king” conglomerate.

Disney has been slowly devolving in this direction since Eisner took over in 1984. Someone like Chapek always was the ultimate goal for most large shareholders.
Nice to see you, Sir

Phil12

That is all correct. But let me add that Walt never needed the "sharp pencil boys" because he was a master at getting other people (sponsors) to pay for what he wanted. He was a salesman first and foremost.

Today, the "sharp pencil boys" (especially Chapek) are needed more than ever before. They have to figure out how to offset the massive costs because big sponsors are now very rare. Let's face it. Advertising and ad placement has changed dramatically since Walt's time.

And Disney has not been a family run company in a long time. It's a massive corporate conglomerate. It's owned by a large number of investment companies such as Vanguard, Blackrock, SSgA Funds and many others. Therefore, I think we need to be forthright and honest. In short, Disney has been owned by the "sharp pencil boys" for a very long time.

We need to thank the "sharp pencil boys" for keeping Disney.........Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom