Changes to table service dining cancellation policy - credit card requirement expands

menamechris

You can run the experiments, Mr. Wizard. I'm not really upset by this at all because it won't affect us. The CTR incident was the ONLY time we've had to cancel. We don't mind the 180 day booking at all and when we make reservations we stick to them.

Ummm..yeah, you wouldn't do it. My point exactly. I am confident Disney is going to be taking full advantage of collecting these charges, so obviously, I am not going to be running that "experiment". You seemed rather confident that they would not impose charges. Basically - your assumptions Disney will not follow through are only worth discussing if you are willing to put your money where your mouth is (no pun intended).

Disaddict

You can run the experiments, Mr. Wizard. I'm not really upset by this at all because it won't affect us. The CTR incident was the ONLY time we've had to cancel. We don't mind the 180 day booking at all and when we make reservations we stick to them.

Exactly. Here's what I find funny. How many of these people that are b****ing about this new rule do you think are the ones that would book 4 and 5 places at once. Most I'd assume. They're probably just upset at not being able to do what they want so easily now. :)

Bottom line.... It is happening, those that are on here raising h*** over it can deal with it, or eat elsewhere. We got it. They feel cheated, ripped off, or hard done by. They feel that this is going to be a major inconvenience... for them. LOL Whatever. They're never going to convince me that this is a bad thing and I'll never convince them that it is a good thing. So here's a solution, they can stay out of the places so we can go there. Problem solved. :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Exactly. Here's what I find funny. How many of these people that are b****ing about this new rule do you think are the ones that would book 4 and 5 places at once. Most I'd assume. They're probably just upset at not being able to do what they want so easily now. :)

Bottom line.... It is happening, those that are on here raising h*** over it can deal with it, or eat elsewhere. We got it. They feel cheated, ripped off, or hard done by. They feel that this is going to be a major inconvenience... for them. LOL Whatever. They're never going to convince me that this is a bad thing and I'll never convince them that it is a good thing. So here's a solution, they can stay out of the places so we can go there. Problem solved. :wave:

Funny...most people are agreeing that this is long overdue. :shrug:

goofysgurl

First off...half of the restaurants on this list offer character meals or are "real signature" meals.

Secondly - no one is saying "no-shows" should be excused

Finally (for all those that jump on this bandwagon) - the complaint many of us have is the per-person price. I have 4 children...if 1 child gets sick I will have to cancel my reservation. I cannot predict this will happen more than 24 hours before the reservation. That means I WILL BE CHARGED $60 because my child got sick and I have to cancel within the 24 period.

Here's my idea:
1: No-Shows: $10/person
2: Cancel 4 hours or more before: No Fee
3: Cancel lwithin 4 hours : $20 for the reservation

This way you make everyone happy.None of us really care about the cc fee & hold - it's the time frame. Those of us with children know that anything can happen. We shouldn't be penalized for a dinner we can't make because our 4 yo woke up with a stomach ache.

I make "only" enough reservations for my trip...I have never double booked...I have never missed (or skipped) a reservation...I have never been in a situation where this policy would effect my life - however...as a parent, I do see the potential for problems. And, being that I have a big family I get more screwed than some...

menamechris

Interesting assessment. Thanks for the insight. Couple points though - you have said in about 5 posts "this is happening". Is someone debating you on that?

Second of all, I have been pretty vocal about how unfair I feel Disney is being to the guest with this policy. However, I am a local. There is absolutely no reason for me to book multiple bookings - and I never have. Do people do it? Yes. Are those the only people offended by this new policy? Obviously not.

Thirdly, while you are championing Disney's new policy, you are wishing detriment on their dining locations by telling people if they don't like it to eat off property. Ironically, if everyone did that as a result - the policy would be completely repealed - and we would be back where we were. The restaurants need business. They need EVERY guest's money. This is one reason why we have the asinine dining plan. The bottom line is that if they were truly concerned with you, the guest - they would think of another way to handle the cheats that isn't proclaiming a no-tolerance policy to all guests.... Sorry, but I, for one, am not a fan of threats..

menamechris

Secondly - no one is saying "no-shows" should be excused

Finally (for all those that jump on this bandwagon) - the complaint many of us have is the per-person price. I have 4 children...if 1 child gets sick I will have to cancel my reservation. I cannot predict this will happen more than 24 hours before the reservation. That means I WILL BE CHARGED $60 because my child got sick and I have to cancel within the 24 period.

Quoted for truth. I don't have a problem with the credit card hold either. What I do NOT like is the 24 hour stance they are taking. No. Concierges all over the resort (and now people on their iphones) are looking for reservations at any given time. If I cancel within 2 or so hours of the reservation, that is PLENTY of time for that spot to get filled.

NewfieFan

Who's raising h*** in this thread!?! I guess I missed those posts!?! :shrug:

And I assume that most people discussing this thread have never double booked in their life! I have never (repeat NEVER) double booked in my life and every ADR that I couldn't make I've called and canceled (in hopes that some lucky soul would get the spot).

Most posters have said this change is long overdue and a good thing... what's bothering most people is the 24hr. window in which to cancel!

Why are people getting their panties in such a knot over this!?! Throwing insults, calling us babies, telling us to get over it, go somewhere else and eat, etc. :rolleyes:

Disaddict

Who's raising h*** in this thread!?! I guess I missed those posts!?! :shrug:

Were you raising h***? Then maybe I wasn't talking about you. So yes, re-read the posts. :rolleyes:

And I assume that most people discussing this thread have never double booked in their life! I have never (repeat NEVER) double booked in my life and every ADR that I couldn't make I've called and canceled (in hopes that some lucky soul would get the spot).

Sure. :cool:

Most posters have said this change is long overdue and a good thing... what's bothering most people is the 24hr. window in which to cancel!

And they are not the ones that I was talking about. Stop taking things personal. :rolleyes:

Why are people getting their panties in such a knot over this!?! Throwing insults, calling us babies, telling us to get over it, go somewhere else and eat, etc. :rolleyes:

Did I touch a nerve? I think so...... :rolleyes:

Condorman

I have 4 children...if 1 child gets sick I will have to cancel my reservation. I cannot predict this will happen more than 24 hours before the reservation. That means I WILL BE CHARGED $60 because my child got sick and I have to cancel within the 24 period.

Here's my idea:
1: No-Shows: $10/person
2: Cancel 4 hours or more before: No Fee
3: Cancel lwithin 4 hours : $20 for the reservation

This way you make everyone happy.

First of all, if you're already considering the possibility that one of your children is going to become ill, you're living in a "glass half-empty" world and you need to consider no ADRs and just stick with CS. If life is that doom-and-gloom for you, forgo the sit-down spots. I'm serious. I'm tired of listening to people portend the end of the world and expect a major corporation to help chair-lift their entire household out of any potential apocalypse, should it occur, on the off-chance, perhaps, maybe. Get over it.

Secondly, are you joking with your three-prong solution? Can you imagine if every policy or law had a hot, medium and cold reaction based upon who the violator was? No. That makes it discriminatory. There's one penalty for all violators. Your CC will be charged. Disney is not the school nurse. They don't need or have to collect a doctor's note for your sick child. They shouldn't have to research online whether your plane took off on time for your first day at WDW. As I stated in an earlier post, if your flight gets canceled that may not be your fault but it's absolutely not Disney's.

And you're kidding yourself if you think you're going to make everyone happy. This forum on this website, whether its guessing how Fantasyland is progressing, or why the MSB took away the French toast loaf, is proof positive that no one is happy 100% of the time.

I sincerely hope the people who are against this ADR policy find themselves burned by it in the future. Maybe then they'll learn to stop playing with fire.

goofysgurl

First of all, if you're already considering the possibility that one of your children is going to become ill, you're living in a "glass half-empty" world and you need to consider no ADRs and just stick with CS. If life is that doom-and-gloom for you, forgo the sit-down spots. I'm serious. I'm tired of listening to people portend the end of the world and expect a major corporation to help chair-lift their entire household out of any potential apocalypse, should it occur, on the off-chance, perhaps, maybe. Get over it.

Secondly, are you joking with your three-prong solution? Can you imagine if every policy or law had a hot, medium and cold reaction based upon who the violator was? No. That makes it discriminatory. There's one penalty for all violators. Your CC will be charged. Disney is not the school nurse. They don't need or have to collect a doctor's note for your sick child. They shouldn't have to research online whether your plane took off on time for your first day at WDW. As I stated in an earlier post, if your flight gets canceled that may not be your fault but it's absolutely not Disney's.

And you're kidding yourself if you think you're going to make everyone happy. This forum on this website, whether its guessing how Fantasyland is progressing, or why the MSB took away the French toast loaf, is proof positive that no one is happy 100% of the time.

I sincerely hope the people who are against this ADR policy find themselves burned by it in the future. Maybe then they'll learn to stop playing with fire.

No AW (figure it out...it ends with wipe) I am not considering one of my kids will get sick - as I said further in my post...it has never happened to me...but there are thousands of families that visit WDW each day. None of these people plan to get sick - but it happens.

And (for those of us who follow the rules) we should not be penalized for not cancelling less than 24 hours out.

If you can understand English (it may be hard for you) you'll realize no one here is complaining about the policy - just the 24 hour window. A lot can happen in 24 hours.

PS you SOB...you have no idea what my life has been. My DH spent 3 months in a coma - while I was pregnant with out first child - and all the Dr's told me to " prepare for the worse. " You want someone to lay your BS on - I more than willing - but be prepared to walk way with your tail between you legs!!!! You have no idea the fire you've stirred!!!! You tell me I look at the glass half full?!? I have never seen anything less that half empty...maybe the company I adore and give thousands of $'s to should follow!!

Lets be honest folks - this policy is NOT accomodating to those of us with small children that need to remain flexible. I only make one or two Table Service reservations a trip because I know I need to be flexible. And yes we've had to ditch a reservation because my 2 year old is melting down or my 5 year old is tired. Disney is suppose to be about FAMILY and this seems like over kill.

I completely understand why the policy is in place and to those who made multiple reservations I give you a one fingered salute because lets face it - you just made life harder on the rest of us.

What really makes Disney lose money is the fact that all this does is encourage me to spend less. We are DVC members and we get a full kitchen. I can make breakfast and lunch in the room every day if I want and eat a counter service dinner. Perhaps I should email Disney and thank them for all the money I will be saving on meals because while yes we only make 1 or 2 table service reservations a trip - that is still going to be money that they lose from me. Someone up thread made the point about "go to chilis" in the past I wouldn't have considered it - but now that you mention it, it's not a bad idea. :D

~Amanda

Disaddict

Well this discussion has gotten to the point of just plain stupid and silly. Again, this will be happening so either shut up about it and deal with it or eat elsewhere. :rolleyes: Either way I'm fine with that. ;) I have got to unsubscribe before someone says something else that makes me sit in a catatonic state trying to keep my head from exploding from the sheer stupidity of it. Peace out! :wave:

wdw71fan

My post probably wasn't offensive to you - since from your posts, I am getting the impression you are about 10 years old....

Just dipping to the level of the general whining around here..

And no, no where near 10.. Although I wish... Disney was a lot cheaper back then ;)

as a side to all of this.. this past new years I had ressies at 50's prime time.. well, the main sewer line in my home clogged, and I missed the ressie waiting for rotor rooter...

I would have been charged 70$ under the new policy.. and I'm ok with that, disney was there.. crap happened on my end (pun intended) that caused ME to not be there.. not their fault...

wdw71fan

No AW (figure it out...it ends with wipe) I am not considering one of my kids will get sick - as I said further in my post...it has never happened to me...but there are thousands of families that visit WDW each day. None of these people plan to get sick - but it happens.

And (for those of us who follow the rules) we should not be penalized for not cancelling less than 24 hours out.

If you can understand English (it may be hard for you) you'll realize no one here is complaining about the policy - just the 24 hour window. A lot can happen in 24 hours.

PS you SOB...you have no idea what my life has been. My DH spent 3 months in a coma - while I was pregnant with out first child - and all the Dr's told me to " prepare for the worse. " You want someone to lay your BS on - I more than willing - but be prepared to walk way with your tail between you legs!!!! You have no idea the fire you've stirred!!!! You tell me I look at the glass half full?!? I have never seen anything less that half empty...maybe the company I adore and give thousands of $'s to should follow!!

Wow.. Just wow... Play by the new rules and you'll still be fine.. 24 to cancel or lose 10$ a head...

draybook

You not showing up to that table makes them lose money, someone has to pay, and now it's going to be the guest.

Well, if they're already giving us Free Dining then aren't they already losing money? The same package we just had this September normally runs around $3300, but with FD it was $2178. I don't think they're doing just fine.

AEfx

How long ago did this incident occur?

I don't know, but he's told the story 77 times in this thread and instead of worrying about $10 he should start saving for the carpel tunnel treatments he is gonna need after this, LOL.

Seriously...it's not that big a deal, folks. The same folks generally claim that DDP has "ruined everything" dining-wise anyway, so if the food sucks now because of DDP, and you can't bear the thought of losing $10 anyway if you don't show, so I guess maybe Disney sit-down just may not be the option for them.

That said, yes, charging $10 for an infant who wouldn't have paid anyway is ridiculous and I would never have paid it. Lebeau, did you speak to anyone else? Did you talk to guest services? It's blatantly idiotic to be charged a "no show" fee for what would have been a free meal for the infant, and although you shouldn't have to "fight" it, that's exactly what you should have done. If you were here saying, "I went to guest services, I spoke to management, and they said yup, I had to pay," I'd be right there with you. Heck, if guest services didn't fix it, I would have simply called my credit card company and disputed the charge.

Your ONE bad experience, which you have made well, WELL known, is not an indicator of how things will work with this NEW system. Since the number of restaurants requiring this is expanding so, and Disney is well-known for giving it's employees (oh, I forget the exact wording) "empowering" them to assist with things like this, we have no idea what policies and exceptions will be in place. As someone who has answered phones similarly before, I can tell you that the people on the phone immediately get a gut reaction when someone is genuinely cancelling because of unforeseen circumstances and when they are just trying to get out of something.

While what happened to you is patently ridiculous, the fact you paid it is your own decision and you did nothing to bring this ridiculous thing to the attention of people who could have helped you. I'm sorry to be that harsh but this has become the "Lebeau is screaming mad about $10 and didn't stand up for himself" thread, when actually for most this is a really good change. It adds some inconvenience to the front end, but if people just go to the dang ressies they make, it should work most of the time. And no more "Disney Moms" booking four ressies at one restaurant at one time. That alone should alleviate some of the issues.

This is a good thing, IMO, and you don't have to agree - but it's not all about you and your one bad experience that you just accepted and didn't do anything to rectify.

AEfx

I agree that Disney dropped the ball. I was asking about when because if it was recent I was going to tell you to email guest services about the incident. If it had happened in the last month or so I would have given it even odds that they would have credited the money back on your account had you emailed or written them.

Wait...you mean, actually contact the company involved which would have taken five minutes as opposed to screaming about it, and still being admittedly angry a year and a half later and spending hours whining about it on a message board?

Stop with your crazy logic talk! I banish you!

AEfx

Lets be honest folks - this policy is NOT accomodating to those of us with small children that need to remain flexible.

What about old people?

What about disabled people?

What about incontinent people?

Or people who's names begin with the letter Z, or those that simply don't want to make a ressie at all?

I know, I know..."I'm a parent, that makes me special, Disney is all about toddlers, yadda yadda". But if we are really honest, everyone could feel that an exception should be made for them, or that they shouldn't have restrictions imposed.

As a parent, you make sacrifices. Just like any other guest, then you'll have to chalk up the $10/head if you don't make your reservation.

NewfieFan

Were you raising h***? Then maybe I wasn't talking about you. So yes, re-read the posts. :rolleyes:

I didn't say you were talking about me (maybe YOU need to re-read posts). I said, "Who's raising h*** in this thread!?!", refering to all posters not just myself! I still haven't seen these posts you've described. I'm been around these forums for a little while... trust me it can get a whole lot worse than this!!!

Sure. :cool:

That's right! :cool:

And they are not the ones that I was talking about. Stop taking things personal. :rolleyes:

I wasn't taking anything personal... where would you get that idea!?! I, like everyone else is this thread is responding to comments and opinions (you know, what you do in forum)! :rolleyes:

Did I touch a nerve? I think so...... :rolleyes:

You must think something of yourself! If posters on this forum touched my nerves I would have jumped off the deep end a long time ago! :rolleyes:

Sorry folks, back to your regularly scheduled discussion...!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom