Changes to table service dining cancellation policy - credit card requirement expands

lebeau

Regardless, just like the RFID mugs, FP return enforcement, etc... I hope this cancellation fee does take hold and stays. Hate me if you want but I can see this being a good thing.

Please explain the benefit to the guest. Aside from possibly locals getting a shot at same-day ressies, I see absolutely no upside to the guest.

Unless you meant "a good thing" for Disney. The extra income may be that.

Maybe it will blow up in their faces by resulting in lower TS bookings but I
doubt it. It's not like they are doing this at all of their restaurants.

YET

njDizFan

Regardless, just like the RFID mugs, FP return enforcement, etc... I hope this cancellation fee does take hold and stays. Hate me if you want but I can see this being a good thing. Maybe it will blow up in their faces by resulting in lower TS bookings but I doubt it. It's not like they are doing this at all of their restaurants. Just the signature ones which would put them in a higher level of service so would be subject to the same rules as those off property that have this same policy. I know some of you complain that they are not all "signature" places. Maybe they are changing. Disney has been shaking up several things lately including combining the lunch and dinner menus at SciFi and 50's. Maybe they are going to make all of those on the list a signature. And I loved the remark about 5 star dining not being the same as a Disney table service. LOL Cute. But again, these are Disney's signature places, not SciFi Dine In. ;)
I can guess what is going to happen. People will moan and groan and feign never to go to a TS restaurant again but in a few years the standard policy will be accepted and the bygone days will be forgotten.

After all who remembers how Disney used to operate in the not too recent past.

multiple page menus at the restaurants
specialized merchandice locations

Disaddict

Please explain the benefit to the guest. Aside from possibly locals getting a shot at same-day ressies, I see absolutely no upside to the guest.

Unless you meant "a good thing" for Disney. The extra income may be that.

YET

I see this as a good thing for the walk up guests. Regardless of your thoughts on it allowing others to book up the seats online. It also may have the effect of lessening the stress on the system that the DDP causes. This is going to happen. Griping about it will not change that. Plan better or make sure that you have the emergency funds to cover your emergency. I say your emergency because when we have a sick kid and cannot make it in then that is not Disney's fault. :) But you do not agree with me, at all. So why don't we just agree to disagree? :)

JWG

Color me not impressed...

$10 per person who doesn't cancel in advance is a bit ridiculous. Good thing we leave on the 25th I guess.

I totally agree, with millions of guests on property, people are going to get sick. If I come to the restaurant and get sent away because I throw up on you, do I still have to pay the $10?

UberPlannerMom

It might not be what everyone wants but for the most part it is handleable. (how's that for a made up word? Haha!) I do wish there was something we got in exchange for our possible charge- actual reservations. As someone pointed out earlier the current system isn't for reservations but for priority seating. I hate that I go to the trouble of making these reservations 6 months in advance and then have to wait an hour for my table. If they are going to take it seriously enough for me to get charged 10 bucks a head then I would like to be seated promptly. I can handle waiting for a ride but man do I get cranky when I show up for my dinner starving and have to stand and wait for them to seat me. Feed me Seymour!

kverdon

I've got to admit that I also feel that something like this is long overdue. I do feel the 24 hour rule is a bit harsh but like many things, when the pendulum swings it often swings too far past the desired goal. I would not be surprised to see Disney cut the time window down to something like 6 hours in the future.

The more I thought about this policy as a computer systems analyst the more sense it made. With the current system, it’s too easy to bypass it. Need two phone numbers, no problem, use your home and cell number, the cell number is unlisted. Need two email accounts, no problem, go to Gmail or Hotmail and create as many as you like.

With the requirement of the credit card you now have to provide a number that can't be faked and has a hard name and possibly more important, a hard billing address attached to it. It would make sense for Disney to have you register a card on file to collect that info. Now when you make a reservation, your CC number, name and billing number are tied to that ressie. Try to make a duplicate ressie, just have the system check the CC number and/or billing address for a duplicate and it’s no go. Same when you try to call and cancel your reservation and claim you are "sick". All a CM would have to do is query the system to see if you have ressies anywhere else with the same CC or billing address. They find a match and your will be really out of luck.

You could even take this one step further run a query during non-peak hours looking for duplicate ressies with the same CC/Billing info and have the system email the folks with duplicate ressies that you've detected the duplicates and if they are not cancelled down to one by the next time the query runs next time you cancel all of them. This is all actually not extremely hard to setup.

Now if someone wants to setup duplicate credit cards with duplicate billing address under different names or wants to go through and cancel all their duplicates 24 hours out then there is not much you can do to stop them but it should catch/deter the majority of offenders.

thanks,

Kevin and Mona (off to the world in 9 days!)

wdw71fan

the funny thing is, I can't believe that people think that a few thousand bucks earned per yer by these penalties is even a blip on the financial radar of a multi-billion dollar company..

it'll probably equate to enough money to buy a new pressure washer next year for mainstreet.... it's not like it's going to cause positive growth for the company.. So thinking that it's a money grab is ignorant at best..

Again, I like the policy, it's a deterant to prevent the careless individuals from booking 3-4 dinners in an evening because they 'don't know where they will be, or what they'll want for dinner'.. That is YOUR problem, not disney's, and not mine.

Sorry, but pop the binky back in your mouth, grab your blankie, and GET OVER IT..

(see what I did there? I brought facts and then repeated the phrase that is hated by the losing opinion base... BTW, if I was saying get over it to the other side of this arguement, then you would be happy, and the other side would whine ;))

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
18 months ago. And I'm as angry now as I was then. Disney dropped the ball.

This was my most recent trip to Disney. So in those terms, it may as well have happened yesterday. They haven't had a chance to redeem themselves in my eyes.

Why? You think this isn't happening right now? I think it's only going to become more common.
I agree that Disney dropped the ball. I was asking about when because if it was recent I was going to tell you to email guest services about the incident. If it had happened in the last month or so I would have given it even odds that they would have credited the money back on your account had you emailed or written them.

freediverdude

I'm all for this. A. it will stop the people doing multiple reservations for every park, and B. I'm really over the DDP and the "everybody has to make all their dining ressies 180 days out" ruining the restaurants at Disney World. If you're sick or have a sick kid, you won't be eating at a fancy place anyway, but you had made the ressie knowing the risks, because it's a fancy vacation.

WDW1974

I can guess what is going to happen. People will moan and groan and feign never to go to a TS restaurant again but in a few years the standard policy will be accepted and the bygone days will be forgotten.

After all who remembers how Disney used to operate in the not too recent past.

multiple page menus at the restaurants
specialized merchandice locations

Yep ... and when folks like us point those things out we'll be called liars (and worse) and told we don't remember correctly.

That's SOP in the fan community these days.

Anyone want to tell me that EPCOT didn't use to regularly have 11 and midnight closings? Or that I didn't get in as a walkup at Le Cellier? How about a WDW where MK didn't have fireworks nightly and NO ONE complained?

Yep ... all BS, right? Didn't happen.

~GFCers hate vinyl!~

startraveler

I remember. Comparing travel in the 1990s to the 2000s. 1990s - My family remembers staying at EPCOT until midnight. We never made dining reservations (which at the time were just something like guaranteed to be seating after a certain time - not really a reservation "time") except for "day of" when we were already at the parks. We walked up the Le Cellier and many others, including The Cinderella's Royal Table (when you ordered off a big menu - not a character meal). Our meals were unique and fantastic. We always took our trips in the Fall - from 1988 - and always lamented that we couldn't see fireworks or an evening parade because they only happened in the summer. We spent time in the resort or at EPCOT in the evenings reading, watching movies and eating pizzas because MK and MGM closed early - 6 or 7pm and it was because of a hard ticket. And there seemed to be a lot more entertainment. You would get to MK early in the AM to pick up tickets for a Diamond Horseshoe time. Entertainment while waiting for Fantasmic! - almost as fun as the show. No long lines for characters. Unique shops with different merchandise. Used to have E-nights which you paid something like 19.95 for.
Now - have to make reservations (we still don't do it much, but do end up wandering a lot or eating QS); long lines; closed attractions and restaurants;lots of hard ticket events; less entertainment; same stuff in all the stores (well most)
BUT - I still love it. Just wish some things could go back to the way they used to be.
AND - I do remember those things...

Dads 2 Boys

To say this is about making money is ludicrous. For a few of you in particular, you are reaching for why they are doing this and will not listen to anyone else's opinion or anything else. If you hate WDW so much, why would you bother to go?

menamechris

Sure it will, will it totaly eradicate the peoblem all together? of course not. But it will help. Here is why....say you double....triple book. You call with your bogus excuse to cancel said ADR. They pull your ressie up....check the card number....they then can see if you have multi-bookings....bingo...you get charged....

I know....you can use different cards to make your ressies. as I said there isnt a "bullet" proof system but it is the best they can come up with right now. Atleast give Disney some credit. I think they have already thought about the situations people have mentioned. They know their buisness better then any of us do.

And to those who say that DDP is the ruination of WDW is silly. It makes money....its a buisness. Therefore helps finance refurbs, exspansion etc.

It is my experience that the people I have run into who cheat the system are proud of it. This will simply be a new challenge for them to figure out how to get around Disney's ever-growing rule book for guest behavior. I am an adult - if I decide I can't make it to a meal for whatever reason, I feel that I am being a mature, responsible adult when I cancel and open up the spot for someone else. Disney is now resorting to treating everyone like children with a punishment system. And we have to play by their rules - no excuses. There are many rude, arrogant, and immature adults out there - but micromanaging the system in this way will not going to force these people to behave or be responsible. These are the same people who will make a scene or verbally abuse a cast member until they get their way. Unfortunately, those of us who are mature and responsible will be the ones suffering the consequences. This is wrong on so many levels, and I think I will be writing a letter of my own. If this isn't about a quick money grab - they could use their funds, resources, and business geniuses to come up with something less offensive and belittling to the guest.

wdw71fan

It is my experience that the people I have run into who cheat the system are proud of it. This will simply be a new challenge for them to figure out how to get around Disney's ever-growing rule book for guest behavior. I am an adult - if I decide I can't make it to a meal for whatever reason, I feel that I am being a mature, responsible adult when I cancel and open up the spot for someone else. Disney is now resorting to treating everyone like children with a punishment system. And we have to play by their rules - no excuses. There are many rude, arrogant, and immature adults out there - but micromanaging the system in this way will not going to force these people to behave or be responsible. These are the same people who will make a scene or verbally abuse a cast member until they get their way. Unfortunately, those of us who are mature and responsible will be the ones suffering the consequences. This is wrong on so many levels, and I think I will be writing a letter of my own. If this isn't about a quick money grab - they could use their funds, resources, and business geniuses to come up with something less offensive and belittling to the guest.

If you don't like it, go to Chili's.

invader

You not showing up to that table makes them lose money, someone has to pay, and now it's going to be the guest.

menamechris

the funny thing is, I can't believe that people think that a few thousand bucks earned per yer by these penalties is even a blip on the financial radar of a multi-billion dollar company..

it'll probably equate to enough money to buy a new pressure washer next year for mainstreet.... it's not like it's going to cause positive growth for the company.. So thinking that it's a money grab is ignorant at best..

Again, I like the policy, it's a deterant to prevent the careless individuals from booking 3-4 dinners in an evening because they 'don't know where they will be, or what they'll want for dinner'.. That is YOUR problem, not disney's, and not mine.

Not a business major, huh? This will be HUGE for dining's bottom line. Your credit card company makes billions per year by collecting small interest fees like this.

First of all, you said, few thousand a year? During peaks seasons it could be per day. If a family of 4 can't make their reservation, that's $40. So they only need about 25 families to either not show or cancel within the 24 hour window to make $1,000 a day - for NOTHING. It's free money. And on top of you paying for essentially 50% of your meal you didn't eat - they will also take that family who didn't make a reservation, but just walked up to eat. This will end up being a cash cow for Disney...

menamechris

You not showing up to that table makes them lose money, someone has to pay, and now it's going to be the guest.

If that was the logic - people on the dining plan would be exempt. They have already paid for their meal (excluding gratuity). Do you think that waitress is pocketing your cancellation fee?

NewfieFan

Sorry, but pop the binky back in your mouth, grab your blankie, and GET OVER IT..

(see what I did there? I brought facts and then repeated the phrase that is hated by the losing opinion base... BTW, if I was saying get over it to the other side of this arguement, then you would be happy, and the other side would whine ;))

I ASSUME you're refering to me! If you read any of my posts in this thread you would know I'm on both sides of the fence about this. I'm not on any side of this argument! I was fine with it in the beginning, however the 24hr window is a bit too rigid in my mind and I think it will upset a lot of guests (IF I have to cancel in the future for a valid reason, the $40 is going to sting just a little more).

And I'm sorry but I fail to see any facts in your post!?! You guessed at how much Disney would make with this move and said it would buy a pressure washer! Come on... we both know it's going to be more than that!

My original post still stands! For the sake of everyone in this thread (who again for the most part are discussing it like grown adults) please present your argument without resorting to insults.

draybook

Awesome. On October 27th, I would like you to book a reservation at 3 of these restaurants for your whole family - and see what appears on your credit card statement. Report back! :wave:

You can run the experiments, Mr. Wizard. I'm not really upset by this at all because it won't affect us. The CTR incident was the ONLY time we've had to cancel. We don't mind the 180 day booking at all and when we make reservations we stick to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom