Changes to table service dining cancellation policy - credit card requirement expands

lebeau

Fair points. I can see that. :) Ultimately, this is a bad situation no matter how it is handled. Unfortunately they have no real solution then. If they do away with the DDP then more people will eat only at QS or will go off property to save money. If they do this cc hold thing then they run into the issue that you explained. Either way some people are going to be p*ssed. :shrug:

I can't fix the whole system. But I think the cc holds will create more guest dissatisfaction than it will solve. However, Disney will receive a new revenue stream and that may be enough for them to turn a blind eye on dissatisfied customers.

If this measure would actually prevent double booking and make reservations and walk-ups easier to get, I'd be in favor of it. I'd still be leery about booking at one of these restaurants due to my negative experience. But, I'd grudgingly accept it.

But it won't help in any significant way other than putting a few extra bucks in the Mouse's pocket. And those bucks won't come from the "cheaters". They will come from honest folks who had a bad day.

lebeau

Aplause, Aplause --- finally. May not be perfect option -- but nothing will satisfy everyone. I don't think Disney will try to hold the screws to people, but hopefully will demotivate the folks that book lots of ADRs and never plan to use them or don't at least make an effort to cancel.

I've got another question for people who think this is worthy of applause, applause...

If Disney isn't going to "hold the screws to people" how do you imagine this policy is going to provide any disincentive whatsoever. You can't have it both ways. Either Disney will be soft and the policy will be toothless or Disney will hold the screws to people and charge fees to honest folks with bad luck on an already expensive trip.

I love the Pollyana idea that this is only going to be enforced on the "bad guys"... :rolleyes:

lebeau

Had to cancel a room only reservation at 5:00 PM on our day of arrival due to a medical emergency and was never charged a dime.

I figured you'd have a story. And like I said before, I'm glad to hear Disney gets it right sometimes. Maybe they get it right the majority of the time. But if they get it wrong 10% of the time, it's too much. And with the expanding policy (and what is sure to be a crack-down) I expect that there will be a lot more angry guests like me.

I don't see an upside (other than money) that offsets that.

Disaddict

That's what gets me. When we go to Disney we take:
- Spending money for each member of the family
- A certain amount of General Merchandise money for things I don't want the family to have to use their own money for (t-shirts, photo frames, etc...)
- Food money for the meals that are not covered on the DDP and food for breakfast that we stop by the store to get on the way in from the airport.
- Gas money for the rental car.
- Tip money
- And our Oh S**T Money. This money is used to cover any unexpected expenses.

I will be using the "Oh S**T Money" card for all cc holds since I cannot possibly see anything happening to our dinners anyway but I doubt that even if it did I would only be out for one of those dinners. And that's why we call it "Oh S**T Money". ;) In any vacation there is the possibility of an emergency. That is the nature of Murphy's Law so plan for it. I seriously doubt any family would get hit with two incidents that would require little to no notification for dining cancellations in the same trip. Make sure that money is there to cover it.

lebeau

With the old system there was no real extra effort to circumvent the system. All you needed was an additional name, email or phone number and you were done. Now in addition to that you are going to have to give up a CC number, possibly 2 for double bookings, and keep track of it all and make sure you cancel to avoid paying. I think that additional bit of work will discourage most. Nothing will discourage all.

I think it will discourage people from double booking restaurants that require a hold. But you could still book one that requires a hold and several that don't with a minimum of extra work. Push comes to shove, you keep the one with the hold and no show the others.

People will work around this. It's a relatively minor inconvenience for them. And they've already demonstrated they are willing to put forth the effort.

lebeau

That's what gets me. When we go to Disney we take:
- Spending money for each member of the family
- A certain amount of General Merchandise money for things I don't want the family to have to use their own money for (t-shirts, photo frames, etc...)
- Food money for the meals that are not covered on the DDP and food for breakfast that we stop by the store to get on the way in from the airport.
- Gas money for the rental car.
- Tip money
- And our Oh S**T Money. This money is used to cover any unexpected expenses.

I will be using the "Oh S**T Money" card for all cc holds since I cannot possibly see anything happening to our dinners anyway but I doubt that even if it did I would only be out for one of those dinners. And that's why we call it "Oh S**T Money". ;) In any vacation there is the possibility of an emergency. That is the nature of Murphy's Law so plan for it. I seriously doubt any family would get hit with two incidents that would require little to no notification for dining cancellations in the same trip. Make sure that money is there to cover it.

It's not a matter of planning. I HAD the money to cover the bill. I had that and then some. Heck, all our meals were covered on my Disney Rewards points that trip.

Just cause you have the money set aside, that doesn't make it sting any less when you're asked to pay a $40 fee for a meal you didn't get to eat due to bad weather. Especially when you made an effort to call in advance and one member of your party is an infant.

NewfieFan

you do realize that this just brings dining in line with most other things... paid 8,000 dollars and missed the ship at the cruise terminal? Oh well, there goes 8,000 dollars.. Can't arrive at your hotel (ANY hotel ANYWHERE for that matter) until 3 days after you said you would, and the hotel stay starts today? Sorry , but that money is hone..

Thats the way the world works people... Disney held up their side of the deal, the restaurant was open and ready to receive you, if you don't show up, or you are late.. It's not their fault, and they shouldn't have to lose revenue because you can't be there as promised.

Get over it.

But I can cancel my stay at the Holiday Inn up until 6pm of the day I'm going to check in and never be charged a dime!?!

Stop telling people to get over it! For the most part, the posters here are having a civil discussion about these changes (hence, the purpose of this forum). Why do people have to come on here and tell people off for their opinions is beyond me!?!

Really? I managed to get a reservation for Yachtsman next month, and Citricos in December, both made yesterday, no problem.

I can see Ohana, Le Cellier, and the character meals being difficult to book and therefore requiring this guarantee, but in all honesty unless you're booking for a peak period, most of those restaurants that are outside of the above 3 listed aren't that hard to get a reservation at most other times of the year.

My post was in agreement with the other poster who was trying to explain how Disney came up with their list of "signature" restaurants that would require the CC guarantee. I didn't say all those restaurants were booked out 180 days in advance... I said they were signature plus the ones that tend to book 180 days out. Yachtsman falls under the sig category btw, whether it's booked at the 180 day mark... I have no idea!

goofysgurl

I can see the fee for no-shows but if someone calls and cancels their reservation they shouldn't be charged. No shows are a problem because walk-ups are turned away when a table is held. And apparently these are for the restaurants in greater demand than others so I'm sure they get more walk-up requests.

Disney sends email reminders now for all ADR's and most of the world is walking around with a smartphone. They've pretty much eliminated the chance someone will take advantage by not bothering to cancel or forgetting their reservation - the only people this will effect will be those that have legitimate reasons to cancel that same day.

Hopefully, most CM's will not strictly enforce this on those visitors.

This isn't to increase availability of table service restaurants, it's to add another revenue stream. Nothing prevents guests from making multiple reservations still as long as they cancel all but 1 the day before. It's a genius way to make easy money, nothing more. The positive externality is that availability will increase, but it surely isn't the purpose of the policy.

draybook

You mean they didn't enforce it on you. Two of my friends have had the charges added to their cc for missing that table. And I'm sure that they will enforce this policy every time now otherwise every jerk that booked multiple ADRs will have a sob story trying to get out of the fee. Besides, I doubt that Disney would allow multiple bookings for the near same arrival times on the same cc. So unless a person used 4 or 5 cards to book the ADRs then they may (if Disney goes this far) get refused multiple ADR bookings.

No, I mean they won't enforce it. Just like they don't enforce much of any rule, thus the reason things get out of hand.

lebeau

No, I mean they won't enforce it. Just like they don't enforce much of any rule, thus the reason things get out of hand.

It's been enforced in the past. Trust me!

But if they don't enforce it, isn't that just as bad. Then you're just creating more hoops for guests to jump through with no additional benefit.

It's a loose/loose for the guest no matter how they enforce the policy.

I'm pretty passionate about this policy. Having thought about it for an additional 24-hours, my thoughts have crystalized. This feels like a cash grab with no benefit to guests. I have written up my full thoughts on the subject at my blog.

menamechris

Awesome. On October 27th, I would like you to book a reservation at 3 of these restaurants for your whole family - and see what appears on your credit card statement. Report back! :wave:

PolynesianPrincess

So what happens if you have a booking for 6 people and plans change and only 3-4 people show up? Do you get charged a no show fee for those that didn't show up? :shrug:

lebeau

So what happens if you have a booking for 6 people and plans change and only 3-4 people show up? Do you get charged a no show fee for those that didn't show up? :shrug:

Just speculating, but I have to think that would be a train wreck. Even as vocal as I have been against this policy, I can't see Disney taking things to that extreme!

Please justify my dwindling faith, Oh Mouse!

PolynesianPrincess

Just speculating, but I have to think that would be a train wreck. Even as vocal as I have been against this policy, I can't see Disney taking things to that extreme!

Please justify my dwindling faith, Oh Mouse!

Hopefully not!! If they DO decide to charge for those who do not show up, remind me not to make the ADR's on my CC when traveling with my large family... They're sometimes known to just go with the flow and not show up for our ADRs... Well not on my dime dear family, not on my dime!

lebeau

Hopefully not!! If they DO decide to charge for those who do not show up, remind me not to make the ADR's on my CC when traveling with my large family... They're sometimes known to just go with the flow and not show up for our ADRs... Well not on my dime dear family, not on my dime!

If it were me, I'd be sure to clarify before booking my next reservation...

Edit: I'm on the phone right now. I'll post an answer when I get it.

Edit #2: Daisy on the phones says, "That's a good question..." I'm on hold.

Edit #3: Daisy confirmed that you WILL be charged for any individual members of your party who do not cancel in advance

WDW1974

So you've never seen this before:

Hmmm. You must not eat out very often. ;) I've seen messages like that one quite a few times. Heck, I found that one by Googling and selecting my first hit. :)

Found at: http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/04/should-restaurants-charge-no-show-fees.html

------

Even if they do double book (I'm sure Disney will auto track the CC number to prevent this anyway) they will still be canceling in enough time for you to get a walk up in that spot they vacated. That is unless you intend on sitting outside the place all night.

Funny how you noted the hottest new restaurant in NYC the very day a story on it appeared in the NY Times.

I doubt very much you can compare any WDW locale (except V & A's, which 99.9% of all fanbois will never set foot in anyway) to a place of that caliber.

But let's all go defend the man ... it's so en vogue in the USA as we become more third world by the day.

Walmart for all! :lol::rolleyes::drevil:

WDW1974

I'm glad it worked out for you. And maybe this will be the case for the majority. Maybe even 90%. But it sure sucks when you're in that 10%.

My point is, don't assume you will be granted an exception if you have a good reason. Sometimes the policy will be enforced. People are going to get burned.

And the upside? A very minor obstacle for those who double book? One that can be easily worked around. And people who double book have already shown they are willing to put in the effort to do so.

This is not a guest-friendly policy.

And THAT last line is the most important, really.

WDW built its reputation (not the current crumbling, Walmart-like one ... the high quality, second to none one for its first 25 MAGICal years) on providing the best in guest service (and guest recovery when things went wrong).

Their 'tude these days is very much one of giving the finger (white-gloved, of course) to any guests/fans/cast who might have an issue with their increasingly draconian policies.

When you cater to the number of people that WDW does ... the number of families with young children and elderly ... the number of folks who are flying and don't have rental cars ... you are going to have plenty of folks that have to bail out on a meal at last minute due to very legit circumstances. This policy just reeks of a money grab ... after all, didn't Disney just make a big deal about their system cancelling multiple reservations on the same day/times anyway? ... So, now, who exactly is the policy targeting? It would seem it would be those who are most likely to have legit reasons for cancelling or not showing up.

But ... people on some level get what they deserve ... like I posted before, the Swan/Dolphin/DD/Hotel Plaza have some amazing dining experiences and people would be wiser to patronize them versus doing the 180 day dance with the rodent.:eek:

~GFC~

njDizFan

So you've never seen this before:

Hmmm. You must not eat out very often. ;) I've seen messages like that one quite a few times. Heck, I found that one by Googling and selecting my first hit. :)

Found at: http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/04/should-restaurants-charge-no-show-fees.html

------

Even if they do double book (I'm sure Disney will auto track the CC number to prevent this anyway) they will still be canceling in enough time for you to get a walk up in that spot they vacated. That is unless you intend on sitting outside the place all night.
I understand your point but I disagree completely. And please don not try and compare Per Se or Momofuku to any restaurant in WDW or even the world. These are two of the most valued restaurants in the country. They are not simply meals but a complete dining and culinary experience. At 200-300 per person their customers expect a to have a meal they will remember for a lifetime. Oh and BTW the service is included in the meal(no tip).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom