Changes to private dining hours at Walt Disney World Resort hotels

21stamps

Just for the record... today is just an ordinary day. No holidays, no special events, no Halloween Party, nothing. A weekday to boot. And Magic Kingdom has extra magic hours until 1 a.m. tonight. Given the average wait times to get a bus at park closing, plus travel times, I suspect that means that a lot of people will be getting back to their resorts at 2 a.m. or later.

Now, I'm not saying this is the case every single night. But when folks can be at Magic Kingdom until 1 a.m. on a random October evening, I'd say it's pretty darn likely that those arguing hardly no one ever gets back to their rooms at 2 a.m. or later are mistaken.

It does not take an hour for people at the Contemporary and GF to get back to their rooms if they leave MK at 1am. Sorry, no way, even with a line for the monorail or boat to GF.

21stamps

Random thoughts....The level of service mainly. Not being able to call the real Front Desk directly. Spotty housekeeping. The pools are a bit too small for the number of rooms. No wait staff at the pool areas. Pool areas often look very sloppy, they don't have enough attendants picking up the used towels throughout the day and such. You should be able to eat dinner at the basic restaurants if you are staying there without reserving it 180 days in advance. I find that the lobbies often feel like Grand Central Station due to the enormous amounts of people who come for ADRs at the Deluxes.

I feel like you can eat at the restaurants.. the character meals are a little more tough, but I think there’s still plenty of options. I’ve been lucky I guess and haven’t had an issue with the pool areas or housekeeping (except for one morning when I realized they forgot to restock my coffee).

I agree with your last sentence sooooo much!!!

ChrisM

Just for the record... today is just an ordinary day. No holidays, no special events, no Halloween Party, nothing. A weekday to boot. And Magic Kingdom has extra magic hours until 1 a.m. tonight. Given the average wait times to get a bus at park closing, plus travel times, I suspect that means that a lot of people will be getting back to their resorts at 2 a.m. or later.

Now, I'm not saying this is the case every single night. But when folks can be at Magic Kingdom until 1 a.m. on a random October evening, I'd say it's pretty darn likely that those arguing hardly no one ever gets back to their rooms at 2 a.m. or later are mistaken.

It actually is a something of a special day - probably the only non-Halloween party night of the week that the MK will be open late.

FullSailDan

Random thoughts....The level of service mainly. Not being able to call the real Front Desk directly. Spotty housekeeping. The pools are a bit too small for the number of rooms. No wait staff at the pool areas. Pool areas often look very sloppy, they don't have enough attendants picking up the used towels throughout the day and such. You should be able to eat dinner at the basic restaurants if you are staying there without reserving it 180 days in advance. I find that the lobbies often feel like Grand Central Station due to the enormous amounts of people who come for ADRs at the Deluxes.

This! I worked front desk at Yacht and Beach a decade ago and things were run quite differently then but were already experiencing some of these challenges. I get that people stay at these hotels because they are there for the theme parks, but the level of "luxury" that should come with the price points Disney is after is a little lacking. The reason restaurants at resorts elsewhere, have the price point they do, is because they don't fill up on reservations. You're paying for a mix of convenience and high quality. Just about any deluxe/luxury hotel I've been to in my adult life has had VERY clean pools, and attendants that knew how to work it for a few bucks anytime I needed anything. Housekeeping I can forgive slightly, many resorts in Mexico, the Caribbean, and other tropical areas have had house keeping that was "meh". But go to a four seasons, Mariott Marquis or a Mandarin Oriental and I've always felt I could eat off the floors if I had to. You'll also find more than one "high end" restaurant in each and a concierge level means a whole lot more than a greeting off the elevator and snacks during the day. And yes, just about anywhere you go, if you call the front desk for a hamburger, salad, or pancakes at 3:30 in the morning, they find a way to make it happen. It might cost you, but its available.....I'm very forgiving of the parks and really find much to love at Disney, but there is a gap when it comes to the hotels level of service and what exists outside the bubble.

Scuttle

Years ago the CR had a 24 Quick Serve that was great when we got back from the park after Midnight. Then several years ago, when the remodel turned the lobby into a Hyatt look-a-like service stopped at midnight. Five hundred + a night and all that is available are a few vending machines that don't always work. Not my idea of a Deluxe resort.

This may be a precursor to the parks always closing before midnight. Say what you will, but any reduction in service is nothing but a cost cutting move on management's part which degrades the value of the high prices to the customer.
Don't worry their AAA 4 star award is in jeopardy now without 24 hour room service...

Oh wait Disney just pays them for that award I forgot. o_O

hokielutz

Why would anyone accept any cost-cutting measures from a resort that is as absurdly overpriced as WDW? The way hotel rates, ticket prices, merchandise and food costs have all skyrocketed during the Iger period, there is absolutely no reason to accept or defend Disney for chopping service - something they do continually.

You know, if people stop paying WDW's exorbitant prices for mediocre service, the service would improve.

People are probably NOT using that much of the late night, early AM private dining service, and the kitchen staff are probably too idle to make the round the clock service worth it at these locations.

21stamps

This! I worked front desk at Yacht and Beach a decade ago and things were run quite differently then but were already experiencing some of these challenges. I get that people stay at these hotels because they are there for the theme parks, but the level of "luxury" that should come with the price points Disney is after is a little lacking. The reason restaurants at resorts elsewhere, have the price point they do, is because they don't fill up on reservations. You're paying for a mix of convenience and high quality. Just about any deluxe/luxury hotel I've been to in my adult life has had VERY clean pools, and attendants that knew how to work it for a few bucks anytime I needed anything. Housekeeping I can forgive slightly, many resorts in Mexico, the Caribbean, and other tropical areas have had house keeping that was "meh". But go to a four seasons, Mariott Marquis or a Mandarin Oriental and I've always felt I could eat off the floors if I had to. You'll also find more than one "high end" restaurant in each and a concierge level means a whole lot more than a greeting off the elevator and snacks during the day. And yes, just about anywhere you go, if you call the front desk for a hamburger, salad, or pancakes at 3:30 in the morning, they find a way to make it happen. It might cost you, but its available.....I'm very forgiving of the parks and really find much to love at Disney, but there is a gap when it comes to the hotels level of service and what exists outside the bubble.

I see people say this a lot.. and I still don’t understand it. Maybe you can help me..

What does Disney neglect to do that other similar-priced resorts actually do?

FullSailDan

I see people say this a lot.. and I still don’t understand it. Maybe you can help me..

What does Disney neglect to do that other similar-priced resorts actually do?

A LOT! Most similarly priced hotels will have concierges with actual inside access for reservations, events, etc. Disney will help book a reservation but they are just using opentable or the onsite dining app. They have really no pull outside of their hotel, and even then only select hotels on property hold back some reservations for their concierge. Most similarly priced hotels will have around 3 to 4 really solid restaurants inside their property (the exception being Mexican resorts). Not talking counter service or buffets, but ones with a tailored menu and good atmosphere.

Pools - if there isn't a cocktail server coming by 3 times an hour, they are doing it wrong. (They are usually super friendly and they learn the good tippers.) If a towel sits in the hamper for more than 15 minutes, they are doing it wrong, if your towel looks wet and they don't replace it for you, they are doing it wrong. I know this sounds pretentious but that's the level of service you get at a $350+ night resort. (The exception here being the Bahamas, you're lucky if the cocktail waitress is around once an hour and returns with a drink in less than 20 minutes.) What's sad is that the rooftop pool at my old gym in DC provided better service and kept on top of the pool decks better than Disney does currently.

Front Desk - god, Disney, find some happy workers again. The saving grace here is that pre arrival check-in is now a thing at WDW and you don't have to deal with them often. I find most of the front desk at Disney to be very combative over the last 3-4 years for some reason. Most hotels their front desk staff are way more friendly and have more knowledge of their resorts (how is this still a thing?! how have cast not eaten at their hotel's restaurants? how do they not know the views from most room numbers? These are the things as a front desk manager at WDW we were harping on 10 years ago!) Again, most luxury hotels will get you whatever you need asap, with a cost of course. The answer is "would you like us to charge that to your room?" not, "you can call a taxi/lyft and they will take you to get medicine/food/diapers/etc at Goodings". Streamlined service is also a thing at most of these hotels. "Please go on about your day and we'll have it done by the time you get back" Disney is "Please wait. We need you to stand with me while I figure this out"

Amenities - most have a very nice spa, with a massage/facial readily available. Currently only the Grand has the scale of what other places would consider a spa. Yes other hotels have them, but they are sorta "meh" and you feel like you walked into a gym/nail salon/waxing studio/massage parlor in one kinda place.

Housekeeping - Disney used to be pretty solid here, not sure what happened. Lately rooms have been less clean, sheets are not changed as often, and the housekeeper doesn't recognize long term guest (more than 2 days). Many of them also don't seem responsive to requests. I think they are just spread too thin. Many (but not all) luxury resorts will use teams to clean rooms so they are faster.

I could go on. But I don't want to beat a dead horse. Look, I don't think Disney is totally off the mark here. They are close. It just takes effort and care about the impression guests have. With a few tweaks, they could be forgiven for not being 100% at the level of others, because yes, it's Disney and it's a theme park resort. But the attitude of guests being treated as numbers, and cast not feeling pride in the place (this is really key to a good resort, they should feel proud of the place and treat those staying as people they are excited to entertain). Every few years there seems to be a push for "back to basics" and every few years, it's lost in "keep your rooms full!".

21stamps

A LOT! Most similarly priced hotels will have concierges with actual inside access for reservations, events, etc. Disney will help book a reservation but they are just using opentable or the onsite dining app. They have really no pull outside of their hotel, and even then only select hotels on property hold back some reservations for their concierge. Most similarly priced hotels will have around 3 to 4 really solid restaurants inside their property (the exception being Mexican resorts). Not talking counter service or buffets, but ones with a tailored menu and good atmosphere.

Pools - if there isn't a cocktail server coming by 3 times an hour, they are doing it wrong. (They are usually super friendly and they learn the good tippers.) If a towel sits in the hamper for more than 15 minutes, they are doing it wrong, if your towel looks wet and they don't replace it for you, they are doing it wrong. I know this sounds pretentious but that's the level of service you get at a $350+ night resort. (The exception here being the Bahamas, you're lucky if the cocktail waitress is around once an hour and returns with a drink in less than 20 minutes.) What's sad is that the rooftop pool at my old gym in DC provided better service and kept on top of the pool decks better than Disney does currently.

Front Desk - god, Disney, find some happy workers again. The saving grace here is that pre arrival check-in is now a thing at WDW and you don't have to deal with them often. I find most of the front desk at Disney to be very combative over the last 3-4 years for some reason. Most hotels their front desk staff are way more friendly and have more knowledge of their resorts (how is this still a thing?! how have cast not eaten at their hotel's restaurants? how do they not know the views from most room numbers? These are the things as a front desk manager at WDW we were harping on 10 years ago!) Again, most luxury hotels will get you whatever you need asap, with a cost of course. The answer is "would you like us to charge that to your room?" not, "you can call a taxi/lyft and they will take you to get medicine/food/diapers/etc at Goodings". Streamlined service is also a thing at most of these hotels. "Please go on about your day and we'll have it done by the time you get back" Disney is "Please wait. We need you to stand with me while I figure this out"

Amenities - most have a very nice spa, with a massage/facial readily available. Currently only the Grand has the scale of what other places would consider a spa. Yes other hotels have them, but they are sorta "meh" and you feel like you walked into a gym/nail salon/waxing studio/massage parlor in one kinda place.

Housekeeping - Disney used to be pretty solid here, not sure what happened. Lately rooms have been less clean, sheets are not changed as often, and the housekeeper doesn't recognize long term guest (more than 2 days). Many of them also don't seem responsive to requests. I think they are just spread too thin. Many (but not all) luxury resorts will use teams to clean rooms so they are faster.

I could go on. But I don't want to beat a dead horse. Look, I don't think Disney is totally off the mark here. They are close. It just takes effort and care about the impression guests have. With a few tweaks, they could be forgiven for not being 100% at the level of others, because yes, it's Disney and it's a theme park resort. But the attitude of guests being treated as numbers, and cast not feeling pride in the place (this is really key to a good resort, they should feel proud of the place and treat those staying as people they are excited to entertain). Every few years there seems to be a push for "back to basics" and every few years, it's lost in "keep your rooms full!".

I don’t travel concierge often, so I don’t receive that level of service.. even when paying $300+ per night.
Cocktail servers- totally agree!

I think people have to realize the difference in vacations.. you are paying $300+ at Disney to stay on property and all of the amenities that affords you.

A Cedar Point hotel is over $300 per night and you don’t receive half of that.

It’s interesting to me because right now I am freaking out about a mandatory change of dates to a vacation I have in 2 weeks. Disney is the cheaper option.. by a lot, when I figure in entertainment available, food prices, transportation, and tipping.
Disney-Free parking. No resort fees. Free transportation to and from the airport. Free transportation around the entire resorts and Disney Springs. (“Free”=included)

Problem for me is that I’m cruising out of Miami, and I can’t justify the 2 one way flights, 1 way rental car fees, and $440 + per night for only one day plus a few hours the night before.
If something was available @ 250-300, I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

I guarantee that outside of cocktail servers, I will have a lot less included in my upcoming stay than if I was paying the same for a Disney Resort, and in the end I will spend more.

larandtra

I would agree with the above. Go look up hotels on or near another park or heavily visited tourist attraction offering even close to the same amenities of Disney Deluxe resorts, then you have an apples to apples comparison. Parks that DO have on site hotels with perks, offer the same or even less than Disney does for the same price or more. You cant just say, lets compare it to a 5* Luxury Marriot or Hilton. Thats a ridiculous comparison that doesnt work. Compare it to the same types of hotels on a park property and then youll see, the WDW deluxe resorts, while needing some tweaks, are still as good or better than any other park resort hotel.

21stamps

I would agree with the above. Go look up hotels on or near another park or heavily visited tourist attraction offering even close to the same amenities of Disney Deluxe resorts, then you have an apples to apples comparison. Parks that DO have on site hotels with perks, offer the same or even less than Disney does for the same price or more. You cant just say, lets compare it to a 5* Luxury Marriot or Hilton. Thats a ridiculous comparison that doesnt work. Compare it to the same types of hotels on a park property and then youll see, the WDW deluxe resorts, while needing some tweaks, are still as good or better than any other park resort hotel.

Prices of the “extra-priced” activities should be factored in as well. Disney’s are extremely reasonable comparatively. I know that everyone wants to complain about Disney food prices, but in reality that are also less expensive than most other amusement parks or hotels in similar price range.
All of that should be considered when looking at Disney pricing..
If you want a true concierge experience at many popular resorts/destinations.. you are going to be paying double, plus some, of what you would pay at the vast majority of “Disney Deluxe” rooms. It’s an unfair comparison.

ChrisM

Great post and spot on.

I would say the closest you get to this experience would be at VGF, but even that falls short.

FullSailDan

I don’t travel concierge often, so I don’t receive that level of service.. even when paying $300+ per night.
Cocktail servers- totally agree!

I think people have to realize the difference in vacations.. you are paying $300+ at Disney to stay on property and all of the amenities that affords you.

A Cedar Point hotel is over $300 per night and you don’t receive half of that.

I don't see beaming reviews for Hotel Breakers either. People pay it because they have to. I'd compare Cedar Point more to a ski lodge than Disney. (I know it seems weird but its a season park, in a relatively dead area otherwise.) I'd say Cedar Point is definitely pushing their rates for what they can, but they have a relatively shorter season to generate revenue.

In terms of amenities offered by being on site, I think at one time you could argue it. Today, you get Magical Express, early fastpasses and transportation. I think a lot could be done to make that last one a lot better.

Let's also not forget that Disney pushes themselves in the convention and business meeting market pretty heavily to keep those luxury rooms full. I've had my staff get offers and quotes to hold some of our annual meetings and stuff out there and we just get way better pricing and a better hotel experience at some place like the world center Marriott. Or dare I say it.... the swan and dolphin!!! On site, cheaper rates, better service, good spa, good poolside cabanas, and all the access of Disney resort....

TrojanUSC

In terms of amenities offered by being on site, I think at one time you could argue it. Today, you get Magical Express, early fastpasses and transportation. I think a lot could be done to make that last one a lot better.

Early Fastpasses are only a thing because Disney decided they wanted their guests to plan out trips months in advance. Five years ago you could get a Fastpass for any ride on any day you wanted by visiting that attraction. It's a benefit borne out of Disney's own belief people want to plan the minutiae of their trips way in advance.

People keep comparing that flagship Disney hotels with Cedar Fair. This isn't a reasonable comparison. Walt Disney World is probably the most famous family vacation destination in the world. It offers 21 hotels specifically for the purpose of allowing guests to choose the type of stay they want, whether it be high-end luxury or more mid-range. For those willing to fork over $600-800/night, the level of service Disney provides is frankly, embarrassing. At no other hotel in the world do you pay that price only to find undertrained front desk staff, concierges who look at you funny when you ask for help booking off-site restaurants or excursions, the inability to contact the hotel's own front desk from your room and beyond lacking pool service.

One issue, frankly, is the way Disney staffs. The majority of their front-line cast are College Program students. When they are accepted, they are given a generic role "front desk host." From there, they are assigned to a hotel randomly. This is not how it should work. Disney should be working to recruit only the best of the best for their flagship hotels, either from College Program or hiring externally. It's not so hard to have a secondary interview or a quick glance at someone's resumé to see if they have previous hospitality experience. The level of service you experience checking into the Four Seasons or Waldorf is, frankly, staggering compared to what you get at a Disney deluxe hotel.

larandtra

On the flip side you are wanting to compare Disney Deluxe resorts to 5* Hotels that are not on properties and have parks involved. Its apples to oranges, yet you dont want to compare it to what Cedar Fair offers. OK, then compare it to Universals hotels, which are actually Loews hotels. See, again, apples to oranges and you are just trying to find something to complain about by sticking a square stick in a round hole and mad it doesnt fit. At A Waldorf, not associated with a resort property, I EXPECT professionals. Thats how they have to sell themselves because they dont have the park aspect. Disney has other things to offer in addition to etc etc. I dont understand why some people can be so hard headed. Are the deluxe resorts overrated somewhat? Absolutely which is why I generally stay at Port Orleans. But, Ive gotten great AP discount rates at Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Animal Kingdom lodge. I know what Im getting for the money. Again, apples to oranges is what you are doing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The Hilton nearby offers all these things and charges less than Disney for a superior hotel experience.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Early Fastpasses are only a thing because Disney decided they wanted their guests to plan out trips months in advance. Five years ago you could get a Fastpass for any ride on any day you wanted by visiting that attraction. It's a benefit borne out of Disney's own belief people want to plan the minutiae of their trips way in advance.

People keep comparing that flagship Disney hotels with Cedar Fair. This isn't a reasonable comparison. Walt Disney World is probably the most famous family vacation destination in the world. It offers 21 hotels specifically for the purpose of allowing guests to choose the type of stay they want, whether it be high-end luxury or more mid-range. For those willing to fork over $600-800/night, the level of service Disney provides is frankly, embarrassing. At no other hotel in the world do you pay that price only to find undertrained front desk staff, concierges who look at you funny when you ask for help booking off-site restaurants or excursions, the inability to contact the hotel's own front desk from your room and beyond lacking pool service.

One issue, frankly, is the way Disney staffs. The majority of their front-line cast are College Program students. When they are accepted, they are given a generic role "front desk host." From there, they are assigned to a hotel randomly. This is not how it should work. Disney should be working to recruit only the best of the best for their flagship hotels, either from College Program or hiring externally. It's not so hard to have a secondary interview or a quick glance at someone's resumé to see if they have previous hospitality experience. The level of service you experience checking into the Four Seasons or Waldorf is, frankly, staggering compared to what you get at a Disney deluxe hotel.

The average Hilton/Marriott blows away the check in experience WRT any Disney resort recently - the hostile front desk staffing issue began around 2012 or so coincidently just when the new computer systems started to show up. One wonders if the two are related.

larandtra

What does the Hilton offer? You dont get EMH anymore and the Hilton if you mean the one down by Springs is a absolutely awful. They are old smelly rooms in a sanitized hotel with 2 below average bars, worse transportation to Disney parks than Disney offers, they charge you a ridiculous property fee and to park daily and the cheapest Ive seen rooms are 175-250/ night NOT including the fees.
Now if you said Bonnet Creek, Id say the hotels there are top shelf, but, again, no EMH, equivalent shuttle service, but again, they dont have to worry about being PART of the complex. Part of the resort. So still apples to oranges.

21stamps

I’m blown away. Comparing WDW resorts to another Amusement Park Resort is “not comparable”.

But comparing Disney World Resort to a Hilton not on a park property is “comparable”?

Ok then.
(BTW- you still have LESS included in your stay than you do at a wdw resort)

peter11435

The average Hilton/Marriott blows away the check in experience WRT any Disney resort recently - the hostile front desk staffing issue began around 2012 or so coincidently just when the new computer systems started to show up. One wonders if the two are related.
I have to agree with all of this. Only I would probably say that the check in experience went downhill a couple years even before that.

It's unfortunate because checking in is one of the most exciting aspects of the beginning of a WDW vacation. And at least in my experience the front desk cast members lately are rarely friendly or knowledgeable.

I still find the overall WDW resort experience to be superior to most other hotels though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom