Changes to Photo Pass/Private Shoot

College_Fellow

Original Poster
I have reservations for a photo session at Grand Floridian on 9-20 and was told nothing about what is attached below. Also per the info since I bought the cd and reserved the photo shoot before Setember 1st this will hurt me.I think it is good info fo anyone who is planning to have a photo shoot or buy a cd.

Source- http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disneysphotopass/

Disney Resorts Private Photo Shoot - You can arrange for private 30 minute photo sessions with a Disney's PhotoPass photographer at the Grand Floridian, Beach Club, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge or Saratoga Springs Resort. The sessions includes around 40 photos (limited only by time) taken around the picturesque resorts and their beaches. NEW! Please note that as of September 1, 2008, Portrait sessions at the resorts are a separate entity from the Disney's PhotoPass system in the theme parks. While both Parks and Portraits use the same system for their photos, they are separate products. As such, the pricing structure has changed dramatically. There is no longer a discount specifically for guests who pre-order Disney's PhotoPass. Guests who pre-order the PhotoCD or purchase it within the theme parks can reserve a Portraits session for $74.95 with proof of purchase (either email or receipt). Guests wishing to purchase only the Portraits session on CD can do so for $149.95. Alternatively guests who purchase the Portraits session but then wish to combine photos from the Parks may do so by bringing their CD and PhotoPass cards to any resort location for a fee of $49.95 (bringing the total to roughly $200). Note that Disney's PhotoPass enhancements will not be available for Portrait session photos or any photos from the theme parks combined with it. Additionally, guests will no longer have the option of receiving their Portrait session photos on a Disney's PhotoPass card. However, any guest who had booked their session prior to September 1 will be able to continue to take advantage of the lower rate and be able to add Portrait session photos to their Disney's PhotoPass. Reports from guests who have participated in the photo sessions are overwhelmingly positive. Available times are seasonal, starting daily at 8 am until 7 pm or sunset, whichever comes first. Call 407-824-1700 to make reservations up to 30 days in advance or for additional information.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Thanks for the info.

Yes, it's expensive, but it makes sense. Do you know how expensive portrait sessions are???

Kashyyyk

They will honour the reduced price if you had already purchased your CD, but not yet booked the session. After reading your post, I called to see if it was still possible to book.

I had pre-purchased my CD prior to September 1st, but had not yet booked my private session. I was planning to do it this weekend as I finalize my plans for my trip. When I saw this I phoned the photo-pass department. They said it wasn't a problem and booked my session for $25. We go in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the heads up. :wave:

fngoofy

Now they can charge you more as you waste your money!!!! Just another lets stick it to them. IMO of course!

How does an optional service qualify as "another lets stick it to them" item?

If you don't want it, don't order it, no need to be so negative. Many don't find it a waste of money or they would not offer the service.

Unplugged

If you don't want it, don't order it, no need to be so negative. Many don't find it a waste of money or they would not offer the service.

I agree completely. Often Disney and other companies wrap optional services like this into other options (PhotoPass) for the first year or few years to determine the interest level, value, and work the kinks out of the system. For example, the first year the photo CD was offered for the PP was $99, last year the same thing cost me $149. Obviously the demand was high and they felt the kinks were out of the system. Admittedly they were as the first year it was a very manual process and through a different department than it is now done through.

The idea of having a portrait session done at Disney is interesting to many including my family, though not something you'd do every year. It also happens to be less expensive than a local professional photographer would charge (in the Chicago area anyway).

Good post College_Fellow. I hat to say, but I wasn't aware of the portrait shoots at all though we have been using PhotoPass since it started.

DABIGCHEEZ

I don't.... I will not and I did go back and doublecheck I did write IMO. I will make it bigger so everyone can see it next time.:brick:

sweetpee_1993

For those interested in booking the photopass photo sessions, even at the increased rate, it is still a good price. My family did an hour long private session with Disney's professional photography services (think the pros they send to do people's wedding portraits) last December in the Magic Kingdom and spent well, well above what these photopass rates are. We had planned to do professional family portraits prior to the trip and decided to combine them so the cost was anticipated with no surprises. The pictures we ended up with were no less than breathtaking but again, the cost of the sitting fee and portrait order was over a thousand dollars. And no, the portraits done by the professional photography services cannot be purchased on CD in a printable quality/format. I think what the photopass people are offering is a less-expensive alternative at a great value. I'd love to see some of the pics they've produced in these sessions. :)

Doug7856

. . . I'd love to see some of the pics they've produced in these sessions. :)

I have seen some of the pictures posted. To me there is great value in $25, even $50, but the quality I've seen is definitely not worth more. The price explosion for the modest quality is just not worth paying. We had considered using the service for our November trip but have decided that for the cost and modest quality we'll just use a tripod and probably get just as good portraits. Just my opinion though.

NewfieFan

Ok, this is the part confusing me...

Note that Disney's PhotoPass enhancements will not be available for Portrait session photos or any photos from the theme parks combined with it.

If I have the pre-purchased CD, so do my pictures get added to that CD or do they give me another CD now for the photo session? And I can't add borders etc. to my pictures now?

Gorjus

You get 2 separate CD's. The portrait one you get at the end of the photo shoot. The park one you can get at the end of your trip either at a camera center or at home. If you get it at the camera center, there will be no enhancements. If you order it from home you can enhance the photos before you order it and your cd will contain enhanced and original photos.

NewfieFan

You get 2 separate CD's. The portrait one you get at the end of the photo shoot. The park one you can get at the end of your trip either at a camera center or at home. If you get it at the camera center, there will be no enhancements. If you order it from home you can enhance the photos before you order it and your cd will contain enhanced and original photos.

Thank you Gorjus! So, the portrait one is, as is? We get the pics on the CD after the shoot and that's it, correct!?!

Do you think the photo session is worth it - or can you say?:lookaroun
I'll tell you this trip is a pretty big deal for our family. I'm traveling with my own family (hubby & 2 kids), my parents, and my brother. This kind of trip may never happen again - it's pretty much the trip of a lifetime for all of us! My parents and my brother haven't been to the "World" in 15 years and it's been almost 2 years since both my parents and I have seen my brother. Basically, what I'm saying is... this trip is an important one and we'd like to have it documented in photos! It's hard to get good family shots, especially with young children involved!

And would you recommend one resort over the other (in terms of the background) or does it matter!?!

KeithVH

So I'm doubting the Portrait session will provide images of sufficient quality (image density and size) to replace a regular Senior picture photo shoot?

Considering an average package around here runs $200-300, we're thinking an ons-ite shoot would be worth the money. But not sure whether to engage professional services or this new feature.

Gorjus

As for image density and size, it is the FULL size digital image you are purchasing. You could blow it up to a poster size if you wanted without much grain. It is 6.3 MP with around 2000x3000 resolution.

As for which resort to choose...it all depends on your preference. I haven't seen photos from all the resorts yet, so I can't say which is prettier.

Since this is such a big family trip, I would go for it. There are good photographers there, and if by chance you run into one that isn't that great, ask for a re-shoot. They wouldn't be in portraits if they didn't take nice photos. My issue with some of the portrait photographers is their ability to turn a stubborn, I'm not smiling child; or an I've got a fake smile child and make them smile naturally while looking at the camera.

If anyone wants some creative photos but doesn't want to spend the money on a portrait shoot, head to Epcot World Showcase some afternoon and look for a photographer just wandering around. Ask them if they are a "rover". Then tell them that you want to get a nice family photo, not necessarily with Disney things in the background. Is there some place near by you could all walk to and do some nice photos. Japan has some great spots as does France and Canada. If the photographer has a line, they won't be able to spend a lot of time with you, but if they don't, you might get 15 minutes with them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom