Changes to Peter Pan's Flight at Magic Kingdom

ToTBellHop

Low capacity, high demand from the families going to the park, part of the whole mess that is Genie+/Lightning Lane...the perfect storm

Magic Kingdom Fantasyland desperately needs at least double the amount of classic busbars it has now.
I hate Pinocchio (the movie) but love his Daring Journey. Bring that over!

Bocabear

I think that whole Disneyland New Fantasyland project was Tony Baxter's baby...which included at that time adding Pinocchio...and a completely redone Mr Toad including it's English Manor Facade... So cute and well done....
1715384219172.png

WaltWiz1901

I would love to see them add a few new attractions to Fantasyland... Alice, Pinocchio, Bring back Mr. Toad...of the new Fantasy Springs rides, the Tangled ride is very sweet...but just missing some tension with the villain....
Maybe taking over the Circus area and adding a few things over there would be the way to go...
In an ideal world they would rip out Pete's silly side show, Gaston's tavern, and the bathrooms there (would need to find new place for bathrooms). Then build 2 bridge over the road to the utilidors in a way that guests wouldn't know they were on a bridge. I present New New Fantasyland!

I found room there for Pinocchio (DLR), Red Rose Tavern (DLR), Alice (DLR), Pan (DLR), Toad (DLR), and Tangled (TDS). Maybe another C ticket dark ride could take Pan's place. This did involve a slight re-route of the WDWRR and some movement of ponds.
Just a thought, and I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here...should another Fantasyland expansion come, how about we focus on putting some legitimately new attractions into whatever available space there is and not just waste it by jigsawing in clones of pre-existing builds? The Magic Kingdom is not Disneyland and shouldn't endeavor to be every bit like Disneyland

eddie104

Just a thought, and I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here...should another Fantasyland expansion come, how about we focus on putting some legitimately new attractions into whatever available space there is and not just waste it by jigsawing in clones of pre-existing builds? The Magic Kingdom is not Disneyland and shouldn't endeavor to be every bit like Disneyland
Yes thank you someone finally said it..let each park stand on their own.

splah

i find it interesting that the physically smaller size of the older attractions show buildings lends itself to the warmth of nostalgia and being enveloped in the ride. MMRR and ROTR and the new peter pan they're all technological marvels but they feel like they're missing that up close human one-on-one scale.

Tha Realest

i find it interesting that the physically smaller size of the older attractions show buildings lends itself to the warmth of nostalgia and being enveloped in the ride. MMRR and ROTR and the new peter pan they're all technological marvels but they feel like they're missing that up close human one-on-one scale.
I’m going to start the new Peter Pan Neverland Island of Adventure.

Bocabear

Thing is, we need more attractions... More attractions that are not blockbuster E tickets, but the more charming offerings that the original Disneyland and WDW dark rides brought to the experience... Disneyland des that so very well. Tney don't need to copy the rides verbatim, but an Alice In Wonderland dark ride where Pooh currently sits, next to the Tea Cups would have made so much sense... Pooh somewhere else also would have made so much sense... a huge part of the charm of Disneyland's Fantasyland is the jigsaw-ed in nature of the area... attractions everywhere it seems...
While I would love to have a bunch more E tickets in the park, we seem to be out of room (except for that waste of a circus tent area)...Adding a few new charming dark rides would be great. Alice has never had any more representation in the park than a teacups flat ride. Pinocchio has nothing. We no longer have Snow White's Scary Adventures. We have a very short, very crowded Peter Pan... So, don't copy exactly what Disneyland has, but Disneyland's formula works... More dark rides...Keep Fantasyland based in the classic tales...and while they are at it, bring the fully designed facades that now every other Disney theme park has... and most of all, look at what the early Imagineers did with scale and content... Cinematically designed micro environments that beautifully captured the mood and feeling... We don't need a Pinocchio "land" but a beautiful facade and charming ride... multiple rides... Take back Fairytale hall for an attraction and move the M&G somewhere else...

ToTBellHop

DL FL >>>>>>>> MK FL
And the interesting thing is that it’s a combination of small things more than big things. I’d probably prefer Casey, Jr. and Storybook Land instead of Mermaid, for example. The unknowable factor, however, is how much of DL Fantasyland’s charm is simply due to all of these things being classics at this point. Not sure how the average person would respond to Storybook Land being plopped down in 2024. As it is, people complain about how many Mermaid figures are not AAs while having no problem with that on Snow White or Pinocchio out west.

ToTBellHop

I still think it is ridiculous that they didn't include that (or add some other small dark ride) with the Fantasyland expansion. Plenty of space there and adding another minor ride would have really changed the dynamic of how that expansion was received.
It boggles my mind that they instead built two meet and greet areas that are each as big as a Fantasyland dark ride.

erasure fan1

how much of DL Fantasyland’s charm is simply due to all of these things being classics at this point. Not sure how the average person would respond to Storybook Land being plopped down in 2024. As it is, people complain about how many Mermaid figures are not AAs while having no problem with that on Snow White or Pinocchio
I agree. Those classic dark rides have a charm for sure. But now people expect more out of something new. And in mermaids case, it's a letdown for a few reasons. The biggest issue is the queue. It's a master class in theming in my opinion. It looks so good that you just assume the inside will match the outside. Then you get on the ride and it's a very simplistic ride with one good AA.

AEfx

Yep @danlb_2000 spotted this last night - possibly FX lighting?

I hope so. I was shocked when I first went to Disneyland like 15 years ago and saw how much just the fiber optic stars and such really added to the attraction, and was dumbfounded that they hadn't done the same at the MK. I mean, that stuff is really cheap - you can do your kid's ceiling for a few hundred bucks, its such an inexpensive technology that is just so impactful.

AEfx

I think that whole Disneyland New Fantasyland project was Tony Baxter's baby...which included at that time adding Pinocchio...and a completely redone Mr Toad including it's English Manor Facade... So cute and well done....View attachment 784821

As someone who grew up with the metal fair tent stuff we always had at the MK, that was one of the most shockingly delightful things about Disneyland for me the first time. Their Fantasyland truly feels like you are wandering the neighborhood that the characters "lived" in - you turn a corner, and there is the Wicked Queen's castle, another Mr. Toad's Mansion, and then you stumble upon Alice. It is just so magical.

Bocabear

two good AAs... The Ariel and Ursula are both pretty great... The ride needed a better resolution and ending and it would have been great... that said it is longer and better if actually compared to the original Snow White ride and Peter Pan is laughably short... For the most popular ride in Fantasyland, it should be a longer better attraction. The new Fantasy Springs dark rides are cute...I did not care much for the Peter Pan's TVLand Adventure, but the other two were cute... The Tangled ride, while very beautiful seemed to suffer from the same thing we have seen before where it is just a little too short and for a book report ride, completely misses the villain which creates the tension in the film.
Maybe everyone today just wants instagrammable fluff.... but the older dark rides seemed to create an awful lot of magic with a smaller footprint, no AAs, no screens, and much lower budgets....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom