Changes in store for Fantasmic?

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Original Poster
From Screamscape:

Fantasmic Rehab -Rumor- (4/16/04) I've been attempting to chase down this rumor for several weeks and while it is still just a rumor at this point, I feel good enough about it to bring it to light. This will be happy news to anyone who is a fan of the Disneyland show over the Florida version because Pocahontas may finally be removed from the show and rightfully replaced with a similar Peter Pan act as seen at Disneyland. To do this, the show will have to add Hook's ship to the mix sometime during a planned rehab this fall. Anyone know more?

Well, this is one good thing to hear, because Disneyland's version of Fantasmic! beats our version any day, and the Peter Pan act was cool. :)

RU42

LOL - that's funny. When at DL at the end of March, me and another Magic'er was told that Pocahontas was coming to DL and they were dropping Peter Pan.

2 sides of the country and 2 completely different rumors. If one of them has to come true I sure hope it is yours.

RU

xfkirsten

LMAO! Yes, I remember that guy... I think every bit of "inside info" he acted like he had was just regurgitated from old rumors. I was waiting for the "Matterhorn is gonna fall into the lagoon" rumor to come up. ;)

-Kirsten

xfkirsten

Originally posted by Disney2002
I REALLY look forward to the end of the horrid pocahontas portion. Really drags the show down.

I agree, wholeheartedly. That scene is quite possibly the biggest reason why I love DL's Fantasmic so much more than WDW's.

-Kirsten

Bill

Account Suspended
Personally, I like the DL show better in ALL Aspects. The fireworks are closer, there's more real stuff on stage (not just a bunch of mist screens) and the Pirate Ship. And I actually like the idea of it being presented without the bleechers. lol. But that's just me. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree with Bill - the MGM (oops-Disney Studios..) version relies too much on the mist screens. They are very effective, but get boring after a while. If anything, loose the video of Mickey in the cave of wonders-it goes on far too long when something could be happening on the stage instead (unless the snake takes long to prep.... in which case put something on the water!

Be interesting to see if they go the Peter Pan route how they deal with the Mark Twain... stick some sails on Steamboat Willie??:lol:

MagicalMonorail

I like the Pocahontas part! It was the first part of the show that touched me. After the battle, when Pocahontas and John Smith reach out their hands and the music plays, I feel moved. The whole scene isn't that great but that part just moves me. I haven't seen DL's version but I hear its good.

cherrynegra

Well, with me I guess that makes three people who like the Pocahantas portion of MGM's Fantasmic. I like DL's Peter Pan version, but between the two I prefer Pocahantas.

All4Gemini

I do enjoy some of the music in the Pocahontas scene, but other than that I would prefer Peter Pan over Pocahontas. The first time I saw Disney Studios' Fantasmic I was like "Pocahontas? Of all the things they could do they picked Pocahontas?"

xfkirsten

Out of curiosity, I have a question for those who like the Pocahontas part (seeing has how many people hate it so much):

What about it makes it better for you? MagicalMonorail pointed out what he liked about it, what about everyone else? Also, if you have seen both DLs and WDW's versions, what in particular about the Peter Pan sequence makes you prefer the Pocahontas sequence?

-Kirsten

news4fan

I've never seen the DL version but I think the Pochantas part is great because it incorporates a relatively recent Disney film and it's interestingly woven into the Fantasmic storyline. (I'm not sure wether it fits, but I still like it.)

Disney2002

Originally posted by marni1971
I agree with Bill - the MGM (oops-Disney Studios..) version relies too much on the mist screens. They are very effective, but get boring after a while. If anything, loose the video of Mickey in the cave of wonders-it goes on far too long when something could be happening on the stage instead (unless the snake takes long to prep.... in which case put something on the water!

Be interesting to see if they go the Peter Pan route how they deal with the Mark Twain... stick some sails on Steamboat Willie??:lol:

I think a lot of the overly long mist scenes probably are used to cover set changes.

cherrynegra

Originally posted by xfkirsten
Out of curiosity, I have a question for those who like the Pocahontas part (seeing has how many people hate it so much):

What about it makes it better for you? MagicalMonorail pointed out what he liked about it, what about everyone else? Also, if you have seen both DLs and WDW's versions, what in particular about the Peter Pan sequence makes you prefer the Pocahontas sequence?

-Kirsten

Well, I have to admit that I'm one of the few, very very few, who love the Pocahantas film. So when I first saw Fantasmic at MGM, I was extremely elated to see my girl's story up there. I downloaded the video of Fantasmic and watched it again. I think the action elements are fine. But I do get teary eyed when they stand on the rock and the music swells and.....and....and.....WAHHHHHHHHHHHH:cry:

Sorry. Got caught up in the moment.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by gregburg
We are going in October. Will Fantasmic be done for rehab then?

It's rumored right now, but if it does happen, I would think it would have the rehab in early October, maybe even Novemeber.

AndyP

I'm a huge fan of Fantasmic, It is BY FAR my favourite show, as long as it is improved, sounds good to me, providing they don't close it to change it while I'm there! :lol: Peter Pan part of Fantasmic does sound VERY COOL though!:sohappy: Does anyone have pictures of the peter pan part from the DisneyLand show they could possibly post so i could see it ?

sniggle74

I cannot comment on the Pan portion of Fantasmic! (seeing that I haven't been to DL since I was wee young boy). However, I can comment on the Pocahontas portion. I do enjoy it...and the reason has been brought up many times before. It's that connection between John Smith and Pocahontas. I always get emotional when it comes to heart-felt portions of productions. Heck, I get a little moved when I hear the swelling music at the end of SpectroMagic....and don't even get me started on Illuminations (that show just pulls at every string in my heart).

The action is OK....I'm sure there's a tad bit more action in Pan - which I would love to see. Could it also possibly happen that they do not use Pan and come up with another total different scene? If that's the case....what would it be? My choice - Robin Hood...or a mesh or different classics.

Sir Hiss527

Aw man, now I'm going have to wait what feels like the longest time for this...I really hope this happens, Peter Pan is one of my favorite movies, and it has awesome music, etc. Pocahontas part is ok in the show, but it's not one of my favorite movies..Thanks for the greats news NemoRocks.

I'll be waiting...:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom