Changes coming to Kali River?

goofyguy

Original Poster
Today I was at the Animal Kingdom doing a few laps around the park. (Part of my exercise regime involves going to AK or Epcot a couple of times a week and doing a few brisk laps around the park). Anyway, as I was passing the Everest area, I noticed a group of Disney employees having a discussion. Now what caught my eye about these people was: (1) They weren’t dressed like either hourly cast members or the management-types you normally see roaming around. Although not in shorts, the were wearing casual clothes; (B) They weren’t wearing the ubiquitous name tags. Instead they seemed to have what looked to be an ID card on a lanyard; and (Finally) They all were carrying pads on which they seemed to be taking notes. And at least one had a pocket full of every type of writing utensil imaginable (perhaps for making sketches?).

Now so far, there’s really nothing too unusual about the group. Just not the usual Disney employees I’m used to seeing in the park. However, what really caught my attention was that as I was passing, one of the gentlemen was saying the following: “… then it would be just like every other raft ride in every other park – that’s what we’re trying to avoid here. What else can we do?”

Unfortunately they weren’t in an area where I could eavesdrop without being obvious, and on my next lap around there were gone. I’ll be the first to admit that this could have been nothing more than idle conversation among cast members, however, the meeting seemed much more serious than that to me.

Anyway, I just thought I would share that little tiny bit of information (or non-information as the case may be). Let the wild speculation begin!

NemoRocks78

Seized
Odd....very odd.....:lookaroun

Perhaps they might have actually been discussing the old Brother Bear raft ride rumor for the Canada pavilion?

Steamboat_Kevin

Very interesting, GoofyGuy. Thanks for sharing. :sohappy: I wouldn't mind a few theming changes to Kali River Rapids, otherwise I hope they don't change it much :)

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Hmmm... Overheard from important-looking folks in the park? I think I know what's coming. Get ready for HARRY POTTER AND THE RAPIDS OF KALI RIVER!

:animwink:

Testtrack321

goofyguy said:
Today I was at the Animal Kingdom doing a few laps around the park. (Part of my exercise regime involves going to AK or Epcot a couple of times a week and doing a few brisk laps around the park). Anyway, as I was passing the Everest area, I noticed a group of Disney employees having a discussion. Now what caught my eye about these people was: (1) They weren’t dressed like either hourly cast members or the management-types you normally see roaming around. Although not in shorts, the were wearing casual clothes; (B) They weren’t wearing the ubiquitous name tags. Instead they seemed to have what looked to be an ID card on a lanyard; and (Finally) They all were carrying pads on which they seemed to be taking notes. And at least one had a pocket full of every type of writing utensil imaginable (perhaps for making sketches?).

Now so far, there’s really nothing too unusual about the group. Just not the usual Disney employees I’m used to seeing in the park. However, what really caught my attention was that as I was passing, one of the gentlemen was saying the following: “… then it would be just like every other raft ride in every other park – that’s what we’re trying to avoid here. What else can we do?”

Unfortunately they weren’t in an area where I could eavesdrop without being obvious, and on my next lap around there were gone. I’ll be the first to admit that this could have been nothing more than idle conversation among cast members, however, the meeting seemed much more serious than that to me.

Anyway, I just thought I would share that little tiny bit of information (or non-information as the case may be). Let the wild speculation begin!
Did one of them have a huge curly mustache and loads on ear rings on his ears? ;)

goofyguy

Original Poster
Testtrack321 said:
Did one of them have a huge curly mustache and loads on ear rings on his ears? ;)

I did actually look for that, and no, none of them did.

And Mr. Nonacho, I do not know, nor have I ever known any Imagineers (either real or dreamed up in my fevered imagination). :) I'm not insisting Kali IS changing. Merely sharing an overheard bit of conversation that in all likelyhood is meaningless.

SirNim

*jumps to conclusion*

They're going to change the attraction. They're going to DELETE something from it. they're going to delete... the burning deforestation site? or... what else can they get rid of? The drop? they must be getting rid of something...

if you're sure you heard them say exactly what you think you heard them say... ;)

careship

Maybe....just maybe....since there is a rumor about a wet e ticket in the 20K lagoon....maybe they were looking at Kali and as an idea thing...brainstorming...I dunno....

SirNim

I'm thinking... now I'm thinking it has to do with the Brother Bear ride in Canada.

They want to clone GRR and put it in Canada, add in a few AAs, and the Imagineering/WDW team in objecting 'cause they don't want a clone that is found in DAK, DCA, and such. They want a new, unique water ride for Canada.

Thoughts above are personal reflections be SirNim and do not reflect the Truth.

celestia

i saw a similar group of castmembers of that sort in the same area back in march, although they were looking at everest though i think at the time.

but who knows! i would like to see some changes to kali river rapids to make it a bit longer and more enjoyable, although its already a nice ride. I always feel let down though if i wait in the long line for it. it has great themeing though in the ride and queue!

DarkMeasures

Kali needs to be edited to be longer.

But then again, those "CMs" you saw may only be pranksters. One thing is that it would be very very fun to act like an important CM but not be one.

I certainly hope though that Kali is extended around everest and so forth so that the ride is much better than it is now. Especially when the water effects are turned off I still want a good ride.

dxwwf3

NemoRocks78 said:
Perhaps they might have actually been discussing the old Brother Bear raft ride rumor for the Canada pavilion?

I can only hope.

And yes it wouldn't hurt anyone if they decided to make Kali a minute or two longer. But I seriously doubt that would happen. I just think Kali pales in comparison to Popeye over at IOA.

DarkMeasures

But it is funny that last time I was in Florida I got wet on neither.

But Kali needs extensive work and I cant see an attraction taking up the space between Kali and Everest unless Kali was expanded.

Maybe animals will be placed on the side on a long flat section.

Hank Scorpio

Id go with extending the ride if I was too read into what was heard. How cool would it be to have it race off into a cavern that actually took you into Everest.

We have a ride here in England at Alton Towers, which is basically a bog standard river rapids ride - nothing special except for the part where it goes through a cave. The cool thing is that another standard ride - the runaway mine train - goes through the same tunnel and the two meet side by side. It adds a bit of excitement to both rides.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Don`t forget the Alton Towers Rapids is at least twice as long as Kali!

Extending Kali `as is` would basically mean starting from scratch - the ammount of water available, the diameter of the piping, the pump rating, all this is based on a particular length of ride. Any extention would surely mean a separate flume course with the rafts being moved from one to the other and back again. How neat would that be? Imagine a second lift to put you in the new section, and another lift to drop you back in the old one?

BeachClubVillas

cloudboy said:
Spies! Corporate Spies!

That's exactly what I thought! They were probably from Sea World/Universal/Six Flags and discussing how NOT to make a rapids ride by reviewing Kali. I like the ride and all, but the Popeye ride over at IoA is ten times better.

Seriously, though, I hope that they were Disney people discussing making Kali longer and better and/or the Grizzly clone for Canada. That would be awesome!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom