Changes at WDW due to alligator attack (dedicated thread)

21stamps

I think because there is less "natural" area around Crescent Lake as compared to Bay Lake and the 7 Seas Lagoon, alligators wouldn't feel as safe/comfortable there. (Disclaimer: There is no actual scientific / historical / analytical / or even hypothetical evidence to this statement. Just a thought that came out of the "grey stuff" between my ears.)
There isn't a difference... but there's plenty of things that I believe based on my own "gray stuff" too... so it's all good :)

natatomic

I think because there is less "natural" area around Crescent Lake as compared to Bay Lake and the 7 Seas Lagoon, alligators wouldn't feel as safe/comfortable there. (Disclaimer: There is no actual scientific / historical / analytical / or even hypothetical evidence to this statement. Just a thought that came out of the "grey stuff" between my ears.)

I have anecdotal evidence to support that theory. 3 years on that water and I've still seen 0 gators in it. Between it not having a natural outlet, having very few ways to access without having to cross paths of many humans, all the boat traffic (friendships, lake patrol, rentals, firework barges, maintenance boats, etc), and fireworks shooting off every night, I think gators tend to stay away. Now, I've seen pictures posted of gators in some of the retention ponds and canals in the more secluded and quiet spots of Y&B, so I'm sure they aren't too far away at any given moment, but I would think they probably prefer it back there and don't have much desire to be around all the activity on the main waters.
Having said that, I've heard captains tell stories of seeing baby alligators once or twice, like, 10 years ago (which were immediately caught and captured of course), but no one that I am aware of has seen any in that water in many years.

raven

The eldest daughter told the WDW AV/Movie Coordinator about the alligator. The person she told ran to a man whose shirt said “Coordinator” and told him about the alligator." They left and returned later to find out the attack had occurred.

If only a CM had taken action. . .
The coordinator probably DID tell security and possibly they called in the animal control people to handle it. These animal control people have to gather their equipment then drive to the location. All of that could take 45 min to an hour.

raven

There have been alligators spotted in the canal that connects and runs past the Beach Club. People have seen them from their Beach Club Villas/rooms.
They are in most substantial bodies of water in Florida, even in spillway ditches on the sides of roads. I see about 1 a week while driving to and from work. The one in the pond in front of my place has been there for about 5 years and doesn't bother anyone because no one is stupid enough to bother it. So basically they can be anywhere.

mouse_luv

They are in most substantial bodies of water in Florida, even in spillway ditches on the sides of roads. I see about 1 a week while driving to and from work. The one in the pond in front of my place has been there for about 5 years and doesn't bother anyone because no one is stupid enough to bother it. So basically they can be anywhere.

Oh I'm quite aware that they can be anywhere but just did my previous post because there were other posters saying they aren't in Crescent Lake etc..

LongLiveTheKing

Well now that's a pity.
I know what's at stake, but I think most people would agree that the likelihood of gators popping up on that beach is far lower than at the Bay lake resorts.

Guests wouldn't know this, of course.

Has anyone heard of the animals being spotted in these waters?
Disney wants to put the chance of any human - gator interaction as close to zero as possible. They don't like lawsuits and the PR damage they do.

natatomic

Oh I'm quite aware that they can be anywhere but just did my previous post because there were other posters saying they aren't in Crescent Lake etc..

I'm not saying there have never been any in crescent lake (it's florida - I'm sure there have been and will be again), I'm just saying in my three years of driving on that water, I have never seen a single gator. And while I always hear my co-workers mentioning snakes they see (and once, there was an otter everyone talked about for a week!), I've not heard anyone ever mention a gator aside from the ones spotted in the years before I came there. Again, I know it's not impossible for them to be there, but I think they prefer the little canals and retention ponds in the more quiet areas of Y&B and the boardwalk (which DEFINITELY have gator sightings quite frequently).

Tl;dr - gators in crescent lake are of course possible but they are few and far between.

Next Big Thing

Here's what's heartbreaking about all this: According to the report, the attack occurred at "approximately 2100 hours" (9:00 pm).

But beforehand, an alligator (same one?) was reported at about 2015 hours (8:15pm): "Miss ____ [name in report. Not relevant here] was on the beach at approximately 2015 hours with her two daughters, ages 15 and 9. The daughters saw an alligator about 5 feet from shore, near the marsh. The eldest daughter told the WDW AV/Movie Coordinator about the alligator. The person she told ran to a man whose shirt said “Coordinator” and told him about the alligator." They left and returned later to find out the attack had occurred.

If only a CM had taken action. . .
There's only so much a CM can do. The fact that Disney has it in their system as a reported gator sighting means the CM did go through proper protocols. What else do you want him to do in that situation? Go and hunt after it? I think blaming it on a CM is incredibly harsh.

21stamps

I saw one there last week. We were headed to our room during the day and unfortunately there were people feeding it. I let the front desk know.
Here's advice to anyone who witnesses something like that. We all have phones..take a photo of them, and promptly call the police.

Let them pay a fine and maybe they won't do it again.

21stamps

I've yet to see an alligator in the wild and I've lived here for a year. Not that I'm really complaining though ;)
I lived in SoFla for most of my life. Times I saw an alligator outside of alligator alley or on an airboat- ZERO.
Doesn't mean that they weren't there...and I'm not complaining either.
I've been to Costa Rica several times..there's crocodiles everywhere, they are in SoFla too, but I never saw one. I would see them in CR when walking but thankfully have never seen one in the ocean!!!
Fun fact- Surfers in CR have a higher risk of being killed by a croc than they do by a shark.

Last edited:

21stamps

I'm not saying there have never been any in crescent lake (it's florida - I'm sure there have been and will be again), I'm just saying in my three years of driving on that water, I have never seen a single gator. And while I always hear my co-workers mentioning snakes they see (and once, there was an otter everyone talked about for a week!), I've not heard anyone ever mention a gator aside from the ones spotted in the years before I came there. Again, I know it's not impossible for them to be there, but I think they prefer the little canals and retention ponds in the more quiet areas of Y&B and the boardwalk (which DEFINITELY have gator sightings quite frequently).

Tl;dr - gators in crescent lake are of course possible but they are few and far between.
...So are gators in seven seas lagoon near the resort beaches. Rare and few and far between.
There's only so much a CM can do. The fact that Disney has it in their system as a reported gator sighting means the CM did go through proper protocols. What else do you want him to do in that situation? Go and hunt after it? I think blaming it on a CM is incredibly harsh.
The coordinator probably DID tell security and possibly they called in the animal control people to handle it. These animal control people have to gather their equipment then drive to the location. All of that could take 45 min to an hour.
Logic doesn't work on the Internet. It's a failed mission ;)

21stamps

They, and reptiles in general, are why I haven't set out to explore the natural areas of Florida. Which is quite a stark contrast for me because when I lived in the mountains, I'd hike all across the ridges alone and not think twice about a bear.
It's really ok though. People have blown this situation out of proportion. I've said it over and over- random tragedy. We are generally safe.
In SoFla there are crocs, and gators, and pythons, and countless other "dangerous" creatures. We don't live our lives thinking about it..chances are you will never be harmed by one. The same way most people don't think about everything in the ocean that could potentially harm you.

DABIGCHEEZ

It's really ok though. People have blown this situation out of proportion. I've said it over and over- random tragedy. We are generally safe.
In SoFla there are crocs, and gators, and pythons, and countless other "dangerous" creatures. We don't live our lives thinking about it..chances are you will never be harmed by one. The same way most people don't think about everything in the ocean that could potentially harm you.

AMEN to that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom