Changes at WDW due to alligator attack (dedicated thread)

LukaLand

So it's like a real life Marine Life Institute, where animals who are in quarintine are sent to another place to be displayed, except the animals in question aren't sick.

The alligators go to a gator farm when they get to big for Living With The Land where they are eventually slaughtered. Then Disney gets new smaller baby gators to display for a while.

LongLiveTheKing

I'm impressed and I was skeptical.

The new fencing is taking on a look more of a Wharf than a Beach and could be a way for Disney to move forward when describing these areas at their resorts. Re-naming Wharf instead of identifying as a Beach which brings different expectations to many tourists visiting beaches in Florida.
Yes! That's exactly how I feel about it. It reminds me of Paradise Pier in California Adventure and I have zero complains with that. Visually, I love them, and it's at least one more thing at least deterring something from the water from accessing the walkways.

Here is the funny thing.... I'm certainly NOT an Alligator Expert. But I suspect Disney talked to a few of 'em.

Personal GUESS? Those rocks are there to make it very uncomfortable for a ground crawling creature to come UP, as opposed to a guest going DOWN :).
I'm looking very forward to the upcoming photo album that will be posted here soon titled "Family of alligators spotted sun bathing on new Grand Floridian rock barriers."

LongLiveTheKing

The alligators go to a gator farm when they get to big for Living With The Land where they are eventually slaughtered. Then Disney gets new smaller baby gators to display for a while.
They should fillet and ship the gators to Anehiem Disneyland for New Orleans Square to serve grilled alligator at Blue Bayou.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yes! That's exactly how I feel about it. It reminds me of Paradise Pier in California Adventure and I have zero complains with that. Visually, I love them, and it's at least one more thing at least deterring something from the water from accessing the walkways.

I'm looking very forward to the upcoming photo album that will be posted here soon titled "Family of alligators spotted sun bathing on new Grand Floridian rock barriers."

Yeah, me too. Yesterday on twitter I saw photo's, swimming together 2 turtles and a baby gator at the Beach Club Villa's. I wondered where the Mama was.

rawisericho

The barriers are for people. They won't/can't stop a snake or alligator.

1. Yes. There are snakes along that walkway. There is also snakes all over WDW resort. I've never been there and not seen at least..2,6,10, several.
There "could" be a gator anywhere, but chances are - there won't be. No, there is not anything that can be done about it.

2. Camping. There are wild animals in campgrounds. Everywhere in the US. Don't leave out food. If you see a large gator while camping in Florida- report it. A trapper will find and remove it.

Honest question, have you been to WDW before? Or Florida? If the answer is "yes"- don't be anymore afraid now than you were then. :)

Out of curiosity what kind of snakes are there?

DisneyFans4Life

That really looks great and blends in nicely. It's enough of a "statement" to say keep out, but doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Great job Disney!

Seanual757

Saw the new barriers this past weekend we did a quick one night stay at the VGF. I actually like it IMHO it cleans up the dirty shore line so you do not see the weeds or the dark murky water and it fits well with the them of the GF.

As one of my home resorts I am ok with it (not that we have a choice) but Disney did an excellent job. We did observe a family where the kid was trying to climb the fence and a cast member telling the parents they needed to stop the kid from climbing the fence.

We also observed 3 Fish and Wild life boats out in the lagoon patrolling one near the GF, the other by Poly and the other near the canal connecting Bay Lake.

LongLiveTheKing

We did observe a family where the kid was trying to climb the fence and a cast member telling the parents they needed to stop the kid from climbing the fence.
... Really? Like, this family needed a CM to remind them what the purpose of a fence is? Did they not see the jagged rocks that kid was going to hop down onto?

Also, the parents were allowing their kid to climb the fence and watched?!?

Seanual757

... Really? Like, this family needed a CM to remind them what the purpose of a fence is? Did they not see the jagged rocks that kid was going to hop down onto?

Also, the parents were allowing their kid to climb the fence and watched?!?

The parents were right with the kid as allowing the boy to try and climb, the signs, fence, and rocks meant nothing. My wife and I shook our heads but the cast member was quick to address the situation but still I am not surprised and I am sure this happens more often than we know.

I see parents allowing kids to walk the walls on rides while waiting in line and even after cast members ask them to get down I see families letting the kids go back to doing the same thing.

mimitchi33

Water moccasin, banded water snake, coral snakes, eastern diamondback, black racer, garter snake, king snake, ring neck snake... just to name a few we deal with.
My grandfather had a snake that loved to go into the water. Once, it played with the alligator I mentioned earlier.
The parents were right with the kid as allowing the boy to try and climb, the signs, fence, and rocks meant nothing. My wife and I shook our heads but the cast member was quick to address the situation but still I am not surprised and I am sure this happens more often than we know.

I see parents allowing kids to walk the walls on rides while waiting in line and even after cast members ask them to get down I see families letting the kids go back to doing the same thing.
I've also seen kids standing on the barriers in the queue and kicking them. This was a problem at Hershey Park. I just don't get why kids like to kick seats and barriers.

Incomudro

I wonder if similar barriers will be coming to Beach Club, or due to Crescent Lakes more isolated nature - it'll be left as is?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Out of curiosity what kind of snakes are there?

Well you have the coral snake and the water moccasin's to start with, If you are bitten by the coral snake well I hope your affairs are in order. The water moccasin most likely you will live through the experience but where it bit you you will never be the same, Some rattlesnakes and of course lots of milk snakes and other rodent eaters.

Incomudro

Yes, but you practically need to try to get bit by a Coral Snake.
To the point of picking one up. They're secretive things, like to burrow, and are rear fanged with small mouths.
Those Eastern Diamondbacks on the other hand...
*I did some further searching, and it turns out that Coral Snakes are not rear fanged.
But, they do have shorter, fixed fangs - unlike those hypodermic needles that vipers have.

Last edited:

TeriofTerror

Well you have the coral snake and the water moccasin's to start with, If you are bitten by the coral snake well I hope your affairs are in order. The water moccasin most likely you will live through the experience but where it bit you you will never be the same, Some rattlesnakes and of course lots of milk snakes and other rodent eaters.
Well, assuming you seek medical help in a timely manner.
(Pardon me, but I'm feeling a little bitter. I just found out recently that in addition to the other bat-guano crazy beliefs in my family's religion, they also frown upon receiving anti-venom because there are blood platelets present. It's like they look for ways to up the craziness quotient.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom