Changes at WDW due to alligator attack (dedicated thread)

No Name

I am in full support of a better barrier/fence and a better water area. It should be both safe and nice-looking at the same time, and so far, that's what this looks to be.

Thebolt

The new layout looks great. I'd fully expected an intrusive barrier that spoilt the feel of the hotel, but that blends in really well.

TeriofTerror

I saw on Facebook that nets are going up below the bridge to Splash Mountain to keep alligators out. (Please forgive me if this is old news. I had a death in the family this week, and I'm pretty out of the loop.)
I can post a pic, but I don't feel right stealing it from someone else. :)

mf1972

I saw on Facebook that nets are going up below the bridge to Splash Mountain to keep alligators out. (Please forgive me if this is old news. I had a death in the family this week, and I'm pretty out of the loop.)
I can post a pic, but I don't feel right stealing it from someone else. :)
sorry for your loss

fillerup

Got a chuckle out of this tonight walking to the Beach Club around 9pm.

Very large "Beach Area Closed" A-frame signs at every beach access point. And six different groups of guests (I'd say 20 or so total people) enjoying said beach and lounge chairs and swings and kids playing in the sand.

mmnw

Interesting about the nets. I wonder if it's easy for them to eat through?

May I ask two burning questions I've had?

1). The walk from the boats/water to the Contemporary, is that safe? I'm not saying I am afraid to walk it. I'm just curious because I thought there is a fair amount of foliage etc. and I'm wondering if snakes and alligators are near the paths and what might be done about that knowing people are walking it at night when it's dark. Or, is there water nearby on the walk from the MK to Contemporary? I'm assuming I could ask this same question for many of the hotels.

2). Camping- I've never been to the grounds (other than Wilderness Lodge area) so I don't know if water is close. How do they patrol for alligators there if people are camping in tents? I could think of a few hazards there.

Thanks.

21stamps

1). The walk from the boats/water to the Contemporary, is that safe? I'm not saying I am afraid to walk it. I'm just curious because I thought there is a fair amount of foliage etc. and I'm wondering if snakes and alligators are near the paths and what might be done about that knowing people are walking it at night when it's dark. Or, is there water nearby on the walk from the MK to Contemporary? I'm assuming I could ask this same question for many of the hotels.

2). Camping- I've never been to the grounds (other than Wilderness Lodge area) so I don't know if water is close. How do they patrol for alligators there if people are camping in tents? I could think of a few hazards there.

Thanks.
The barriers are for people. They won't/can't stop a snake or alligator.

1. Yes. There are snakes along that walkway. There is also snakes all over WDW resort. I've never been there and not seen at least..2,6,10, several.
There "could" be a gator anywhere, but chances are - there won't be. No, there is not anything that can be done about it.

2. Camping. There are wild animals in campgrounds. Everywhere in the US. Don't leave out food. If you see a large gator while camping in Florida- report it. A trapper will find and remove it.

Honest question, have you been to WDW before? Or Florida? If the answer is "yes"- don't be anymore afraid now than you were then. :)

Jon81uk

Goofyernmost

Thanks.
Usually Alligators avoid people. If there are enough of them around they will stay away or hidden. What happened at the GF was a total fluke. I'm not saying it would never happen again, but, the odds are that it won't. Snakes are a different thing. They do come out in the evening and end up on pavement that is still warm from the day. They are cold blooded so that's were they keep up there body temperature. Just watch for them. If they see you first they will probably disappear before you even notice them.

mmnw

I appreciate people's insights. I wouldn't stay home out of fear. I've always known alligators are around and you need to watch/do things different from what I'm used to. I'm just not a native so I am not around it everyday to know exactly how to answer my questions.

mimitchi33

I appreciate people's insights. I wouldn't stay home out of fear. I've always known alligators are around and you need to watch/do things different from what I'm used to. I'm just not a native so I am not around it everyday to know exactly how to answer my questions.
I agree. We used to visit my grandfather who lived down there (who had many pets) and sometimes an alligator would come to visit us, only to leave. I found it cool because we never had any where I live.

21stamps

Understandable. I'm glad to hear that you will still visit! Florida is a wonderful place, including their wildlife. :)

If it eases your fears at all- There are actual groups in SoFla who are actively hunting/removing Burmese Pythons in the Everglades. Hundreds of people do this. There are actual group hunts where it's over 500 people at a time. I've never heard of one of them being killed by a snake, gator, or croc, and they are at much higher risk than being at WDW. It's actually pretty interesting if you're ever bored and want to google it. :)

bunnyman

Thanks.
I have been camping dozens of times in NYS...bears are a common sight, and usually in groups of three or more. You have to sign a waiver when you check in, and they give you a list of rules and regs a mile long as to how to take care of food, garbage, and yourselves. They can't keep them out, so you have to be on alert at all times. After all, you're intruding on their space!

natatomic

Saw this on Living with the Land today.
My money is on the alligators being taken out all together, though I believe this (in addition to some of the ther changes) would be going overboard.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 237

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom