Changes at DTD

jt04

The "bold new vision" was a mirage.

That should make for a new and interesting backstory!

a little birdie tells me there is a "leaders" meeting on July 15th. Maybe they will finally announce something

Interesting timing. Sounds like an announcement could follow! :D

Guests were peeling the paint off it and it created a bad sight line for that side of the store, so it was removed and put...somewhere. That's the extent of my knowledge on the zebra.

Also, the celebrate tonight dance party will have its last celebration next weekend. No news on what's (not) replacing it though.

Thank goodness. Time for the bold new family friendly DTD!:sohappy:

jt04

Which is... ?

And while your digging two knuckles deep to find that answer... prey tell what made DTD so un-family friendly before??

A whole lot of folks with children avoided the place at night. So something :shrug:

Perhaps it was the "21 and over" signs. Perhaps.

Or perhaps it was the drunks puking over the rails of the bridges and other creative actions. And then there was the death and mayhem on the local roads.

SeaCastle

I believe Pleasure Island is simply irrelevant now. Pleasure Island wasn't met for kids, but once they started coming, it brought its downfall. Now it seems there is nowhere for adults to go out at night in WDW. Once Disney committed to making the place family friendly (with no real exit strategy), and the economy went down the toilet, Pleasure Island is now up the river without a paddle. Any "bold new vision" surely must have included some sort of backup plan, or at least some advanced planning of who was going to be the new tenants.

They're better off just razing the island. Obviously, nothing that will ever be built there will please everyone. While they're demo'ing Pleasure Island, how about they fix the totality of Downtown Disney to offer high-quality goods, lush landscapes, and tranquil surrounds? Something like...the Walt Disney World Village.

toolsnspools

A whole lot of folks with children avoided the place at night. So something :shrug:

Or perhaps it was the drunks puking over the rails of the bridges and other creative actions. And then there was the death and mayhem on the local roads.

I was never in DTD when PI was in its prime, but last Feb we were there late one night, and the flu bug hit my son at the bus stop. Some guy came through too fast for me to keep him from walking right through it, so I stood there feeling embarassed while he headed off toward the Hess station. 5 minutes later he came back with a 12 pack of Keystone, and I realized he was already 3 sheets to the wind. This time I let him walk through it with a smile on my face.

I can't imagine PI packed with guys like this. It must have been a GREAT place to end a happy day at the world. :D

Duckberg

Right on!

To be honest, I enjoyed the Adventurer's Club. It was beyond corny, and not something I needed to visit very often, but it was fun & interesting.

My problem is the small number of rabid fans are acting like Disney is so evil or stupid for getting rid of it.
When clearly there are reasons AC and the other clubs are gone.

Did you people do your part to keep the clubs open?

My girlfriend (now wife) and I would always stay at PI until closing. We drank our off!
Believe me, if all guests spent like us, instead of closing, they'd have instead doubled the # of clubs on PI.
But we didn't seem to be the typical PI guest. It was full of Looky Loos and bar rookies. Not the type that equals alcohol sales.

Concerning AC, we went in there maybe 5 times, never seemed too busy. Certainly not the bars. Even when there were people in there, we never had to wait for a cocktail. Many guests weren't drinking. You'd see some couples buy a single drink and nurse it through the night. I'd comment that this might be the first time they'd ever been in a lounge. Nothing wrong with that, probably good solid citizens......... just not very profitable for the club. Especially considering all the performers they had to pay to entertain these nerds......... I mean (people). :lookaroun

Disney got it wrong with Pleasure Island. They missed their target market. It was time for them to cut their losses. They did.
Now they're forced to come up with a new plan. I'll patiently wait and see what comes of it.

Complaining about every little new addition to Downtown Disney may make some feel better. Saying your gonna "Pack up your toys, and never play again at DD" may seem like the right move. But it does absolutely no good.

There's no way Disney's happy with the present day PI.
But that doesn't mean they're gonna bring back the past. That plan already failed. (Although the AC Dinner Theatre idea is very interesting.)

Wait and see.

Worldfanatic GOOD post! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy: Duckberg :D

Mouse Detective

Now it seems there is nowhere for adults to go out at night in WDW.

And this is a serious "lacking" for a place so large and populated as Walt Disney World. "Family Friendly" should mean something for everyone, not everything for everyone. Adults who are looking for nightlife should not have to drive off-premises to find that. The revenue loss here has been tremendous.

SeaCastle

And this is a serious "lacking" for a place so large and populated as Walt Disney World. "Family Friendly" should mean something for everyone, not everything for everyone. Adults who are looking for nightlife should not have to drive off-premises to find that. The revenue loss here has been tremendous.

Much truth contained in this post. :wave:

jt04

This is easily corrected by creating a PI-esque facility in an isolated area away from family areas.

sittle

Surprise, generalities sprinkled in with assumptions... It's amazing how you champion this "bold new vision" almost from an insiders view... yet you have nothing to offer in terms of hard facts and accurate information. I would figure that someone who's so pro-demolition of PI would have some sort of accurate view of the "bold new vision".

DTD does note feature "21 and over signs", PI did... 3 points.

DTD is family friendly, PI is more for adults... Adults can tie one on at midday in Rainforest Cafe or Raglan Road and barf all over the lego store displays just as easily as they can leaving Mannequins at 1 or 2 in the morning (when few children (under the age of 16) would be out) ... If people wanna get drunk at Disneyworld, it can be done with or without PI...

Death and Mayhem on the roads... how is it any better now? People leaving bars would be doing so later in the evening, outside of rush hour travel times... just from an odds and ratios stand point, there are much less people on the road. Most road fatalities occur during peak traffic volume due to driver error.

The argument you make for the encouraged demolition of PI is laughable and flimsy, at best, and obviously not tethered to any semblance of reality...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom