Changes at Chef Mickey's

forevermickey

I'm still waiting for the day when all of the meet and greets will be photo pass only, you know, so line will go faster and be a better quality experience.

Boy do I miss the old Chef Mickey's at Disney Village.
I think I have a picture of my "late" Nanny and I at the one that was in the village!

ScorpionX

I might not eat at Chef Mickey's ever again because of this. The restaurant is named after him! They should rename the place "The Disney Diner" because of this.

CheshireKat

As if I needed another reason to skip character meals going forward. We did 3 on the last trip, and the majority of characters spent about 8 seconds at our table. Complete waste of money.

I totally agree, not to mention the icky food. We way overdid it on the character meals this time, and I'm through as well. Next time, the kids can pick 1 they really want to go to and no more!

On a side note, I was actually shocked how much they charge for those photos (29.95)- if they brought the price down a bit they might make up for in volume.

The cast members would take pictures with our camera, but to put it kindly, their heart or brains aren't really in it. We have had tops of heads cut off (just turn the camera please!) and they snap quick, so don't always expect your best pose! Oh well, at least they let us use our own camera (in contrast our local mall will not take your pic with Santa with your camera or let you use your own camera)!

muteki

At Tusker House before we have just handed our camera over to get pictures of Donald out front, the pictures were just as good and didn't cost 10 dollars (or however much it is). If this change becomes permanent, I imagine we will just do the same. But Chef Mickey's isn't a fave, there is plenty else out there to choose from that is better.

marlaine8

We were at CM last Wed. Mickey was in the front for pictures only. It made my DS upset that he wouldn't be visiting the table. We did not take the picture at all. The hostess seemed a little put off about it. I just can't spend $29.95 on a picture packet when we already buy the photopass CD.
(By the way, as expected, the food was the worst of the trip, but we had a great waitress and a wonderful time!)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
We were at CM last Wed. Mickey was in the front for pictures only. It made my DS upset that he wouldn't be visiting the table. We did not take the picture at all. The hostess seemed a little put off about it. I just can't spend $29.95 on a picture packet when we already buy the photopass CD.
(By the way, as expected, the food was the worst of the trip, but we had a great waitress and a wonderful time!)

Complain to guest relations at any park, let hem know that this decision will affect your expenditures at WDW.

drew81

Original Poster
Complain to guest relations at any park, let hem know that this decision will affect your expenditures at WDW.

I'm starting to think this might be permanent. To me, this entertainment manager cares more about selling photos than character safety or the guests who are already spending a lot of money to eat with the characters.

I have no issue with them wanting to sell photos but don't take away the heart of what the character dining experience is about.

Future Guy

It's stuff like this that just betrays an open contempt for customers. Disney knows that there's nothing they can do, short of putting razor blades in the food, that will kill Chef Mickey's popularity with the average guest. So they do stuff like this to transparently wring as much money as they can from people, because they know that for every customer they lose, two or three more clueless souls will be there to take their place.

DisneyNut2007

I'm starting to think this might be permanent. To me, this entertainment manager cares more about selling photos than character safety or the guests who are already spending a lot of money to eat with the characters.

What's the manager's name?

If everybody is going to complain about this move, they should direct their concerns to him/her.

biggy H

Trial over already?

Apparently there are reports on twitter that the trial is already over and Mickey is back at the tables. Not seen the twits myself, just reported on another website. All we need now is confirmation.

WDWVito

Not happy with it.

$29.99 is way too much for any of the pictures at the parks.

It is the interaction with the characters that make the meal. People getting their own pictures are more special than the ones you buy.

They could just have a Photo Pass CM follow the characters and take pictures while the characters visit the tables. That would be worth it.
It would capture the surprise and magic of the moment.
Sure, it would cost to have a Photo Pass CM there, but it is still pushing another point of revenue and gives a benefit to the vacationers.

Not sure how much time or hardware it takes from "take" to "print" of the pictures, but the cost could out weight themselves.

How about giving a refund to all the people that bought the pictures during this "trial". But, that still does not help with the kids that were upset Mickey did not come to see him.

GMRO

So did this mean the other characters did not visit the tables as well? OR just MM?

My wife and I ate at Chef Mickey's 2 December's ago. Was our first time. We didn't think the food was bad...or the atmosphere. In fact it was her b-day and they hooped it up for her. It was money well spent for our meal. We were on the DP and just tipped out. Either way we said we'd do it again. To us it was a nice change. That trip we had booked a few dinners with characters...and this one in our opinion was the best. It sure beat out the "backyard bbq" that we tried. Hated that! Was 2 hits on the DP plan and in a short time we grew tired of the character slamming and rude patrons. The food was sub standard. Wanna get ripped off, do that one! We both couldn't wait to get back to our resort that night! Just too rowdy and unorganized for us.

I do hope they change back after the test. Hopefully senior management will recognize things sometimes look better on paper vs. real life.

Mimi

Well guys, there will be a reservation opening up for breakfast on Nov. 16 if anyone wants it. I made it only because I knew we'd be meeting Mickey in a relaxed and fun atmosphere.

Why must all the changes that Disney makes be negative? Did they forget it's supposed to be a happy place?

Most Lame.

UncleScrooge

This is sad. WDW relies on repeat customers, and people only return again and again when they don't feel like they are getting ripped off. Guests are already paying top dollar for admission, and then spend a lot more for the specific purpose of having meal with the characters; now only to find out (after they have already arrived for their reservation) that they are going to have to fork over even more for their kid to have a picture with Mickey. This is a blatant attempt to squeeze every last penny out of the guest; and furthermore it puts parents in an awkward position (their kid is all excited about seeking Mickey, so now they feel obligated to spend the extra money not to disappoint their child). People don't like being taken advantage of, and this kind of thing will only backfire in the long run.

TRONorail10

Yeah but you are missing the point. You are paying for a character breakfast. You paid to have the characters come by and you can interact or take pictures of them at your table. Why should you have to pay to get a picture and wait on a line at the front door. Why not just go into ToonTown and meet him there.

If everyone feels this same way, then these are the EXACT words that you need to tell Disney guest relations on your visit. The only way this photo thing will be cut is if guests keep constantly making the same complaint. The best argument being that you PAID for the characters to come to your table or if the prices were cheaper, then you wouldn't mind the photo with Mickey. Disney's biggest weakness is its ego, so until enough people tell them they are doing something wrong, they will think that every decision they make is in the right.

SoccerMickey

I don't understand what the big deal is. You aren't obligated to purchase the Disney Photopass picture. The photographers/attendants will be more than happy to take a family photo with you and your family with your camera. What's the big deal if you are getting your picture taken with Mickey at the table or at the front of the restaurant in front of a nice backdrop? At least with Mickey in the front it gives you more time to enjoy your breakfast and dinner without one more interruption from a character.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom