Change to the Pirates early 2018

disneygeek90

I'm still not really understanding why people are so emotionally connected to an AA associated to the enslavery of women. I get that it's one of the original rides. But we've added Jack Sparrow and the gang, surely this isn't changing the ride as a classic. Maybe just making it a little less offensive/cringe worthy to half the population.

FoozieBear

I'm still not really understanding why people are so emotionally connected to an AA associated to the enslavery of women. I get that it's one of the original rides. But we've added Jack Sparrow and the gang, surely this isn't changing the ride as a classic. Maybe just making it a little less offensive/cringe worthy to half the population.

This is a good point. I agree with it, just personally I would have felt it wasn't worth the time/money for Disney to do, but if it does mean something to other guests visiting the park (who felt the scene was uncomfortable to them) then I'm behind the change. I just wonder what fueled this decision...did guests complain? I wonder why Disney felt that this was worth closing a hugely popular attraction for a few months.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Don't forget that people also raged when Jack Sparrow was added to the rides.

disneygeek90

This is a good point. I agree with it, just personally I would have felt it wasn't worth the time/money for Disney to do, but if it does mean something to other guests visiting the park (who felt the scene was uncomfortable to them) then I'm behind the change. I just wonder what fueled this decision...did guests complain? I wonder why Disney felt that this was worth closing a hugely popular attraction for a few months.
I'm not sure. I know I myself had always found the seen a little odd and just kind of in poor taste. I know that's not what was intended when they created it, but with sexual harassment accusations seemingly coming up every other day, maybe Disney decided this wasn't something they needed to portray in their attraction.

Bender123

Because pirates tend to do pirate things...Even if you want to make a story grounded in "PC" culture, it still needs to have some grounding in reality, or people will start to be pulled from the immersion of the story. Part of the reason why Pirates works, is because the immersion of the story is all consuming. The pirates are silly, but the story is about what pirates do. They are crass, they are violent and they do bad things. Up until the 90s, the pirates still stayed within a general rue of being pirates, with a story that showed them as less than scary.

With the changes...Jack/pirates being chased off by brooms/etc...the pirates look less and less like, well....pirates. They are falling more and more to the cartoon side and less and less recognizable as a threatening group of plunderers. The narrative has switched from "Look at pirates doing bad things in a fun way" to "Look at pirates not really acting like pirates".

Small changes can affect the immersion of the attraction and detract from the story. Those small changes have a massive impact on the feel of the attraction. While the overall impact of one scene may be small, the cumulative impact of the edits has left the artistic vision of the ride drastically altered.

disneygeek90

Because pirates tend to do pirate things...Even if you want to make a story grounded in "PC" culture, it still needs to have some grounding in reality, or people will start to be pulled from the immersion of the story. Part of the reason why Pirates works, is because the immersion of the story is all consuming. The pirates are silly, but the story is about what pirates do. They are crass, they are violent and they do bad things. Up until the 90s, the pirates still stayed within a general rue of being pirates, with a story that showed them as less than scary.

With the changes...Jack/pirates being chased off by brooms/etc...the pirates look less and less like, well....pirates. They are falling more and more to the cartoon side and less and less recognizable as a threatening group of plunderers. The narrative has switched from "Look at pirates doing bad things in a fun way" to "Look at pirates not really acting like pirates".

Small changes can affect the immersion of the attraction and detract from the story. Those small changes have a massive impact on the feel of the attraction. While the overall impact of one scene may be small, the cumulative impact of the edits has left the artistic vision of the ride drastically altered.
Yes... which is why we can see them as drinking, burning houses, chasing after people, getting thrown in jail, stealing gold etc. All of which get the point across of their agendas without having to show the enslavery of women. You can't tell me that not depicting the selling of women somehow detracts that much from the storyline. As you've already stated, Jack already had done so by being a Pirate you wanted to root for.

EricsBiscuit

i don't think you understand art. The beauty of art is that it brings out different emotions in each of us. Although you may ride Pirates and think it's a stupid heap of junk, some may ride it and be brought back to their childhood. Magically transported to a different world for its 7 minute duration.

"I'm still not really understanding why people are so emotionally connected to an AA associated to the enslavery of women"

By the same token, if I had a brother who killed somebody, would I still love my brother? Of course, not what he did, but I would still have unconditional love for him (I don't have siblings this was just an example).

disneygeek90

i don't think you understand art. The beauty of art is that it brings out different emotions in each of us. Although you may ride Pirates and think it's a stupid heap of junk, some may ride it and be brought back to their childhood. Magically transported to a different world for its 7 minute duration.

"I'm still not really understanding why people are so emotionally connected to an AA associated to the enslavery of women"

By the same token, if I had a brother who killed somebody, would I still love my brother? Of course, not what he did, but I would still have unconditional love for him (I don't have siblings this was just an example).
The ride isn't going away. It's one scene being altered.

OneofThree

Enslavery of people is one of the most disgusting things to ever happen to the human race.

Yeah, I don't think anyone's really suggesting otherwise. Strangely enough though, my sisters and I have rode POTC since 84', and I didn't grow up to beat, exploit, or otherwise marginalize women any more than my sisters grew up thinking such behavior was in any way acceptable. Imagine that.

disneygeek90

Yeah, I don't think anyone's really suggesting otherwise. Strangely enough though, my sisters and I have rode POTC since 84', and I didn't grow up to beat, exploit, or otherwise marginalize women any more than my sisters grew up thinking such behavior was in any way acceptable. Imagine that.
I in no way stated that riding POTC would in any way make you more likely to exploit women. I just think it's worth acknowledging the fact that this scene could make others legitimately uncomfortable, on a theme park ride. I didn't have any strong hate to the scene, but I do understand why Disney is going this route.

graphite1326

With this change, I'm afraid that the hanging scene in the stretching room at HM night be next, because I'm sure there are a few people who think that it is "too frightening" and "unsuitable for children". Maybe someone will think the portrayal of the natives on JC is racist, or the lions eating the zebra displays cruelty to animals and is offensive to vegans. This is a slippery slope that Disney is heading down, a revisionist history of sorts brought on by pandering to unnecessarily triggered minority groups.
Great! Unfortunately you are probably right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom