News Catherine Powell's position eliminated

Rodan75

Hawking his book? Word is he's trying to position himself for a post-Disney career in pre-fabricated "outreach" in order to run for President in '24.

Iger has been trying to find women and non-whites to elevate to senior leadership. It's telling that Ms. Powell was simply fired instead of shuffled into something new in Burbank's current "We're Looking For Women!" corporate environment.

Ms. Powell obviously took the fall for the Star Wars Land flops on both coasts.

Very disturbing how you are positioning this!

Rodan75

The point I was trying to make (and perhaps failed to share) is that Chapek is an absolute disaster for the parks but refuses to take any credit. I wish he'd resign already.

Not too long ago, folks were saying that Powell was the biggest problem with P&R(I think mostly Spirit). So weird that folks are suddenly in her corner.

Animaniac93-98

897.gif

If you're suggesting what I'm saying is comparable to Trump prior to his election, keep in mind that he was a very public figure who sold his persona and brand name in media and products for decades leading up to his eventual win. Regardless of whether you or I like him, he has a personality to latch onto and national name recognition.

Iger in contrast has avoided the spotlight despite being CEO of the world's largest media company for almost 15 years, in sharp contrast to Eisner and his regular TV appearances. He is no where near as well known and his attempts now to sell himself will only open up any can of worms he's successfully hidden by not putting himself out there for years, along with his lack of charisma and personality. I don't know what US politics will be like in 4 years, but right now is not a very good climate for CEOs to be running in progressive politics, which is the niche Iger wants to participate in (he may of course change his mind and flips sides like Trump did).

T.Will

Is there anyone in management that could do good for the parks, or is everything doom and gloom upstairs and people like me are naïve for ever hoping for better things?

TP2000

Is there anyone in management that could do good for the parks, or is everything doom and gloom upstairs and people like me are naïve for ever hoping for better things?

Kevin Feige has been said to be a HUGE Disneyland fan and is seen hanging out in Anaheim's parks regularly. He's sort of a younger John Lassetter who can remain sober in public and knows how to keep his hands to himself.

Rodan75

They were? I don't remember us talking about her much at all. Or ever. 🧐

I remember lots of talk about Meg Crofton several years ago, but this Powell lady seemed under the radar.

I could be confusing the two. I thought both were maligned, mostly because Powell didn’t have Parks experience before the DLP assignment. But unless there was a nick name, I can’t find any posts I was thinking of. So I stand corrected.

TP2000

I could be confusing the two. I thought both were maligned, mostly because Powell didn’t have Parks experience before the DLP assignment. But unless there was a nick name, I can’t find any posts I was thinking of. So I stand corrected.

Yeah, I think you are thinking of Meg Crofton around 2015. Catherine Powell was flying way under the radar in the last 18 months she had this gig. No one ever talked about her or knew her, which might have been part of her downfall.

She was based out of Burbank and lives in SoCal, but it's unclear if when she visited WDW she ever made her presence known to anyone besides Kalogridis. Again, no one ever seemed to talk about her or even know she existed.

tirian

The Hollywood Reporter is now reporting a direct tie-in with Powell's firing and the underperformance and lack of crowds at Star Wars Land on both coasts. Powell worked in Burbank and lives in SoCal.

Also interesting is the slight dig at Iger who just was in the New York Times yesterday pandering to SJW's that Disney would get more women and non-whites into senior leadership. Iger will obviously start work on that... um... next week.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...wn-sluggish-star-wars-land-attendance-1242748
I actually saw Iger on The View this morning.
Hawking his book? Word is he's trying to position himself for a post-Disney career in pre-fabricated "outreach" in order to run for President in '24.

Iger has been trying to find women and non-whites to elevate to senior leadership. It's telling that Ms. Powell was simply fired instead of shuffled into something new in Burbank's current "We're Looking For Women!" corporate environment.

Ms. Powell obviously took the fall for the Star Wars Land flops on both coasts.
Very disturbing how you are positioning this!

As @TP2000 said, industry news is reporting she took the fall for SWGE.

Also, can we briefly pause to point out that even though some fans hate SWGE and others claim it’s all a matter of opinion, the industry does consider it to be “sluggish.” IMO, the attendance problems are due more to price gouging than SWGE, but nobody seems to want to publicly admit that except the Motley Fool article from a few weeks ago.

If Chapek and Iger really did make her the fall guy — fall gal — for the final form of SWGE and the recent price gouging, I hope this haunts Iger’s political career. Two guys make bad creative business decisions and blame the woman in charge of ops. But let’s be honest. It won’t affect him. The press is stumbling over themselves trying to get exclusive interviews about the same book, and they’re slobbering all over him as if he were the second coming of Obama.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom