Casual Look for CMs???

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
They are minor changes and to non-costumed cast. It's more a case really of keeping up with the times. I don't see any problem, and I would really describe it as casual.

rsoxguy

I really don't see these changes as a major issue. The policy change regarding pantyhose is particularly practical in the Summer months.

cblodg

Original Poster
Yes, and I would love to see him take a part time job as a CM. He could stand at the corner of Casey's and talk baseball with the guests. (Well, OK, just with me)

Could I stand next to you and just listen? I wouldn't talk, just listen...

castlecake2.0

It would be interesting to see what costumes Disney will say 'require' pantyhose as part of the full costume as according to the article. Im picturing lots of costumes right now that would just look awkward without them. And although I cant claim to know how hot wearing pantyhose, there are lots of costumes that would be hot in the Florida sun regardless, my flannel shirt, brown cords, and hiking boots come to mind :shrug:

wdwfan22

For professional staff they have not enforced that rule in years. I'm glad to see Disney is keeping up with the times.

cblodg

Original Poster
It would be interesting to see what costumes Disney will say 'require' pantyhose as part of the full costume as according to the article. Im picturing lots of costumes right now that would just look awkward without them. And although I cant claim to know how hot wearing pantyhose, there are lots of costumes that would be hot in the Florida sun regardless, my flannel shirt, brown cords, and hiking boots come to mind :shrug:

I would have to guess that the tour guide or MSUSA costumes would be ones. Though I admit I have no idea :shrug:

raven

The Disney Look has been updated recently and a new book is coming out. I just wonder if they will be enforcing the rules on the CPs because I still see quiet a few with very visible tattoos (Haunted Mansion), body piercings (Fantasyland) and converse Hi-Tops (in Tomorrowland). This type of thing is what makes regular CM's file complaints when they are reprimanded for the same thing.

TP2000

The whole Camp Shirt thing for men is unfortunate, in my opinion. You rarely see men wearing them here in SoCal (Hawaiian shirts are something else entirely, which you do see in SoCal), but when I'm back East on business I do see guys trying to pull that Camp Shirt look off in the office or at a nice dinner. It rarely works for them.

A Camp Shirt is the male equivalent of the housedress or muu-muu. It's just a big, overcut swath of fabric that an overweight and/or maturing man likes to wear because it makes them feel like they are camoflauging it. It's not really camoflauged though, it's just covered in billowing fabric without much style.

It's rather unfortunate Disney felt they needed to lower their standards and allow men to wear Camp Shirts to the office. It's very rarely a flattering look. :rolleyes:

TP2000

The Disney Look has been updated recently and a new book is coming out. I just wonder if they will be enforcing the rules on the CPs because I still see quiet a few with very visible tattoos (Haunted Mansion), body piercings (Fantasyland) and converse Hi-Tops (in Tomorrowland).

Don't they have foremen and supervisors to handle this sort of thing? If there are rules against that, those CM's shouldn't be allowed to start their shifts by their immediate supervisors until they fix the issue.

Why wouldn't immediate supervision in the park take care of those types of glaring problems? :confused:

raven

Don't they have foremen and supervisors to handle this sort of thing? If there are rules against that, those CM's shouldn't be allowed to start their shifts by their immediate supervisors until they fix the issue.

Why wouldn't immediate supervision in the park take care of those types of glaring problems? :confused:

Because they are CPs and Disney bends over backwards to do anything for them.

castlecake2.0

I think a lot has to do with specific departments as well. In Canada food and beverage I remember wondering why I was sent back before I could start my shift to fix my hair or costume piece, when next door in the UK they were allowed to get away with so much more!

Also, slightly off topic, but another thing that needs to be cracked down on I believe is cast walking to their posistion and what they are carrying with them. Im thinking again about WS where I would often see CMs walking to or from break holding a quick service soda in their hand... bad show.

Erin_Akey

Maybe i am crazy, but WHO WEARS PANTYHOSE ANYMORE??? I work in a professional environment and i have not seen a lady in them in years!

Now- Character costumes etc, sure they would need them as part of the character, but for women in general, I think it is a smart move to get rid of them! YUCK! I cannot even FATHOM having to put a pair on anymore!

SSE

I think Disney should remove their ban on facial hair (semi-serious). It is a good idea but I used to have a nice goatee and trying to shave everyday kills my face. It gets so cut up and I hate it I just wish I could have a day where my face didn't start bleeding because I needed to shave.

cblodg

Original Poster
I think Disney should remove their ban on facial hair (semi-serious). It is a good idea but I used to have a nice goatee and trying to shave everyday kills my face. It gets so cut up and I hate it I just wish I could have a day where my face didn't start bleeding because I needed to shave.

Solution to this: have a professional barber shave you every month or two months and then use an electric razor.

I'll admit that I have yet to see a tattoo on a CM, but I have seen badly worn sneakers on some of the younger CMs and can only guess those are CPs. IMO, Disney does it right. I know I'm gonna get ripped apart for this, but this whole "free to be you and me" stuff has gone too far. Where I work, dental insurance company, it is business casual but must avoid the three B's (, butt and belly). Also, we have turned down so many 'young professionals' because they have a tattoo on their necks and would be in the public eye. It's simply not professional. As I told a friend, you do what corporate wants, or you don't get a corporate job.

mp2bill

Yes, and I would love to see him take a part time job as a CM. He could stand at the corner of Casey's and talk baseball with the guests. (Well, OK, just with me)

That'd be awesome! They could have announcer boy (Don Orsillo for you non-NESN watching folk) inside taking orders!

SinginSarah

Really the enforcement on costuming regulations is up to the management of each particular area. Some places are more relaxed than others. I worked in costuming, and I had a coworker who had tattoos on his arms, at one location nobody cared and at another he had to wear a long-sleeved undershirt all the time because the manager called him on it. I've been called on having earrings that were dangly and got away with it at another location.

Working in costuming we try to get people on the proper Disney Look, but after they go to their work location, there isn't much we can do.

Another fun tidbit: bottoms have to be worn at the belly button, no lower. I know quite a few men who could never survive that rule. And also if you get pants that are too long and end up stepping on them and ripping them, you will get charged for it.

I always find myself looking at CMs at the park and picking out things they need to change. I just wish I had the power to say something about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom