Castle Refurb in DL paris

Sir_Cliff

I actually thought Toontown was supposed to go behind the Fantasyland station. I gather this is for something else entirely?
Is there any desire to build more Toontowns?

I thought that concept had more or less fallen by the wayside. I'm not a huge Toowntown booster, but I do think it's at least better than the single-franchise lands Disney has become so fond of lately.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I actually thought Toontown was supposed to go behind the Fantasyland station. I gather this is for something else entirely?
I’ve never seen anything about a Toontowin outside of the berm (though I’d like to) - all I’m familiar with is using the cast tunnel from the theatre to access an undisclosed attraction beyond the berm, and the theatre as a queue / preshow building.

cjkeating

I’ve never seen anything about a Toontowin outside of the berm (though I’d like to) - all I’m familiar with is using the cast tunnel from the theatre to access an undisclosed attraction beyond the berm, and the theatre as a queue / preshow building.
That sounds like a great plan.

coruscant

Pictures posted on a french forum show already scaffold being placed around the castle (front and back side of the castle). The pictures comes from a flight done on 9 January. the pictures obviously is not mine. Some golden spires have already been removed together with the pyro elements on the castle.

03.JPEG

25.JPEG

cjkeating

Pictures posted on a french forum show already scaffold being placed around the castle (front and back side of the castle). The pictures comes from a flight done on 9 January. the pictures obviously is not mine. Some golden spires have already been removed together with the pyro elements on the castle.

View attachment 523050

View attachment 523051
Great to see... kind of happy the scaffolding is going up while the park is closed. This way when the park reopens I expect we'll see the full themed tarp and then the grand unveiling at the end of the year.

coruscant

Yes I think they will do it while the park is closed, so hopefully when it reopens (not sure it will be in February as things stand in Europe and especially in France but you never know). The should put all the scaffoldings up and the theme tarp. Let's see if more pictures pop up

coruscant

two thirds of the castle are now covered in schaffolding as you can see from the pictures below.
The pictures come from an internal video sent to CMs. The pictures were published in the following link (in French):

1612177046612.png

1612177072770.png

1612177087141.png
1612177095983.png

With the opening now recheduled for the 3 April, most likely the castle will be already covered completely by then with the themed tarp in place also, as you can see from the concept idea below:

1612177184682.png

cjkeating

All looks good! I am sure the construction workers are enjoying doing this in an empty park at the moment.

In related news the Town Square gazebo should be fully replaced/complete in time for the planned reopening in April.

Bonbondisney

Can you imagine the crowds if they showed Dreams for a while! 😂 I rewatched it the other day and hadn’t noticed how few fireworks Illuminations has compared to Dreams. I would like to see Illuminations again but I would love Dreams to come back, Illuminations has none of the emotion! My friend thinks the next castle show will have even less fireworks so they don’t damage the castle refurb, I hope she’s wrong but combined with cost saving I suspect she’s right

coruscant

unfortunately I think your friend is right. Any next show at the castle will have less fireworks being launched from the castle itself. Both Dreams and Illuminations have damaged a lot the castle in the recent years. Unless they can come up with any sort of new launch system that will not create the same problems as these two shows, they will focus more on projections on the castle and fireworks launched from the roofs of fantasyland.
I think that might be a problem due to the shape of the castle in Paris. While the others, even the one at Disneyland have large balconies that can launch some fireworks, the one in Paris has all the towers very close together and so it's easy to get damaged.

As for Illuminations vs Dreams, I agree, bring Dreams back again. A much better show IMHO.

Bonbondisney

That would be such a shame, projections are beautiful but they are by far the best when combined with the fireworks, I can’t believe now Dreams even had the Catherine wheels fireworks spinning on it!

dennis-in-ct

Just out of curiosity, when was the last attraction that opened in DLP? Was it Star Tours?
I feel like it’s been ages since that park had a new attraction. I would think they would want to open something for its 30th birthday next year.

Sharon&Susan

Just out of curiosity, when was the last attraction that opened in DLP? Was it Star Tours?
I feel like it’s been ages since that park had a new attraction. I would think they would want to open something for its 30th birthday next year.
If you're talking about Star Tours II, technically yes. Last completely new one that wasn't an overlay was Buzz Lightyear in 2006

dennis-in-ct

dlp hasnt gotten much new in decades, but at least they are going hard in dsp. that park has been a disaster from day 1
I remember visiting DSP months after it opened and being horrified that after exiting the indoor entrance studio building that I could stand in that one spot and seeing the ENTIRE park. If you looked to the left and right you saw every building that was in the parks boundaries. All on back pavement- one level.

I was told by a women on the RER from Paris that the Studio “had no imagination”.

The new plans for DSP are long overdue. I am rooting for the new park. It might actually be a nice little park some 20 years later!

EPCOTCenterLover

I remember visiting DSP months after it opened and being horrified that after exiting the indoor entrance studio building that I could stand in that one spot and seeing the ENTIRE park. If you looked to the left and right you saw every building that was in the parks boundaries. All on back pavement- one level.

I was told by a women on the RER from Paris that the Studio “had no imagination”.

The new plans for DSP are long overdue. I am rooting for the new park. It might actually be a nice little park some 20 years later!
California Adventure was a Disney Imagineering masterpiece in comparison - even in 2001!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom