Castle pics 3/12/05

askmike1

General Grizz said:
Everything looks MUCH better at night. Just like the Epcot wand.

Nice shots!
What is this I hear? General Grizz is saying something good about the wand?
eye-popping.gif
Just when I thought I heard everything.

-Michael

First, I will say the same thing I said about the Cake. Sure it's temporary, and a cute novelty for those of us that have been to WDW many times but I feel sorry for those who have never been there, and may never be there again, that their one and only time visiting the Magic Kingdom and they don't even get to see the Castle the way it always looks. They get some idea of it, but not the famous Disney World Castle that they have seen in photographs and wanted to see in person all their lives.

That said, I think it looks cool and I look forward to seeing the final product. Still, SHAME on whoever greenlighted taking the Castle away from those once-in-a-lifetime guests!

speck76

Original Poster
626 said:
First, I will say the same thing I said about the Cake. Sure it's temporary, and a cute novelty for those of us that have been to WDW many times but I feel sorry for those who have never been there, and may never be there again, that their one and only time visiting the Magic Kingdom and they don't even get to see the Castle the way it always looks. They get some idea of it, but not the famous Disney World Castle that they have seen in photographs and wanted to see in person all their lives.

That said, I think it looks cool and I look forward to seeing the final product. Still, SHAME on whoever greenlighted taking the Castle away from those once-in-a-lifetime guests!

Even though it may have a little scenery on it....it is still the same castle. From the back side, it looks the exact same as it always has. I understand not everyone can go to WDW as much as I do.....but if a little added scenery is going to ruin one's trip, maybe that person needs to take a deep look inside at what is truely important in life.

askmike1

The main problem with the castle cake was that it looked nothing like a castle. So many weddings were cancelled that year because who wants to pay all that money for a wedding with a cake as the backdrop. The decorations this time should not alter the view from the wedding pavillion.

CTXRover

askmike1 said:
The main problem with the castle cake was that it looked nothing like a castle. So many weddings were cancelled that year because who wants to pay all that money for a wedding with a cake as the backdrop. The decorations this time should not alter the view from the wedding pavillion.

They don't. I was walking the beach near GF last weekend and thought to look in the wedding pavilion for that very reason. From that distance, the castle doesn't look any different than normal. The most you can see without straining is the shiny reflection off the silver swirls around the turrets (actually this is very obvious with the sun out). If you look closely you can see the gold around the turrets, but it surely doesn't take anything away from the look of the castle. It actually adds a lot to the enchantment from that angle.

CTXRover

celestia said:
The mirror is so distracting with its size.. :(

I really miss the clock.

Don't worry, it'll be back by the end of 2006 when the mirror and the rest of the overlay is removed.

I still think the mirror is a nicely detailed decoration and is special and unique for this milestone in Disney's theme park history.

General Grizz

askmike1 said:
What is this I hear? General Grizz is saying something good about the wand?
eye-popping.gif
Just when I thought I heard everything.

-Michael
I've always said it looks good as a temporary structure (except when viewed from many angles), but really does LOOK good at night.

Again... as a TEMPORARY structure...

donsullivan

Premium Member
Does anyone know if there will be a new lighting package for the castle to better highlight things like the mirror once it's finished?

Kwit35

Great pics guys. Thanks for making my PDD go from an 8 to a 10 on a scale of 1-10. I like the overlay. It adds something very special to the castle for the anniversary. I also like the 'mirror'. Sure it is big, but what would be the point of having those beautiful rotating images, if you could only see them right up close.

General Grizz

626 said:

At least the Castle isn't TP'ed in the long term... ;)

Buzzforprez

PamelaNiebergal said:
I think the mirror as well as the castle overall look beautiful, especially at night. I wasn't a big fan of the cake overlay but I think this really adds to the beauty of the castle-besides it's not forever.[/QUOTE]

Didn't we think that about the wand and the hat too????????

LilDucky

donsullivan said:
I would suggest that you not pass judgement on whether you like it or not, until you've seen it in person. From what I've seen, the angle of view makes a really big difference on your impression of the whole thing.

If you see it straight on from Main Street, the proportions don't look all that bad. However, if you look at if from the sides you start to see how far forward of the front of the castle it is, the thickness of the sides and it starts to look a little strange and unbalanced.

I havent seen it in person, but thats exactly what I was thinking. In some of the pics Speck posted, the mirror looks fantastic. But in some of the pics...its looks a little too disproportional. But all things cant be perfect (although Disney comes dangerously close lol :animwink: ) It defenitely has something to do with the angles.

But in order to view the changing images, you pretty much have to look at the castle straight on anyways, so I'll have to guess that they accomplished the look they were going for. Overall, looks good. :D

General Grizz said:
At least the Castle isn't TP'ed in the long term... ;)

I've never even seen a picture of the Castle TP'ed ;) I was so depressed that I wasn't there for the official opening of SGE I stopped coming on here for, wow, about 4 months :hammer:

CTXRover

Buzzforprez said:
Didn't we think that about the wand and the hat too????????

I think most knew the hat wouldn't just be for the 100 YOM. The press releases themselves called it an official new icon for MGM when it was being built, so although I think some hoped it was temporary, I would have to say most in the back of their heads at least thought it was semi-permanent for quite a few years. I think the wand on the other hand was considered temporary, especially since it spelled out 2000. It staying was the only shocker of the two.

As for the castle overlay, I'd compare it more to the 25th castle cake overlay, which was much more involved than this, than the hat or wand. As with the cake decorations, these golden decorations will come down as well. To back me up that its only for the next 18 months is this direct quote from an official Disney press release that clearly states that "the special decor will be on display through 2006 during the "Happiest Celebration on Earth".

donsullivan

Premium Member
626 said:
I've never even seen a picture of the Castle TP'ed ;) I was so depressed that I wasn't there for the official opening of SGE I stopped coming on here for, wow, about 4 months :hammer:

I'm going to be abused for even posting this (and I'll deserve whatever I get) but here is a pic of the TP'd castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom