Castle Dream Lights Inexplicably Ended 12/31/10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STGRhost

I really don't see how not lighting the lights on the castle is any different than canceling a parade or show due to weather or not having an attraction open due to technical difficulties. In every case, Disney is not operating an attraction that they've promoted as being open. This is exactly why they have the fine print warnings everywhere (and you really don't have to struggle or search to find these warnings).

Does it mean you can't be disappointed? Certainly not. But just as Disney has no legalobligation to compensate you if you couldn't ride TOT because it was 101 while you were there, neither do they have to give you anything because you didn't see a light show during your stay. Additionally, they have no obligation to explain, in any detail, WHY the attraction was not offered. The fact that this GR CM did not come back with a reason does not mean there wasn't one. It doesn't even mean he didn't find one out, just that he didn't tell you what it was.

Now, the question of whether it is in Disney's interest to compensate you from a customer service standpoint is a little more open for debate. I am not sure why the GR CM did not offer you anything. Did you ask for compensation? What sort of compensation do you feel would have been appropriate? I don't see how a FP would fix the problem, and I really can't see any sort of monetary compensation being appropriate. So what are you expecting Disney to do to appease you? I'm not arguing, just honestly asking. There was obviously no way to have the lights come on at that point, so what would have been a reasonable solution to your problem?

Next Big Thing

I was there 1/2-1/8 and every night I was there they were NOT on, which upset us a bit, as we would have liked to see them at least once.

askmike1

Disney doesn't cancel shows without reason. Obviously there was some reason the show couldn't be presented through 1/3. I do know for a fact the lights were lit on 1/1/11. Things happen that are beyond control when it comes to the operation of a theme park. With that being said, I don't feel that you should be entitled to compensation. There are way to many people looking for handouts.
Exactly, things happen which make them need to change schedules. It sucks, be we all move on. I can promise you, there is no one in a dark, shady room rubbing their hands together, making an evil laugh and yelling different ways to screw the guests over. ;) Doesn't happen.

In fact, this probably explains the last-minute extension for Jingle Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom.

If I can offer a suggestion to the OP for the future... come in early December, you get all the benefits of Holiday season without the crowds.

mickey2008.1

I will tell you, if you write a letter, or send an email, there is a good chance something will be done. With misprinted material and no explanation, plus the nature of the cm, this clearly is out of your control. Evenif the lights were a technical problem, the main source of the problem is the cm being rude to you and making you feel dumbfounded.
Back in sept of 2009, we took our kids for the first time, and everything was closed, walled off, broken, or in midseason change over. Fantasmic had one showing all week! Plus we wanted to upgrade our rooms in advance, and were treated like we were vagrants by the cm. All we wanted to do was upgrade and pay for it. When i got back, i sent an email. 7 days later i was contacted by guest services, with a huge surprise. A refund of $367 and four park hoppers for three days with no expiration. I wasnt expecting that. And all i did was write one paragraph. They certainly made up for it, and we still continue to go, with no problems since. Power of the pen, or computer:D

Sir Goofy

Because their right to not do something because of the fine print located somewhere hard to find wouldn't keep me from still being upset about it. :confused:

Say, because of job or booking discount reasons, that I plan a trip where my last day was to see the first MSEP showing last year. And they didn't show it that night. For some reason that wasn't obvious. It just... Didn't happen. And then I go to guest relations, who clearly had no idea what was going on either, and had to spend quite some time finding an answer.

Then they come back to me with an answer of "well, if you check the fine print, we can cancel any attraction or show at any time".

What should I then do? Say "aw, shucks. You're right." and skip out of there singing zip-a-dee-do-da? Or can I still be bummed that I didn't get to see something I clearly had planned for, and leave without causing a scene or laying into a CM (as it seems the OP did)?

That seems like a perfectly acceptibile response to me.

And just because they have a disclaimer in the fine print doesn't mean Disney can't or shouldn't "toss the guy a bone" to make up for it and keep him happy. A couple free fastpasses or something could go a long way in a situation like this, where there was clearly something amiss, and something like that wouldn't cost Disney a penny. Disney is about going "above and beyond", isn't it? Clearly this would be the perfect opportunity to easy turn lemons into lemonade, and maybe today's post from the OP wouldn't be focused on how the Dreamlights weren't working (as advertised), but instead about the great CM that did everything they could to make up for it.

I dont think that there is anything wrong with being upset when something you expect is not fulfilled or offered, disclaimer or not. That being said, I find it absolutely ridiculous when people take a situation like this (and I am not saying that the OP did this.. im quite confident he didnt) and take their frustration out on the CM that they encounter. I see this happen far too often when I travel, as I fly almost every week for work. I can honestly say that I could NEVER be a gate agent, as clearly, the general public thinks that everything is their fault. I have many friends who are current or former CM's who often times encounter similar attitudes from guests who clearly think that it is directly their fault that the lights arent on.

I also find it troubling that someone should expect compensation because one piece of their plans werent fulfilled. If there is a disclaimer or not, why should someone be compensated for this? If someone feels that compensation as due, maybe they should start with treating the CM with respect, expressing their frustration to them (respectfully) and explaining that a trip was planned for the sole purpose of seeing the lights, and I would imagine that CM would be much more likely to offer some sort of compensation. I had a situation like this a few years ago at DHS, my daughters single ojective of the day was to ride TSM- the ride was down, and she lost it (she was 5...). A CM saw this, and came over to see if everything was OK. We explained my daughters dissapointment, however, that we understood, and we will try again tomorrow! (although, it was CLEARLY her fault the ride was down!!!)... The CM turned out to be a VP of customer service, and took complete ownership of the situation. She asked my daughter who her favorite princess was, and ended up arranging a dinner, at her expense at the princess story book dinner, and the next morning a Belle dress and accessories were delivered to our Villa. I know that it never woud have turned out that way had we become irate, and insinuated that the ride being non operational was her fault. We never ever expected any compensation for the ride being down.. things happen!

OK, im going to go eat McDonalds for dinner, then sue them next week because its their fault my cholesterol is high...

Buried20KLeague

I dont think that there is anything wrong with being upset when something you expect is not fulfilled or offered, disclaimer or not. That being said, I find it absolutely ridiculous when people take a situation like this (and I am not saying that the OP did this.. im quite confident he didnt) and take their frustration out on the CM that they encounter. I see this happen far too often when I travel, as I fly almost every week for work. I can honestly say that I could NEVER be a gate agent, as clearly, the general public thinks that everything is their fault. I have many friends who are current or former CM's who often times encounter similar attitudes from guests who clearly think that it is directly their fault that the lights arent on.

I also find it troubling that someone should expect compensation because one piece of their plans werent fulfilled. If there is a disclaimer or not, why should someone be compensated for this? If someone feels that compensation as due, maybe they should start with treating the CM with respect, expressing their frustration to them (respectfully) and explaining that a trip was planned for the sole purpose of seeing the lights, and I would imagine that CM would be much more likely to offer some sort of compensation. I had a situation like this a few years ago at DHS, my daughters single ojective of the day was to ride TSM- the ride was down, and she lost it (she was 5...). A CM saw this, and came over to see if everything was OK. We explained my daughters dissapointment, however, that we understood, and we will try again tomorrow! (although, it was CLEARLY her fault the ride was down!!!)... The CM turned out to be a VP of customer service, and took complete ownership of the situation. She asked my daughter who her favorite princess was, and ended up arranging a dinner, at her expense at the princess story book dinner, and the next morning a Belle dress and accessories were delivered to our Villa. I know that it never woud have turned out that way had we become irate, and insinuated that the ride being non operational was her fault. We never ever expected any compensation for the ride being down.. things happen!

OK, im going to go eat McDonalds for dinner, then sue them next week because its their fault my cholesterol is high...

I certainly hope you're not inferring that I think it's appropriate to make a scene and yell at the CM... In fact, I said just the opposite. :confused:

And it seems the OP also treated the CM with respect.

That being the case, I really don't understand the point of the whole second half of your post.

Sir Goofy

I certainly hope you're not inferring that I think it's appropriate to make a scene and yell at the CM... In fact, I said just the opposite. :confused:

And it seems the OP also treated the CM with respect.

That being the case, I really don't understand the point of the whole second half of your post.

I said in my post that I in no way infer that the OP acted that way, nor did I ever say you did- but I would assume that we have all seen people instances act that way- I think its wrong- that was my point.

The point of my post was that I disagree with any sort of expectation of compensation because something did not meet your expectations. If a CM told you while you were making reservations that they assured you the show would be available on 1/3, irregardless of ANY condition, they sure, maybe you should be compensated. In this case, Disney reserves the right to cancel any show, with or without notice- Why does that warrant compensation? I think that too many people these days EXPECT a handout, or compensation for something trivial. My experience that I outlined was had with absolutely NO expectations whatsoever of compensation, and had I been given the opportunity, I would have paid for what we received (which I tried to do at dinner, but was not allowed to, so I instead left a $75 tip for the waiter). Disney did nothing wrong here (other than maybe the CM didnt make it a magical day for you), in my opinion, which is just that, my opinion, there is absolutely no reason to write a letter with the expectation of compensation.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I have contacted Disney and will let you know if I hear anything back.

For the record, I don't think I responded rudely to any CMs. I realize the Guest Relations CM is not the one making decisions like when to end the Dream Lights, so I merely said "thank you" and departed. I do, however, feel that he did not treat us well.

Also, the recommendation of checking the Times Guide is irrelevant, I feel. Times Guides are printed each week, so I obviously cannot use them when planning my vacation. I can use the disneyworld.com schedule, which does not ever show Cinderella's Holiday Wish, so that's not helpful. I could assume that the lights will be shown with Holiday Wishes, but that does not mean they will not be shown upon the return to the normal Wishes show. The lights are shown on evenings when Wishes plays throughout November and much of December (and apparently much of January 2010)--Holiday Wishes only shows during MVMCP and the two weeks around Christmas. So, all I had to go with was information at disneyworld.com and on their press release page, both of which listed 11/8/10 as the start date and 1/3/11 as the end date. Just as I think someone who had extended an early November trip expecting the lights to start on 11/8 would have a right to be upset if the lights were not shown with no explanation, I feel as though I have a right to be upset. Most people design their vacations around information posted at disneyworld.com (park hours, water park closures, firework/Fantasmic! times, and planned refurbishments) and, I think, have a right to expect that information to be as accurate as possible. I think, for example, the average guest would be more than a little angry if they were waiting for Fantasmic! on one of the two nights they show it each week, and it was canceled with no explanation (weather or otherwise).

This is not the standard of treatment I have come to expect from Disney, and while many of you seem to think Disney ought to be able to do whatever it wants, because it legally covers its own behind, I do not. While McDonalds may not be liable for coffee I spill on myself b/c they have a message on each coffee cup, I hold Disney to higher standards than McDonalds. Just because Disney is not technically obligated to do ANYTHING once you enter the park (and they are not--everything could be closed and they could have no entertainment and their fine print message would still protect them) doesn't mean that is acceptable. I am only holding Disney to the standards it has set for itself.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Kyle, I see your point and completely understand why you thought the lights would be shown. You have every right to expect them to live up to what they advertise as do all consumers of any advertised product.

Disney's link that you gave is misleading at best.

askmike1

The times guide probably would have said whatever it was scheduled for (similar to how Jingle Jungle wasn't show in the times guide for the extended few days). The lesson to keep from this is that things happen, changes can be made at a moment's notice and we all move on.

There's a lightning storm and the electrical parade is cancelled. It happens. There are wind issues and Wishes is scaled down or cancelled. It happens. It starts raining hard and Fantasmic cancelled. It happens. One (maybe multiple) of the major attractions (TSM, RnRC, SM, TT, etc) goes down due to 'technical difficulties' and doesn't reopen all day. It happens.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
The times guide probably would have said whatever it was scheduled for (similar to how Jingle Jungle wasn't show in the times guide for the extended few days). The lesson to keep from this is that things happen, changes can be made at a moment's notice and we all move on.

There's a lightning storm and the electrical parade is cancelled. It happens. There are wind issues and Wishes is scaled down or cancelled. It happens. It starts raining hard and Fantasmic cancelled. It happens. One (maybe multiple) of the major attractions (TSM, RnRC, SM, TT, etc) goes down due to 'technical difficulties' and doesn't reopen all day. It happens.
Yes. Those things do happen. But they aren't ignored. They make announcements when Fantasmic! is canceled and they place Cast Members in front of closed attractions. My problem is this was very poorly handled. What would the average guest do if Wishes just did not happen with no announcement? 8 pm rolls around and there are no fireworks and no mention of fireworks. I would bet you would have a very long line of fuming guests at Guest Relations. And they wouldn't just "move on."

GymLeaderPhil

I think the biggest issue with the lights on the castle is that they are not indicated on the times guide (among many other unpublished offerings) and neither is Cinderella's Holiday Wish that would typically light them up. As far as I am aware the only point in which they would turn on, given that there is no show, is following the first showing of Wishes. I have not seen them just turn on at dusk when the lighting has lowered, but I also have not been in the park when there is neither the show or a showing of Wishes.

That being said the information that was provided on the press site (and likely redistributed elsewhere) may have been outdated or incorrect. I don't believe we will really ever know if was a concious decision to have them end early. However for logistical reasons I don't see why on one of the busiest weeks of the year that they shouldn't have been utilized since they weren't planned on being removed until the 7th. Heck the Christmas tree at Town Square just came down today. That's why I am leaning more towards a technical issue.

Guest Relations should have known though, regardless of internal communication issues, because they have the resources to fully research queries. If the Guest Relation Cast Member handled the situation the wrong way I would have pressed to see their supervisor on the spot. While the lights might not have come on, the miscommunication regarding them did inconvenience your time at the park.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this. Given that there is no formal announcement preceding the lighting of the castle (like the fireworks) there would not be an announcement made park-wide should technical issues occur. Cinderella's Castle, while visible from most areas of the park, does not impact the entire park like fireworks would. In addition while there are an abundance of Cast present outside when an attraction is closed or down, the Cast Members responsible for the lights are not in costume and probably not even in the vicinity of the Castle. Also consider the fact that there would need to be a lot of them to be placed around not only the front side, but also the sides and the back to effectively communicate the issue. That's simply not practical since there are an abundance of Cast Members like custodians who could answer questions should they arise.

WDWFigment

Just because Disney is not technically obligated to do ANYTHING once you enter the park (and they are not--everything could be closed and they could have no entertainment and their fine print message would still protect them) doesn't mean that is acceptable. I am only holding Disney to the standards it has set for itself.

Like I've said earlier in the thread, that disclaimer carries with it very little actual force. You can't just 'disclaim away' all obligations or accountability.

I guess you, and almost everyone else, are more understanding than I would be. For me, the issue wouldn't so much be the rude Cast Member. I've dealt with plenty of rude Cast Members, and while that sucks, I'd rather deal with 20 rude Cast Members than spend $300 extra and battle crowds because I planned my trip a few days early for the specific purpose of seeing a major aspect of entertainment that was advertised as being offered only to not be offered because of a voluntary decision on Disney's part.

Again, I think unforeseen circumstances beyond Disney's control are readily distinguishable from voluntary decisions to not adhere to previously announced offerings. The former is a valid reason, the latter is not.

I don't think seeking compensation amounts to looking for a "handout." A handout is getting something for nothing. Here, you'd be getting something for the extra money it cost to book during the busy season.

All of this assumes it was a voluntary decision. If something unexpected and out of Disney's control happened, preventing the lights from being displayed, I wouldn't expect anything (besides an apology for the rude Cast Member). If that's the case, as others have said, "things happen."

--I also don't know to whom the out-of-leftfield comment about being polite to Cast Members was directed at, but if it was at me (as it seems other portions of the post about "handouts" were directed at me), I in no way condone being rude to Cast Members. I understand it's one of those "don't shoot the messenger" scenarios; I have always been more than cordial with Cast Members, even if they do not reciprocate.

skyhawk8519

Like I've said earlier in the thread, that disclaimer carries with it very little actual force. You can't just 'disclaim away' all obligations or accountability.

I guess you, and almost everyone else, are more understanding than I would be. For me, the issue wouldn't so much be the rude Cast Member. I've dealt with plenty of rude Cast Members, and while that sucks, I'd rather deal with 20 rude Cast Members than spend $300 extra and battle crowds because I planned my trip a few days early for the specific purpose of seeing a major aspect of entertainment that was advertised as being offered only to not be offered because of a voluntary decision on Disney's part.

Again, I think unforeseen circumstances beyond Disney's control are readily distinguishable from voluntary decisions to not adhere to previously announced offerings. The former is a valid reason, the latter is not.

I don't think seeking compensation amounts to looking for a "handout." A handout is getting something for nothing. Here, you'd be getting something for the extra money it cost to book during the busy season.

All of this assumes it was a voluntary decision. If something unexpected and out of Disney's control happened, preventing the lights from being displayed, I wouldn't expect anything (besides an apology for the rude Cast Member). If that's the case, as others have said, "things happen."

--I also don't know to whom the out-of-leftfield comment about being polite to Cast Members was directed at, but if it was at me (as it seems other portions of the post about "handouts" were directed at me), I in no way condone being rude to Cast Members. I understand it's one of those "don't shoot the messenger" scenarios; I have always been more than cordial with Cast Members, even if they do not reciprocate.

Don't mess with WDWFigment, he's one of them lawyers..... <grin>

devoy1701

I feel compensation is due.

Write a respectable letter explaining your disappointment and how the CM made you feel. Guest Communications will take care of it.

Also, is "Sir Goofy" a reincarnation of "SirGoofy" that was on these boards about a year ago? jw... EDIT: nm, it doesn't appear to be in the context that their posts are using.

ddbowdoin

I feel compensation is due.

Write a respectable letter explaining your disappointment and how the CM made you feel. Guest Communications will take care of it.

Also, is "Sir Goofy" a reincarnation of "SirGoofy" that was on these boards about a year ago? jw... EDIT: nm, it doesn't appear to be in the context that their posts are using.

things happen... as Magical as WDW is, it's still reality and it's not a perfect world. To the OP: I think you're taking this as a tad too far

sweetpee_1993

things happen... as Magical as WDW is, it's still reality and it's not a perfect world. To the OP: I think you're taking this as a tad too far

Not to be difficult or anything but aren't you the person who stated your standards were higher than the average person? Perhaps his treatment by the Guest Relations CM wasn't up to his standards as is buying into a miniscule disclaimer after press statements & written literature in the park all nice & bold the day in question indicated he could reasonably expect something to happen that did not. If the OP feels he should contact Guest Relations then that's his perrogative. We each have our own rows to hoe in life.

Notice a CM was here in this thread and stated they were told clearly the lights would end on 1/1/11. Said CM also noted that there was no technical difficulties or weather issues. The switch simply wasn't flipped. Apparently 1/1/11 was, in fact, the last night for the lights. Now consider that on the night in question, 1/2/11, not one of the CMs in the area of the castle that the OP spoke with had this same information told to the CM who posted on this thread. Even the CM at Guest Relations, a place where questions are supposed to be brought & addressed, was completely inacurrate in the information they gave when that person stated the lights ended on 12/31. Clearly the biggest issue is lack of consistant communication of accurate information from those who made the scheduling decisions to every other CM who needed it. More importantly, the OP received the direct opposite of Disney's own level of customer service when he encountered a rude & indifferent GR CM. I'm not saying the GR CM should've offered up any sort of compensation. At minimum a sincere apology for the mix-up would've been appropriate rather than stating it was "the guest's problem, too bad". These are supposed to be the CM's who's greatest asset is their ability to assist guests with whatever questions or needs they may have. At the very least, Disney should most certainly be aware of the GR CM's handling of the problem/question. If that level of service is what represents their company I'm quite certain it's important information that needs to be addressed. Additionally, Disney should also be aware that their advertising & scheduling conflicts are an issue that should become closely attended to. If it impacts the guest, it's important.

Let's not cast judgement. We weren't there & this incident didn't impact our trip. A Disney trip may be a drop in the bucket for some but it's a bucket-load of hard-earned drops for others. Don't take that for granted lest you find yourself in that same position someday.

With that I shall dismount from my little soap box. Have a magical day.
:wave:

Buried20KLeague

It's odd to me that you would post a SECOND TIME how you feel, yet completely ignore comments directly replying to you (and the question you yourself asked... "Why?"), and avoid discussion.

Feels a tad like you run in the room, throw a sucker punch, then run out. :shrug:

Also, I'm not sure how you think he's taking anything too far. Disney put out a press release about an event. He booked his trip around that event. Event didn't happen. He posted here, originally, to see if anyone knew WHY said event didn't occur.

He's going to write a letter saying he wasn't happy he booked his trip around an event that should have happened but didn't... WITH NO EXPLANATION.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. I think he's reacting exactly as he should.

sweetpee_1993

It's odd to me that you would post a SECOND TIME how you feel, yet completely ignore comments directly replying to you (and the question you yourself asked... "Why?"), and avoid discussion.

Feels a tad like you run in the room, throw a sucker punch, then run out. :shrug:

Also, I'm not sure how you think he's taking anything too far. Disney put out a press release about an event. He booked his trip around that event. Event didn't happen. He posted here, originally, to see if anyone knew WHY said event didn't occur.

He's going to write a letter saying he wasn't happy he booked his trip around an event that should have happened but didn't... WITH NO EXPLANATION.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. I think he's reacting exactly as he should.

Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom